Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:10:49 PM EDT
I asked the same question on HKPRO and havent really gotten any answers...You all arent such "no clone elitists" so maybe you can help me out. I have an aluminum recievered Springfield SAR-8 and have never had any problems with it. Why are they getting such a bad rap on the internet? What are these worth these days?
Thanks,
BJohnson
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:20:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BJohnson383:
I have an aluminum recievered Springfield SAR-8 and have never had any problems with it.

That's cool. If it works and you're happy, then hey, that's what really counts.

Why are they getting such a bad rap on the internet?

Well for one, I think people (myself included) are skeptical of anything that uses an aluminum (cast aluminun no less) main part when said part was originally designed to be made out of steel.
Now if they had been machined from a billet, or forged, they might not get such a bad rap.

Secondly, the trunion is held by two steel pins and then "glued" into the receiver, not very comforting IMO.

And third, should the need arise, nobody wants to work on them.

What are these worth these days?

I see them on the boards for $700-$1000. YMMV

HTH
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:59:28 AM EDT
Most people veiw the aluminum SAR-8's as a parts kit.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:22:00 AM EDT
I have two, low serial numbered units (before the assembly gorillas went to work for CIA) on an aluminum reciever, and have had zero problems with either.

They work well and have the integral rail. What more could you ask for from a clone with no allusions of being a "real" H&K?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:24:01 AM EDT

Well for one, I think people (myself included) are skeptical of anything that uses an aluminum (cast aluminun no less) main part when said part was originally designed to be made out of steel.

The bolt locks into a steel trunnion in a manner similar to the AR15. Aluminum is more than able to keep up with job, as the receiver is simply a raceway for the bolt carrier.

Secondly, the trunion is held by two steel pins and then "glued" into the receiver, not very comforting IMO.

Now that worries me!

My personal opinon of these aluminum receivered guns is that they are extremely overpriced. In some case, for $200 extra, you could have a Greek made clone, which is just as good as the real deal HK, except for finish.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:29:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Southern_Raider:
My personal opinon of these aluminum receivered guns is that they are extremely overpriced. In some case, for $200 extra, you could have a Greek made clone, which is just as good as the real deal HK, except for finish.

I've seen some real good finish on Springfield Armory SAR8 HK91 clones. The fit & finish on the SAR8 is every bit as good as that of a real HK.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:46:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:
I've seen some real good finish on Springfield Armory SAR8 HK91 clones. The fit & finish on the SAR8 is every bit as good as that of a real HK.

Then you have some really nice ones as the ones I've owned were quite easy to distinguish from a real HK in terms of finish. Fit was never an issue.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:28:51 PM EDT
My alum SAR-8 would out shoot my "real" HK G-3. Groups were slightly tighter at 100-200 yards. The SAR 8 would also seem a bit more contolable due to the break. G-3 was a work gun and had a lot more rounds dumped through it before I got it. Some people just don't like(alum SAR-8) them they look kinda odd. The alum worries me in case of a massive failure such as out of battery firing or defective ammo. I think I would prefer to have sheet steel in the way instead of the alum. Both are going to be a mess in any gun.

I think the "glue" issue is overated as many guns including rifles are made with all kinds of plastic. It also seems this glue isn't really holding anything together it just aids in supporting the pinning however I did save a bunch of money on my car insurance by swiching to GEICO.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:59:02 AM EDT
If it shoots the way you like it. Good on ya.

To me its a parts kit.

Kind of like Peavy and fatchicks. They are fun to play but you would not want your friends to see you with one.

JR
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:20:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By racecar:
Kind of like Peavy and fatchicks. They are fun to play but you would not want your friends to see you with one.

Top Top