Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2004 9:30:59 PM EDT
I know a lever 4 plate is rated to stop 1 round of 30-06 AP, but will it stop multiple 308, 5.56, etc, rounds like a level 3?  Or is it good for one hit only, no matter the power of the round?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know a lever 4 plate is rated to stop 1 round of 30-06 AP, but will it stop multiple 308, 5.56, etc, rounds like a level 3?  Or is it good for one hit only, no matter the power of the round?

Thanks.

When you say level 3 are you talking about level III concelable body armor?  If so none of my level III armor will stop 308's or 5.56 rounds.  Concelable armor no matter what the rating is not rated for rifle rounds hits or sharp objects.  Unless there is something very new on the market that I don't know about.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My IIIA vest will stop handgun and it has a stab rating.  I haven't heard of a IIIA or less that has a rifle rating
Chris
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry guys but his question stated level 3 not 3a!

MisterPX, I have talked to a couple armor manufacturers and they said it was far easier for them to make a level 4 plate than a level 3 because of the fact that it only has to stop one round. Unless it is stated by the manufacturer to be multi hit level 4 it is not. Prices normally reflect this. With that said there are manufactures that make level 4 plates made to take multiple hits. SBA (Swedish body armor) is one and my fav. So..... a normal level 4 plate may stop more than one round but it is usually not made to.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 2:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry guys but his question stated level 3 not 3a!

MisterPX, I have talked to a couple armor manufacturers and they said it was far easier for them to make a level 4 plate than a level 3 because of the fact that it only has to stop one round. Unless it is stated by the manufacturer to be multi hit level 4 it is not. Prices normally reflect this. With that said there are manufactures that make level 4 plates made to take multiple hits. SBA (Swedish body armor) is one and my fav. So..... a normal level 4 plate may stop more than one round but it is usually not made to.

My appologizes.  I was reading/typing and trying to watch the election results at this same time.  According to this site has different armor ratings.  Maybe this will help you.

Link Posted: 11/3/2004 3:17:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok so here is a question for someone then.  I have a level IV tac vest.  But after my last post I was doing some research and found that you could buy level III hard plates and use them with level IIIA soft panels to equal a level IV vest.  If that is the case do you need to purchase another carrier to fit all that into or can you use the carrier from your soft panels?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]
KKhan, that's exactly what I wantd to know, thanks.

Night, you should be able to use your current carrier,  it seems you're in the position I'm in.  Your level 4 vest already should have 3a soft panels in it with a level 4 hard plate.  To get the multi hit capability without the AP protection, you should be able to buy a level 3 plate and drop it in place of the level 4's, as long as the old plate and the new are the same size.  Usually 10 X 12.  I'm not sure adding a 3a soft with a 3 hard plate will get you 4, because many 3 plates are rated at 3 with a 3a soft behinf it.  A stand alone 3 might do the job with a 3a soft behind it, but don't stake your life on what I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top