Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 9:18:06 PM EDT
I'm looking seriously at making one of these my next purchase.  Anyone have experience with either of them?
I've found a P40 (used, like new) for $375 at a nearby fun store.

csx76

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay how about any of the other Kahr's?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a P9 that I like a lot.  It's very flat and easy to conceal (much more so than a Glock 26), shoots anything I've fed it including Cor-bon 115-grain +P and Federal 9BPLE, and is more accurate at 25 yards than my Glock 19 and Glock 17.  The only thing I would change is the overly-thick slide release.  Other than that, it's great.

A member posted about the problems he was having with a P40 some time ago- apparently Kahr told him they didn't have the angle of the magwell down quite yet.  That aside, I'd stick with 9mm in that little light gun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a K9, a very early one.  It shoots quite well and is reliable except for some reloads that weren't resized quite enough.  I think Kahr fixed that by enlarging the chamber on later ones.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of second strike capability in case of a misfire.

It's pretty heavy for it's size at about 25 oz, but since I carry in a IWB holster, I don't notice it.  The weight is a plus when shooting, and the grip is IMHO very comfortable, especially for a small handgun.

One thing I heard (don't know if it's correct) about the P9 and P40 was that there were problems with the rails being a bit loose.  This was a while ago, so maybe that's been taken care of.

org
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input. I liked the feel of the K9 the first time I picked one up, but I wanted something lighter. Bingo - Polymer.
For this application I will probably go with the 9mm.

csx76

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#6]

P40 Covert, very light, easily concealable, 100% reliable with any TMJ ball ammo I feed, and more powerfull than the P9. kicks like mule. Holds 5 rounds of .40 caliber death, plus one in the pipe.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a P40-had it about a year now. I almost didn't buy it because of some of the comments that have been in previous posts, but I loved the feel and the weight, and I was looking for a daily CCW that was a little smaller than my MK 23. I've been carrying it now almost daily for the last 8mo. and have fired over 800 rds. through it at the range and out plinking around the farm. I have had none of the mentioned problems (delam. of the slides in the frame, mag. dropping out at the most innoportune times FTF. last rd., etc) the gun is a joy to shoot and has never let me down. Would I buy another? already have....

Chopperdave
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Our P9 works just right.  The hardest part is getting a good holster.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a K9 and a P9, I like them both.  I bought the P9 after the K9 so as to have a lighter carry piece for the summer.  They both like 115gr. Win Silvertips the best, 148gr. subsonics the least.  KAHR said that the twist is set up for Silvertips.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#10]
When you say p-40 aren't we talking KEL-TEC. I bought one almost new in box with manual for 220.00 out the door! I love mine except the DAO makes it a little new to get used to but the novel trigger asures that you can carry one in the pipe and its impossible to fire it if dropped(you can strike it with a hammer and the firing pin is never going to hit the round! At a gun show some dealer was telling me they were having a lot of KABOOMS With the barrels blowing up! But the same guy was telling(or trying to tell me) that the AR/15 was just like the AK a 100 yard rifle! Seems that KEL-TEC couldn't meet there demand for the little gun so some of there earlier models were nothing more than 9mm parts borred,slapped together to meet there 40 cal deadlines! Some of the early jams were caused by using the p-11 mags that the wing lips on the mags weren't short enough to let the 40 pop up into the bore! I can buy the p-11 mags file the lips on the mag and i'm good to go.  mine is ninty,thousands so its not one of the newwer models! fully loaded 10+1 it only weighes in at under 1 and 1/2 pounds(nice summer under the tee shirt carry). But be advised Go to KEL-TEC .com and you will find they no longer offer it so be carefull if you buy one,there must be a reason they no longer carry it! Other than the felt recoil and there p-32 out sells any small conceal and carry gun including see camp kar ect...   I like my p-40 but wouldn't mind having one in 32 also!  bob cole
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When you say p-40 aren't we talking KEL-TEC. I bought one almost new in box with manual for 220.00 out the door! I love mine except the DAO makes it a little new to get used to but the novel trigger asures that you can carry one in the pipe and its impossible to fire it if dropped(you can strike it with a hammer and the firing pin is never going to hit the round! At a gun show some dealer was telling me they were having a lot of KABOOMS With the barrels blowing up! But the same guy was telling(or trying to tell me) that the AR/15 was just like the AK a 100 yard rifle! Seems that KEL-TEC couldn't meet there demand for the little gun so some of there earlier models were nothing more than 9mm parts borred,slapped together to meet there 40 cal deadlines! Some of the early jams were caused by using the p-11 mags that the wing lips on the mags weren't short enough to let the 40 pop up into the bore! I can buy the p-11 mags file the lips on the mag and i'm good to go.  mine is ninty,thousands so its not one of the newwer models! fully loaded 10+1 it only weighes in at under 1 and 1/2 pounds(nice summer under the tee shirt carry). But be advised Go to KEL-TEC .com and you will find they no longer offer it so be carefull if you buy one,there must be a reason they no longer carry it! Other than the felt recoil and there p-32 out sells any small conceal and carry gun including see camp kar ect...   I like my p-40 but wouldn't mind having one in 32 also!  bob cole

I believe csx76 is referring to the Kahr Arms P40.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top