Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2009 7:29:13 PM EDT
I can get them from my dealer for about $16 each......I would have to have him order a few.

I want to know if anyone has tried them. I have seen the 25rd non-compact mags in person and they look well mad (for what they cost) and I like the compact style.

I have 5 of the TI polymers mags and they are the greatest, but I want to get more and I am not going to pay $44.95 plus shipping...and wait for a back order.

The new Black Dog 10/22 mags interest me, but they seem to be the same old thing.

Any info would be nice.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 10/17HMR conversion and I really like the 22magnum/17hmr version of the compact mags. They seem to be less than half the length of the standard hi-cap mag. There seems to be a lot of people that don't like the Shooter's Ridge compact mags but a lot of the aftermarket 10/22 type mags can be hit and miss. I would at least buy one since they are not expensive and see if it works for you –– if not, no great loss. I tried the 22 magnum/17HMR version of their mags just for heck of it figuring there was a million to one shot it might work but it worked like a champ so I bought 6 more just in case they never got popular and stopped being made. I may have try the 22lr compact mag also just to see if it works for me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else????
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
HK_dude,
    Is there any way I can get one from your dealer? I just started looking around for them and the best price so far is like $30! I would like to try one out to see how they work - - the 22mag/17hmr mags from them work great in my 17hmr varmint rifle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#4]
My dealer is my personel friend, and he gives me access to his distributer websites. I check whatever I want, then he orders them for me. I pay him shipping, etc....and always give him a little for his trouble.

I am sure he will not order them for others at this price.

Dealer is $16.75......I rounded down.

The other problem is that I don't know if I am commetted to ordering any yet, as I have never tried them...and I can't seem to find any feedback on the compact ones.

I looked for some at local sports places and so far all I can find is the 17 HMR mag and the 25rd .22 mag....I can't find the short 30 or 50rd mags. If I do, I will buy one and try them before stocking up.

If I do end up getting a few, maybe I can buy one extra and sell you one at a fair price......I just need to find a stack of money
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
That's the ramline design isn't it ?

Those have run for me in a mostly stock 10/22

Barry
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I think they did basically copy ramline....although looking at the 25rd mag at a local stoer, the feed lips and other top parts look more rugged and refined. Don't know if that means anything, but the mag overall has a cleaner look from the mold.

I plan to get a couple and will give a range report.

I tried to find one in town today, at 5 different sporting goods store to no avail......
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
RSR lists the 50 round but not the 30 Round

Of Course they are backordered

the Ramlines, TI, and Steel Lips are working for me just need to buy more :)

Barry
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
+1...I love the TI polymere mags and own 5 of them.......but I NEED more mags and I am too stubborn to pay the majorly inflated prices for them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
wow are those doublestack 22lr mags? first i heard of them. might have to give em a try.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Natchez seems to indicate that the Ramlines have been discontinued

Hopefully these Shooters Ridge are similar enough to be a replacement

I do like 30 round capacity and being double stack that don't stick down too much
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#11]
The Shooter's Ridge Mags, that I'm familiar with, are for my 17HMR Ruger and I really like them because of their shortness. They are built very clean and sharp and work great for me although some people don't like them. I have to remember that one person's really great magazine may be another person's mag from hell ––  Rugers and other semi-autos can be like that. I would love to get one of the Shooter's Ridge 22lr compact mags just to see if it will work for me also.

HK_DUDE, I'll keep looking on the net to see if anybody has a reasonable price for the mags and just order one but thanks for resell offer.

Edit to add: I gave up looking and I really want to try this mag so I went and ordered it from Cabela's –– I'm just a little too impatient!
This is what they look like with ammo added.

By the way, it looks like Shooter's Ridge also has a 50 round mag that's also a double stack so it's probably about the size of a normal 25 round single stack 10/22 mag.

