Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2014 7:17:28 PM EDT
All,

Be aware that there is a brand of brass out now that will cause stoppages in Super 1050's. I didn't have any issues with them in my XL650.
This brass has a thicker base and an odd case web. This causes issues with the 1050's swaging stage.

See the pics below.

Notice the ridge at the case web

Cut away view

Winchester case on the right.

Neck thickness

Web thickness

Another cross section

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like some kind of brass made just for 9mm major loads.

I wonder how much that thicker web boosts pressure if it's just in the mix with random headstamps with a given load?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Uh oh, just found a couple of those on the range, a very timely post.   Could they be reloaded on the RL 550?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've loaded them on the SDB.   The OP indicated the problem was with the swaging, so I doubt it would cause the same problem on the 550.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh oh, just found a couple of those on the range, a very timely post.   Could they be reloaded on the RL 550?

I've loaded them on the SDB.   The OP indicated the problem was with the swaging, so I doubt it would cause the same problem on the 550.

From what I hear, they are giving a lot of people problems when loading it. I believe its with the sizing stage. But I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 2:43:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like some kind of brass made just for 9mm major loads.

I wonder how much that thicker web boosts pressure if it's just in the mix with random headstamps with a given load?
View Quote

It is either 9mm "Major" loads or weaker brass and is thicker as not to fail in the web.

The additional pressure was another concern.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Funny, I ran across about a dozen of these last night and set them aside to ask about in here. Between the name (Ammoload? Really?) and the funky internal self/web it just seemed strange.

For what it's worth, they DID size on my LNL AP, but felt strange enough that I pulled them out. I could definitly tell them apart from standard brass.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I would think that it would be the perfect brass for these guns that have a partially unsupported chamber.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I want a lot more details about its origin and intended purpose before I say it is a premium brass for hot loadings.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been hitting a lot of this brass. Goes to the scrap bin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top