Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2009 6:55:46 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getiing a Calico Liberty I rifle in 9mm and making it into a SBR.

Anyone have any info on them.... looking for input from Calico owners. Worth a damn or crap?

I'm just looking for something different and odd.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Might want to thoroughly research them.

My understanding is they are problematic and customer service is shit from them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I traded into one with the idea of doing a SBR build with it.  It has been 100% reliable for me for the 500rd or so I have put through it.  I have only shot Winchester white box through it, so I can't say how it does with other ammo.  It is also pretty accurate, but the really weak point is the sights.  This thing really needs some optics on it.  I will eventually get a scope mount and red dot for it.

The ergonomics are very good except for the sights.  I will say again, the sights are the weak point in the carbine.  I love the straight down ejection and that you can use a shell catcher without it getting in the way.  The stock is pretty decent.  

The only other complaint I have is that the recoil is pretty sharp for a 9mm carbine.  It is not 'bad', but the recoil impulse is pretty sharp compared to my M-11/9 SMG (on semi) or to the Norinco Uzi I used to have.  It is pretty lightweight which adds to it.  I am not recoild sensitive at all, my favorite gun is my Benelli M1 12ga.  But I was surprised at the sharp recoil impulse.

Calico sells the pistol fore end, so that is not the problem.  So if you form 1 it, add the pistol fore end and chop the barrel, you should be good to do.  I will eventually get to it, but I have a 10/22, Saiga-12 & Rem 870 inline before the Calico.  Although I may do all 4 at the same time after I pay my income taxes.

I can't say anything about the Calico customer service as I haven't dealt with them.  I have seen the Calico 9mm upper for the M-11/9 and wasn't real impressed with the quality of work.  I have a Lage upper which is priced the same and there is no comparison in the quality of craftmanship.  The Lage upper is night & day better.  I can't say about function as I haven't shot the Calico 9mm upper, but the Lage is definitely worth the scratch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and I like it alot. I did some changes to it, but nothing that had to do with function.

It runs 100%....mines a M951, but same difference.

I tried to sell it a while back, but I don't think many people think much of them....and I think that is truely due to ignorance. Most people have never handled one or fired one. I am glad now that I did keep it.......I fell back in love with it

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
HK_dude is exactly on target. The people trashing them usually have never even fired one. I have had almost every model they made, my favorite is still the Liberty III pistol, just too much fun. I have never found ammo it won't shoot. One of the .22s I had had issues, but after about 200 rounds it seemed to work itself out. I was seriousely thinking of an SBR on one of my rifles, but ended up doing an AR in 300 whisper instead. Just a heads up, Calico CS was always great to me, but the company has changed hands since the last time I dealt with them so that may have changed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I love mine, don't know what the complaint about recoil is. This thing is a pussycat. Esp compared to blowback carbines like the Keltec sub 2000s
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact that it doesn't have a 6 pound bolt is very cool in my book. It has a delayed locking roller system ala HKish......it is very under-rated.

The Keltecs have such a violent recoil, they feel like they are going to beat themselves to pieces.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not saying it has alot of recoil, I am just surprised that a 5 or 6 pound carbine would have any recoil the is noticable.  It doesn't recoil much, but the impluse is sharp.  I liken it to a .40S&W vs. a .45ACP.  The .45 has more recoil, but the .40 is sharper.  The Calico isn't bad by any means, I was just surprised at the sharpness of the impluse.  Especially compared to a blowback such as the Cobray M-11/9.  I haven't shot alot of 9mm carbines, only my M-11/9 SMG, HK MP-5 and an semi Uzi.  The 9mm round is a pretty soft recoiling round unless you get into the super lightweight carry pistols (Kahr PM-9, etc) and even then it is very managable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top