The 30 rounder is more than I need but if it works I may try the 50 just for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The originally posted magazines remind me of the old magazines that originally came with the Intratec scorpion.  The scorpion was designed to accept 10/22 magazines, and the ones that they came with were double stack short 30 rounders.  I have no experience with these new mags, but the old ones seemed to last for a while.  I wore two of these out after many many rounds.  The spring wore out on one of them and the body split apart on the other.  I don't know if these are totally new designs, or if they incorporate any of the old design concepts, but for the price, I would give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 compact 30rd and 2 compact 50rd mags on the way.....plus I ordered one of their loaders as well...we shall see.

I assume I will have them early to middle of next week.

If it isn't 30 below zero here next week, I will try get out and do some testing. I will at least be able to try load them up...half the time that can be half the battle.

I'm excited.

Link Posted: 2/4/2009 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]
i have a few older 25rd ramlines that are similar in size. really like the compactness + capacity of them.
let us know how they run
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The originally posted magazines remind me of the old magazines that originally came with the Intratec scorpion.  The scorpion was designed to accept 10/22 magazines, and the ones that they came with were double stack short 30 rounders.  I have no experience with these new mags, but the old ones seemed to last for a while.  I wore two of these out after many many rounds.  The spring wore out on one of them and the body split apart on the other.  I don't know if these are totally new designs, or if they incorporate any of the old design concepts, but for the price, I would give it a try.

Darn! I forgot they also made a loader. If the magazine works good I will need to get more and maybe then I'll remember to get the loader. Let us know how the mags and the loader work. I don't think I need a 50 rounder but it would be nice to try it and those people that have that Ruger 10/22 pistol might get a kick out of them if they work.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I just got the 30 round double stack Shooter's Ridge mag and it works smooth as silk. I went ahead and ordered 2 more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Please give more detail, I am starving for info

I haven't gotten mine yet, but hopefuly today or tomorrow I will hear from my dealer.

Do they look like your earlier picture or my pic? Crystal clear with black follower or clear/matte with green lips and followers?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Please give more detail, I am starving for info

I haven't gotten mine yet, but hopefuly today or tomorrow I will hear from my dealer.

Do they look like your earlier picture or my pic? Crystal clear with black follower or clear/matte with green lips and followers?

Thanks

this is just what mine looks like.
The body is crystal clear with green feed lips and mechanism. The rounds actually load up easy by hand but what got me was how it fed –– so smooth that I thought that the bolt missed the round. I would imagine I need to get a loader of some sort because the platic lips (and all the other parts of the mag) are formed very smooth and sharp –– the "sharp" part may take a toll on the loading fingers in time. The mag seems to be built with some type of ramp inside to make sure the rounds all stack with the rims placed correctly so there are no jams. I sure hope that you have as much luck with the mags as I have. By the way –– I didn't get the 50 round version since I figured the 30 was nice and compact and fit my needs perfectly but I would imagine they are just as good.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the update and details.......damn it, I want my dealer to call and say "Your Shooter's Ridge stuff is in"...
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#20]
HK-DUDE,
   The mags will come in handy for me since I finally talked the wife into going to the range with me. She had a great time but hated having to reload the factory 10 round mags. These 30 round mags don't hang very far down under the rifle so they should not get in her way. We use to both go shooting in the old days and we loved it –– it's good to get back there again!
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 1:54:09 AM EDT
[#21]
HK-DUDE, did you get your mags yet? When you do get them could you show a comparison picture of the Shooter's Ridge 50 round mag next to something like a Butler Creek 25 rounder or some other 25 round single stack mag?
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven't gotten the mags yet. My dealer ordered them almost 2 weeks ago and they would typically be here by now. He says that he hasn't seen them or gotten any confirmation that they have been shipped. He is also not a very "pro-active" dealer and hasn't bothered calling yet or anything. I will definetly post info and pics as soon as I get them.

Did I mention that I checked the website again and the 30 nad 50 have both jumped about $4 each in price.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did I mention that I checked the website again and the 30 nad 50 have both jumped about $4 each in price.

