Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2002 10:54:01 AM EDT
On one of my Oly lowers the trigger pin always walked out on me while shooting. So this past weekend I bought a set of Anti Walk pins to try and fix the problem. These are the type of pins that have the little lock style washer at the end. I am very happy with the finish and the overall function of the pin.

What I am wondering is, should I have peace of mind knowing that these aren't going to break down on me any sooner than a normal working pin would? Anyone have any tactical experience with these pins?

Thanks  for your comments!
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see any reason that they would break down.  Actually I'm not sure what you mean by "break down".

I suppose if they were made of an inferior metal they could wear out sooner than normal pins.  The C-ring keeping it in place should be trouble free under any normal use.  If you are throwing the rifle down rock cliffs or tie it up and drag it behind your car I guess there is a chance of losing the C-ring.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Actualy anti walk pins are a definite step up from the standard hammer / trigger pins. I have them on an M16 of mine that used to have constant pin walk problems. The hammer specificly. I now have no worries of having to always keep one eye for a pin starting to move. I would recomend you go to a hardware store and buy a few extra E clips. They can come off at the most inopertune times. Where I have lost mine the most frequently is taking the weapon in and out of the gun case. Sometimes I find the clip, most times not. Make sure your pins are hardened. It makes a difference.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't see any reason that they would break down.  Actually I'm not sure what you mean by "break down".

I guess when I said "break down" I meant any type of FTF with the pins.

Thanks for your insight.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
JohnM, perhaps I typed too soon...  The anti- walk pin I saw used C-clips rather than E-clips.  They make more of a complete circle around the pin and are much harder to take off.  The owner may have upgraded these himself (friend of mine with a registered M16).
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Not real sure how well they would stand up compared to normal pins, but I am a sucker for things working the way they should. I also had an Olympic lower that had the same problem (trigger pin walking), and thought about putting in anti-walk pins. Decided to try just replacing the pin with another mil-spec pin. Haven't had a problem since, and am happy I have that in instead of the anti-walk pins. Have you tried just replacing it with a new pin? I'd use the walk pins, but only before trying that first.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:Have you tried just replacing it with a new pin? I'd use the walk pins, but only before trying that first.

Yea I have tried other pins,but it looks like only am Anti-walk pin is needed

Crap like this is why I dont give Oly Arms anmore of my money. This damn lower has had so many problems with it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If your lower is not 'high-mileage', look at root causes first. A non-full-auto rifle shouldn't be experiencing "walk".

Check/replace...

(1) Hammer & trigger springs are strong.
    Aftermarket ones (not Colt/BM/Armalite)
    may be weak.
(2) Hammer spring legs may not be riding on
    pin grooves.
(3) Check disconnector spring for proper
    tension, positioning.
(4) Hammer has an internal "J-pin" spring
    that 'latches' onto central groove of
    hammer pin. Sometimes this is missing.
(5) Hammer/trigger pins' grooves have too
    much coating (parkerization, etc.) so
    spring legs don't sit deeply enough.
    Take a triangular file and deepen the
    groove by removing a tad of coating.

I had pin walk problems - Colt lower, Bushmaster "Colt parts kit" and some Colt pins.
Switched one pin set to Armalite pins, and cleaned up one pin set's grooves myself with dental floss & wet Comet, then cleaned & relubed pin w/CLP. No problems since - 500+ rounds later.

Some pins (Armalite, as I recall) have 3 grooves instead of two, and may perform better (i.e., left, center and right grooves instead of just one side and one center groove) since both hammer spring legs can latch on.

If you have a post-89 Colt lower (preban or postban) that went to the larger pin size of 0.170" there is also a wider pin available for the CR6724 "Match" SS bull-barrel rifle. These pins are 0.173" as I recall.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]
If your lower is not 'high-mileage', look at root causes first. A non-full-auto rifle shouldn't be experiencing "walk".

Check/replace...

(1) Hammer & trigger springs are strong.
    Aftermarket ones (not Colt/BM/Armalite)
    may be weak.
(2) Hammer spring legs may not be riding on
    pin grooves.
(3) Check disconnector spring for proper
    tension, positioning.
(4) Hammer has an internal "J-pin" spring
    that 'latches' onto central groove of
    hammer pin. Sometimes this is missing.
(5) Hammer/trigger pins' grooves have too
    much coating (parkerization, etc.) so
    spring legs don't sit deeply enough.
    Take a triangular file and deepen the
    groove by removing a tad of coating.

I had pin walk problems - Colt lower, Bushmaster "Colt parts kit" and some Colt pins.
Switched one pin set to Armalite pins, and cleaned up one pin set's grooves myself with dental floss & wet Comet, then cleaned & relubed pin w/CLP. No problems since - 500+ rounds later.

Some pins (Armalite, as I recall) have 3 grooves instead of two, and may perform better (i.e., left, center and right grooves instead of just one side and one center groove) since both hammer spring legs can latch on.

If you have a post-89 Colt lower (preban or postban) that went to the larger pin size of 0.170" there is also a wider pin available for the CR6724 "Match" SS bull-barrel rifle. These pins are 0.173" as I recall.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I've use anti-walk pins for more than a dozen years, with no problems.  Hint:  If right handed, put the E-clips on the right side, and if left handed, on the left.  This way, they cannot snag on clothing or web gear.

That being said, I have never had one come off except when I take it off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with bwiese, the only time I've had pins walk is when the hammer spring is installed upside down or when the legs didn't catch on the grooves of the trigger pin.

Byron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top