Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2009 2:01:18 PM EDT
Is there somewhere you can send brass to have it annealed?

I have tried to do it myself but it just doesnt have that nice blue look.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
watch the vid might help you out,you can use a drill to turn the case to even out the heat.  Use a variable speed drill to get a nice even rotation on the case.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ammosmith#p/u/86/CbRdJqyFDGY
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
watch the vid might help you out,you can use a drill to turn the case to even out the heat.  Use a variable speed drill to get a nice even rotation on the case.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ammosmith#p/u/86/CbRdJqyFDGY

I anneal my cases after 4 firings. I do it about the same way, but I use a slow drill and a Hornady Annealing System it's faster then the Lee trimming case holder. That's IMHO.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link to the video. I think I was holding the brass to close to far into the flame.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Hornady annealing system is so easy I sometimes anneal after even 1 firing.  Once you get the color temp it's easy and quick.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hornady annealing system is so easy I sometimes anneal after even 1 firing.  Once you get the color temp it's easy and quick.

I have thought about ordering this kit and am wondering do you anneal before or after sizing
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Before sizing....hence the purpose of annealing !!!!!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have thought about ordering this kit and am wondering do you anneal before or after sizing

After sizing and trimming. Annealing does not change the length or the ID or OD of the neck of the case. The Hornady is the best annealing system for the standard reloader (1,000 to 5,000 reloads a year). If your doing 10,000 or more, get an automatic system. After annealing I fire the cases 3 more times. After I use a fired case 12 times put it in my recycle bucket. The cheapest way is to use the Lee trimming case holder, it's slower, but gets the job done. That's IMHO.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I stand .223 in 2" of water and torch each side for 3 seconds (until side just starts to turn red) with a Weller Portasol torch. Then knock case into water to cool before moving to next case.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Always anneal before sizin, that way, brass will all have the exact same headspace measurment.
That way all the cases are pretty much the same hardness, so will grip the bullet evenly, also will be closer in HS when sized the second and third time.
'Borg
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The Hornady is so quick once you get used to the temp of the brass.  Basically a dull red in a slightly darkened room for me.   I have a torch in a fixed postition and have a hand held drill with the proper attachment.  You get 3 sizes so you can do all kinds of cases.  Just drop brass in attachment, anneal and drop into a bucket or something.  Takes less than 10 secs for 5.56 from start to finish and I'm giving extra time to do it.  Advantages over the pan annealing method is you get a uniform heat over the neck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top