If the mags work good for you I would suggest ordering more as quickly as you can, then post how well they work for you. I posted over on Rimfire Central how much I liked the 22mag/17HMR mags and the price just about doubled in a year. I paid $12 apiece for the first three and the next bunch went to around $20 and I think they are going for $24 now! I didn't have a lot of luck running 22 magnum ammo through them but the 17HMR ammo and the 22mag/17HMR magazine are a perfect match –– not a single problem with any type ammo.

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#24]
What gun are you running the 17 HMR mags in?
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What gun are you running the 17 HMR mags in?

A modified 22lr 10/22 that now handles 17HMR.
20" fluted GM barrel, Modified Ruger 22 magnum bolt to fit 22lr 10/22 receiver, Modified triger group to allow use of the longer 22 magnum type magazines

This is the receiver showing the EABCO heavy charging handle to restore the weight I had to remove to fit the magnum bolt in the shorter 22lr receiver.

I have well over 1000 17HMR rounds (I prefer the CCI TNT stuff) through the rifle with zero problems!

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#26]
That is very unique....didn't even know that could be done.

I had one of the EABco 17 HM2s setup on a 10/22...but Damn....that is neat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Available at Cabela's with free shipping: GO

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That is very unique....didn't even know that could be done.

I had one of the EABco 17 HM2s setup on a 10/22...but Damn....that is neat.

It works really super but I would not recommend anybody doing it without finding a used 22 magnum bolt. I got my bolt fairly cheap because the seller wanted to get a Volquartsen bolt which, like the Ruger 22 magnum bolt, are no longer made. If you look at my trigger group you might notice it's 3/8th of an inch further back than a standard 10/22 group –– the only tip-off that something is different. I built the setup because I decided too late that I really wanted a 10/22 magnum to shoot the 17HMR in –– Ruger stopped making the 10/22 magnums.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys.
Just got a 30 round and a 50 round mag this week.   Bought one of both to test out from Midsouthshooterssupply.com, fast shipping.
Took them to a local indoor range 2 days ago and both worked great in my 10/22. Running the Federal 550 bulk pack ammo.
No feeding problems so far with 3 full mags thru both. Love how compact they are.  The 30rd. is about half the length of my BC 25rd., and the 50 is around an inch longer. Nice
-Just noticed that the 50rd. is now 'on-order' there, and I can't seem to find the 30 anymore?? Hmmmm...guess I just snuck in there, though I did find them on sale at quite a few places just by running a yahoo search....Midsouth was the cheapest for both though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#30]
My latest update in the saga.....

Told my dealer to cancel the order, because he has bigger fish to fry right now.....and he is very hands off.

Anyway. I just got back from the local sporting goods store. They didn't have any 30rd mags, but they had the 25rd mag (which I am not interested in) and they had 1 of the 59rd mags. I bought it an an inflated price of $34.99, but if it doesn't work, I should be able to return it anyway.

I will try load/shoot/take pics this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Double post

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How'd you get free shipping? Is there a code for free shipping?

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 3:20:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know also –– I just bought 3 of the 30 round compact mags and shipping was not free! Do you have to join a Cabela's club or something?

EDIT to add –– I just went up on the home page and saw there was a "FREE SHIPPING" banner BUT it's for orders of $150 dollars or more –– might be good for some big spender!
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know also –– I just bought 3 of the 30 round compact mags and shipping was not free! Do you have to join a Cabela's club or something?

EDIT to add –– I just went up on the home page and saw there was a "FREE SHIPPING" banner BUT it's for orders of $150 dollars or more –– might be good for some big spender!

Yes, I'm sorry but I should have mentioned that in my post.  They've got some good deals on pants, so between that and the 3 mags $150 was easy to get to.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I will post more later, but I bought the 1 - 50rd yesterday.

I loaded it last night and it loaded very smooth and didn't dent the round when loading at all. The 1st to the last round loaded very nicely.

