Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 12:27:07 PM EDT
I would like to ammend my Form 1for my 9mm AR SBR to 5.0 inchs, how exactly do I do this it there a template out there for what I send to NFA to get it changed? What do I get back to show that they have ammended the Registry?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no official template or form because there's no requirement to do so.  You are free to change your barrel length to 5" if you want with no further ATF correspondence.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
This would be a perminate change though. With extra non NFA  lowers around an extra upper is not an option. My understanding was that you could move barrels as long as it can readily be returned to the status stated on the Form 1. Like I said the 5 inch would be the full time length.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The BATFE requests notification of changes.  It's not required.  I wouldn't notify the BATFE personally, unless I was going to sell the upper that you have listed on the Form 1.

You can have multiple short uppers for 1 SBR lower.  As long as all your uppers have a legal place to go, using all your lowers, you're good.  They don't all have to be attached at the same time.

IE: you have 1 SBR lower.  You have multiple short uppers.  Each of those uppers can legally be attached to your SBR lower.  Thus, they all can be used legally.

You may get into a grey area if you have non-sbr lowers and not enough >16" uppers to put on all your non-nfa lowers.

IE. You have 1 SBR lower and 4 Title I lowers.  You only have 3 >16" uppes and 2 <16" lowers.  You are in a grey area here.  Yes, both <16" uppers can be used legally on your SBR lower but you now have an extra Title I lower and an extra <16" upper.  If someone got a hard on about it, they could come to the conclusion that, that extra <16" is for that title I lower.

Make sense?

ETA:  To answer you question.  If you wish to notify the BATFE anyway, all you need to do is write a simple letter saying you are the registered owner of x item xxxx serno.  You will be changing the length of the barrel to xx.x inches.  

IIRC if you send two copies and you request so, they will stamp "received" and mail one back to you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The BATFE requests notification of changes.  It's not required.  I wouldn't notify the BATFE personally, unless I was going to sell the upper that you have listed on the Form 1.

You can have multiple short uppers for 1 SBR lower.  As long as all your uppers have a legal place to go, using all your lowers, you're good.  They don't all have to be attached at the same time.

IE: you have 1 SBR lower.  You have multiple short uppers.  Each of those uppers can legally be attached to your SBR lower.  Thus, they all can be used legally.

You may get into a grey area if you have non-sbr lowers and not enough >16" uppers to put on all your non-nfa lowers.

IE. You have 1 SBR lower and 4 Title I lowers.  You only have 3 >16" uppes and 2 <16" lowers.  You are in a grey area here.  Yes, both <16" uppers can be used legally on your SBR lower but you now have an extra Title I lower and an extra <16" upper.  If someone got a hard on about it, they could come to the conclusion that, that extra <16" is for that title I lower.

Make sense?

ETA:  To answer you question.  If you wish to notify the BATFE anyway, all you need to do is write a simple letter saying you are the registered owner of x item xxxx serno.  You will be changing the length of the barrel to xx.x inches.  

IIRC if you send two copies and you request so, they will stamp "received" and mail one back to you.

1st. I thought I made it clear I understand the stuff in red when I stated that having multi uppers is not a option. but maybe it will info some one who wasn't aware of it.

2nd. thank you, that is what I had intended to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top