Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 10:11:52 AM EDT
I just recently picked up my GSG1911 and my SilencerCo Sparrow.  I haven't gotten out and done much shooting with it yet, but I was wondering what .22lr will stay subsonic out of the GSG1911?  I have some:

Federal bulk pack

Winchester bulk pack

Aguila SSS

Remington subsonic

CCI Minimag

Should I be good to go?

ETA: Will also be used on a Savage MkII bolt action .22

Gratuitous pic:

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot a lot of Federal Bulk out of my Ruger 22/45 with the same length barrel.  It stays subsonic.  I would just suggest loading up a little bit of each type of ammo and giving them all a try.  See which one you like the best and stick with that.  Just remember that atmospheric conditions can change the speed needed to go supersonic.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I just did this same testing this week with my Sparrow with a Ruger 22/45 & 10/22 as hosts.  The Fed Bulk is cheap and was great in the pistol for fun plinking.  In the rifle it was a bit louder than the subsonic Rem/CCI/Aguila but it's a longer barrel.    I also tested RWS's subsonic and while pricey was the best to my "highly" trained ear in both hosts.  They were also the most accurate and being HP they are perfect for nighttime varmint disposal.  The SSS seemed to stabilize and grouped well @ 25 yards.  I did see a pretty substantial shift in POI - is this what everyone else is seeing?

I would just play around to see what you like best and then buy in bulk.  It's fun to waste ammo and only be out $5.    

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
CCI Standard Velocity
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
My sub-sonic of the month is CCI #0056.

40gr,1050fps, HP that actually works on small game.

The Lapua was the best overall sub I have ever used, but $8 for a box of 50 pretty much sucks.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tips guys!  Appreciate it.  I have a good subsonic load in 9mm, but this is my first .22lr can.

HardShell - No!  I should have bought one of those though!  I got a hell of a deal on the MkII on Black Friday at Cabela's.  Couldn't pass it up.  Bought it to thread and slap the Sparrow on.  It's a disease I tell ya.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Aguila subsonic is the quietest for me, but I like clean CCI standard as of late cuz I found a source of a 500 brick for just $24
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I stick with Remington Subsonic.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I shoot all of my rimfire handgun suppressor hosts (Ruger, Browning, Walther, SIG, Glock/AA conversions) with Fed bulk pack.

I broke all of them in in the manner and with the ammo suggested by the manufacturer but, after that, switched to the Fed bulk HPs and haven't had any issues.

Quoted:

ETA: Will also be used on a Savage MkII bolt action .22

Did you pick up one of the recent factory-threaded ones?  If so, I did too and really like it.

I did.  How's it working for you?

I'm waiting on my stamp for a Spectre and bought that FV-SR to host it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Aguila subsonic is the quietest for me, but I like clean CCI standard as of late cuz I found a source of a 500 brick for just $24

Where at?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't recon you want to share your source?
Where at?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll let ya know soon after I get another brick or two.  I dont want the whole inventory to disappear.  All I'll say now is that its a Sporting Goods store. My price I listed was wrong. I actually get a brick of CCI standard for $20 a piece with their $10 off a $50 purchase coupon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
40gr Dynapoints work pretty well, and are slightly quieter than Fed Bulk pack...   my only trouble is finding them.

I have a bunch of Winchester Subsonic but they are plain lead  (same as Remington).     I think the Winchesters are a little cleaner, but I don't really have any hard data or testing to say that.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'll let ya know soon after I get another brick or two.  I dont want the whole inventory to disappear.  All I'll say now is that its a Sporting Goods store. My price I listed was wrong. I actually get a brick of CCI standard for $20 a piece with their $10 off a $50 purchase coupon.

Dick's Sporting Goods

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]
gooch, I hope you feel important now.  Yep, Dicks.  Here in Oregon we dont have sales tax so a brick goes for $24.99 x 2  subtract $10off=   $40.00 for 1,000 rounds of CCI Standard.  I think most other places like Midway and Cabelas are about $40 a brick.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
gooch, I hope you feel important now.  Yep, Dicks.  Here in Oregon we dont have sales tax so a brick goes for $24.99 x 2  subtract $10off=   $40.00 for 1,000 rounds of CCI Standard.  I think most other places like Midway and Cabelas are about $40 a brick.

I just booked my plane ticket from Atlanta to Oregon just so I can visit your local Dicks any buy them out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]
CCI Standard for Anything with a Barrel longer than 4.5.

CCI Minimags for my 4.5 Paclites.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My sub-sonic of the month is CCI #0056.

40gr,1050fps, HP that actually works on small game.

The Lapua was the best overall sub I have ever used, but $8 for a box of 50 pretty much sucks.....

I do like that ammo. I use it quite a bit. Unfortunately it's like 7 cents/rd at best these days. If I'm shooting critters, I usually eject the CCI SV and switch to a mag of CCI SS HP.

Only downside is the bullet has a long driving band that digs into the rifling when chambering on some firearms. As a result, they can sometimes be a tad difficult to chamber in my CZ452s. I don't have any issue with them chambering in my Kadets, but I have noticed I frequently can't manually eject a live round. If I chamber one of those in the Kadet and never get a shot at a critter, I frequently just drop the mag and shoot it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top