I had it out today. It is cold, so it got ran only one time.

It went 49 for 50, with the only trouble being one "stove pipe" at about round 30ish or so. This could have been the mag or the gun.....but, I did run a perfect 25/25 first with my trusty TI polymer mag.

You could hear the rouds advance in the mag a little slow now and then, but it did feed perfect.

I would like to try it a time or 2 more before buying more, but I was pleased with the initial outting.

I will post pics and dimensions for the 50 tonight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#36]
It's good to see you finally got to try one! The feeding on my compact 30's really impressed me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#37]
The 50rd mags is only a slight bit longer then my TI polymere 25rd mags. The curve is different as well.

Here's is close ups in the gun, with a tape to show approx how far they stick out.....nobody may really care, but was having fun with the camera

Full gun pics with both mags......

Going to get out again this week and load it and try it at least a couple more times....if it runs good again, I will pick up a couple more locally, even though the price is a bit high.....then maybe order a couple of the compact 30rd mags too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#38]
My wife had a bit of a problem with the compacts but I would say it was the rifle. I changed the rifle all around using a barrel with a tight benz chamber. It caused the bolt to kinda run short on the cycle causing some jams –– even the factory mags did't want to work. My wife was not at all happy with the different setup so I put everthing back the way it was when we got home from the range. I'll test fire it and then next week we can run it at the range again. I've got to remember to not screw with something that works just before we go shooting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Ran out this morning before work.

I ran 2 more full mags.

Remember the first try, it ran great except one failure to fully eject (stovepipe) but the rest were good....

Well, this was exactly the same.....it starts to feed a little slow, you can actually sorta feel the rounds advancing a little slow...and hear them. I started to hear this, then the stovepipe. Both of the first 2 mags did this at about round number 28ish....on the first 2 runs, the rest fired fine.

Third try......exact same feeling at about round 26 or so...then stove pipe at 28ish again.....but this time I had a few more stovepipes in the mag after that.

The mag appears a little dirty already. I may try clean it out, and maye some sort of spray lube, i remember sombody on here using teflon lube spray that dries on the inside walls of the mag. I may try this.

I will try some tricks on this mag before I buy more of the 50s........if I can get it to run better, I will buy more...if it keeps getting worse, it will become a target.

I am trying to think about what would be causeing this.....brain storm fellow AR15.commers.

All testing has been done with Wally world 550 federal bulk packs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#40]
My wife tried a bunch of different ammo but we have the 30 round compact mags. After I got the rifle back to the original configuration it ran the same as before but did not like anything but stingers and mini-mags. The bulk stuff that I had was Remington golden bullets and federal bulk ammo and both of them seemed to give problems at times but the mini-mags would rip off as fast as the trigger could be pulled. The barrel on the setup now is one of the Ruger factory 22" SS Wally-world special barrels with the sporter chamber so stingers will work without problems. My wife also tried some federal high velocity ammo that comes in the 100 round plastic box and it would give her some trouble. I did notice in one of the mags that my wife had loaded that the double stack was screwed up about half way down the mag but I honestly don't remember if she just zipped through it or not. I guess for now I'll just buy mini-mag and stinger ammo.

A BIT OFF TOPIC –– I had a problem for the first time with the 22mag/17HMR mags not feeding –– seems I bought some Winchester 17HMR ammo with the 20gr bullets and they just did not want to work in these mags –– they seem to be a hair longer than my favorite CCI 17HMR TNT ammo and would get stuck in the mag and won't pop up. They work fine out of the factory Ruger mag so there must be some small dimentional issues with compact 22mag/17HMR mags –– guess I'll just stick to the ammo with 17gr bullets for these mags.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I was thinking of trying different ammo, but that would defeet the purpose for me....as I want it to work with the best value ammo.....I don't say cheapest, but I think the federal bulk packs seem to be decent at a decent price.

I know it is the mag and not the gun, because my 25rd TI mags run perfect still.

