Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/15/2009 3:35:48 PM EST
I am the happy new owner to a H&R Garand from CMP, and being new to the M1 I am trying to figure out fact from fiction. My question is, is commercial 30-06 ammo a no-no for shooting, and I can only shoot surplus M2 ball ammo? if so is there a good source other then CMP for ammo, I would hate to wait another couple months to shoot .......... I am kicking myself for not ordering ammo back in June with the rifle.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:16:30 PM EST
Two things you can do:

1) order lots and lots of greek HXP from the CMP and wait

or

2) get an adjustable gas plug and read the instructions very carefully.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:28:49 PM EST
looks like it's going to be a long couple of months ............ argh, any other suggestions on places to get surplus m2 ball ammo that isn't 3-6 months out......
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:46:43 PM EST
If you reload all is not lost.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:50:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By hh47:
Two things you can do:

1) order lots and lots of greek HXP from the CMP and wait

or

2) get an adjustable gas plug and read the instructions very carefully.

++1
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:09:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By LoC:
looks like it's going to be a long couple of months ............ argh, any other suggestions on places to get surplus m2 ball ammo that isn't 3-6 months out......

FYI, I just picked up 2 cans of HXP from fedex today. I placed the order on 6/12/2009.

They shipped on 9/11
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:03:59 PM EST
go on gunbroker.com.... you will pay a little more...... SOme gun shops may have 30-06 miliatry surplus around..

also look at some online places they sell new ammo for the garand.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:26:58 PM EST
Do it right

buy a can of IMR4895 powder and some 150gr bullets.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:50:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By HDBob:
go on gunbroker.com.... you will pay a little more...... SOme gun shops may have 30-06 miliatry surplus around..

also look at some online places they sell new ammo for the garand.

Just FYI, gunbroker is usually just under double what you will pay from CMP. I think 192 cans are going for about 120 on average on there right now as apposed to 75 from CMP.

But try searching under:

m1 ammo
30 06 ammunition
garand ammo

(I think you get the idea) and you might stumble across some moderately priced ammo :D
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:33:38 AM EST
M2 Ball does show up on the EE periodically.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:51:47 AM EST
yeah I am just going to do it right and wait. I have wanted a Garand since I was a kid, so another couple of months isn't going to kill me. or will it....
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:26:37 AM EST
In the interim you can just get the Schuster adjustable gas plug:

Schuster

It's so simple to use and not all that expensive. This way you can buy the cheapest commercial 30-06 ammo you can find and shoot away.

As an alternative you can buy some Hornady Garand grade ammo. I think Federal also makes a Garand grade load. But you pay for these.

As some have mentioned hand loading is pretty much the only other alternative.

There are those out there who have shot away with commercial ammo anyway and not reported any issues. Some say just shoot lighter loads...below 150 grains, and you might be ok. I don't think I'd risk it however. A bent op rod is something I do not wish to have to replace.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:51:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By BamaInArk:
In the interim you can just get the Schuster adjustable gas plug:

Schuster

It's so simple to use and not all that expensive. This way you can buy the cheapest commercial 30-06 ammo you can find and shoot away.

As an alternative you can buy some Hornady Garand grade ammo. I think Federal also makes a Garand grade load. But you pay for these.

As some have mentioned hand loading is pretty much the only other alternative.

There are those out there who have shot away with commercial ammo anyway and not reported any issues. Some say just shoot lighter loads...below 150 grains, and you might be ok. I don't think I'd risk it however. A bent op rod is something I do not wish to have to replace.

thanks for all the good info guys, I just placed a nice bulk order with CMP, and in the mean time I am going to look into the gas plug adjuster, cus 4 months is just to dam long. I guess this might be the straw that breaks the ammo re-loading camel's back.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:48:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 12:51:16 PM EST by Derek45]
Save your frogskins and get a DILLON 550B.

Start looking for brass now.

Have enough ammo to enjoy this EXCELLENT Rifle
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:26:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 1:32:37 PM EST by ma96782]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

When he gets his ammo from CMP.........he'll have lots of brass to reload. The HXP brass is good stuff.

Aloha, Mark

PS............I don't recommend a Dillon as a first press.

A single station press is what I recommend. It's easier to learn on. And, even if one was to buy a Dillon at a later date...........the single station can/will always have a use, throughout one's reloading career doing small jobs.

Then.......who knows?

Even though I own a Dillon.......I prefer the single stage to load match ammo. It has to do with the way that I like to do things.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:35:13 PM EST
LoC,

IF you have a friend with some extra HXP..........make a deal to "borrow a can."

Then later, you can return a can...........when you get your order fulfilled.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:10:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By ma96782:
LoC,

IF you have a friend with some extra HXP..........make a deal to "borrow a can."

Then later, you can return a can...........when you get your order fulfilled.

Aloha, Mark

good idea, time to start asking around! now off to research presses, so see what my next venture is going to set me back, lol it never ends.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:02:46 PM EST

When he gets his ammo from CMP.........he'll have lots of brass to reload. The HXP brass is good stuff.

Aloha, Mark

A single station press is what I recommend. It's easier to learn on. And, even if one was to buy a Dillon at a later date...........the single station can/will always have a use, throughout one's reloading career doing small jobs.

Then.......who knows?

Even though I own a Dillon.......I prefer the single stage to load match ammo. It has to do with the way that I like to do things.

Got good recommendations for him (me) on a single stage? Rockchucker?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:42:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 7:50:49 PM EST by ma96782]
Beginners Reloading path.........

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=263380

Aloha, Mark

PS..........I have a RCBS Rockchucker. Only because I traded my RCBS Jr. for it.

BTW.....look into buying USED if $ is tight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:26:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By coconut1:

Aloha, Mark

Then.......who knows?

Got good recommendations for him (me) on a single stage? Rockchucker?

forster bonanza Co-Ax,

best one out there,,

Top Top