Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2010 10:40:44 AM EDT
Out of curiousity, since match ammo is pretty pricey can I run a few hundered rounds of 147 PMC rounds or something similar through my gun as a break in instead of using match stuff or is it a waste all together?
I also reload but don't have much brass yet. I'm thinking I'll be better off buying 500 rounds of LC brass and 175 SMK's.
Is there a downside for shooting the stuff mentioned at the top?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:50:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Slaytex:
Out of curiousity, since match ammo is pretty pricey can I run a few hundered rounds of 147 PMC rounds or something similar through my gun as a break in instead of using match stuff or is it a waste all together?
I also reload but don't have much brass yet. I'm thinking I'll be better off buying 500 rounds of LC brass and 175 SMK's.
Is there a downside for shooting the stuff mentioned at the top?

My '05 10FP LE2b took 700 rounds to start shooting ~.75 MOA, down from 1.25 MOA, believe it or not.  

I'd shoot what you can afford, but I went with the good stuff after the first 20 rds of Tubbs Final Finish bullets.   I reload and it was easier to swallow.

Life's too short to be shooting shitty ammo.

I'd use some PMC or Rem or whatever for the shoot/clean cycle, if you choose to go that route and then start banging away with the pimpy shit.

Chris

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:56:04 AM EDT
Know of any cheap stuff that has brass that's worth reloading afterwards?
I have 100 rounds of 175 FGMM and only shot 40 so far. People keep saying that Federal brass isn't the best for reloading...
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:09:53 PM EDT
My friend and I have Remington, Winchester, Hornady match brass that has over 8-10 reloads on it without any issues and we load 168gr SMK at 2825fps.

My current set of brass has about 5 reloads on it with the same reciepe and has had no issues.. I am using hornady match.  

Mike.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:17:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Slaytex:
Know of any cheap stuff that has brass that's worth reloading afterwards?
I have 100 rounds of 175 FGMM and only shot 40 so far. People keep saying that Federal brass isn't the best for reloading...
Thanks.

I've got a bunch of FGMM 308 and I've been running a batch of 25 that are on their 5th cycle with no loose primer pockets.  I wouldn't pay big bucks for it now ($30/100 1x) but if I could get some cheap, I'd load it up.

Some people feel that the reason that FGMM is so consistent across a broad range of rifles is due to the 'softness' of the brass, allowing for a more uniform release of the bullet.

If you have it and can get 3-5 cycles out of it, you're ahead of the curve, in my mind's eye.

Hell, I'm still cycling some LC 762 brass that I bought as 1x from Midway in 1995!  I'll shoot anything until it's scrap.

Chris

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:31:38 PM EDT
For me and my Savage I shot the first 200 of various match which consisted mostly of FGMM and BHM, and about the time I hit 600 down the tube I started to reload and used good match bullets, it does make a difference in groups
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:43:01 PM EDT
Top Top