I know you weren't saying it was the gun, etc......I just don't want to buy specific (and more expensive) ammo to make the mag work.

I always think some of these may work better with more use, but we will see. I may try a different ammo, just for curiosity sake.

For me....everything keeps pointing back to the $45-$50 TI mags...damn it
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The 50rd mags is only a slight bit longer then my TI polymere 25rd mags. The curve is different as well.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Nordic_project_2_004.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Nordic_project_2_007.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Nordic_project_2_005.jpg

Here's is close ups in the gun, with a tape to show approx how far they stick out.....nobody may really care, but was having fun with the camera

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Nordic_project_2_011.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Nordic_project_2_010.jpg

Full gun pics with both mags......

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Nordic_project_2_012.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Nordic_project_2_013.jpg

Going to get out again this week and load it and try it at least a couple more times....if it runs good again, I will pick up a couple more locally, even though the price is a bit high.....then maybe order a couple of the compact 30rd mags too.

WOW nice 10/22 set up there Dude.
i have a 77/22 did a quick (for ruger) change set up using a 77/22mag bbl, trigger guard and mags. i took my bolt and ran it under my cheapie Taig tabletop milling unit. works for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I hear what your saying about the bulk ammo. We did have problems with the bulk stuff so these mags may not be what you want. Since you know the TI mags work for you best to stay with them and that business about the slow response on the magazine feed doesn't sound right –– like the spring strip is running right at the hairy edge. Just for something to try –– get a box of the mini-mags and see if they do the same thing. The mini-mag bullets are a bit shorter and longer bullets may just not work well in these mags. I know you don't want to use the more expensive ammo but it may prove that the longer bullets don't like these mags.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#44]
I have about 5000 rounds of PMC Sidewinder .22 ammo. It has been good ammo with other mags, so i tried it this morning.

Stovepipe at round 13, then again later in the mag, then at one point the rounds were failing to feed as they were nose diving.

I haven't given up yet....but I am close

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#45]
We can add 2 more brands of ammo to the list:

Win Super X RN = bad

Remington bulk pack golden bullets = Holy $hit....I couldn't even get the mag loaded. I had about 14 rounds in and it locked up, could shake rounds out of it and there were rounds stuck....took me about 5 minutes to extract a couple stuck one.....it was great.

Mag is going back to the store tomorrow. The reason I bought this one at a retail outlet, was so I can return it....I hope they don't hassle me when I bring it back tomorrow.

I don't have any mini-mags, and don't know if I can stand the trauma of having another type of ammo cause such heart break.

I can't decide if I want to try the compact 30rd mags or not.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#46]
All I can say is I loaded up a partial box of my stingers (24 rounds) in one of the compact mags and went out and shoot all 24 rounds without issue. I don't like any of the long nosed bullets for these mags so the mini-mags are the other favorite of mine. Now my wife's 10/22 is a little different than the standard 10/22. The trigger group has all standard internals but is held in place by screws not the pins –– it makes it rock-solid. The rear of the bolt has been rounded in the lower rear edge that contacts the hammer for smoother cocking and I have a titanium charging handle for less mass and it's easier to grab. I honestly don't know if this makes the magazine work better but you know how some mags work for some people and not for others. I know I screwed up by changing the barrel out to something a little more exotic and the rifle wouldn't work worth a damn –– needless to say it has the original barrel back. I personally think taking that mag back for a refund is a good idea after you said that there was an issue with the follower not being able to bring the ammo up quick. I can't say the compact 30's will work better for you but I like them.

EDIT to add; What type of 22lr ammo is the PMC sidewinder? I think I got some a long time ago but don't remember seeing any for sale in a long time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#47]
The PMC Sidewinders are round nose lead bullet. They seem to have a little more velocity, and also seem to be pretty accurate. I bought 5-6000 rounds about 3 years agao. I don't see them anymore either.

They also have a citrus smell when you shoot them....no lie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top