Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2002 1:31:13 PM EDT
So, I'm going from pawn shop to pawn shop looking for the bikes I had stolen from me last night (info in other thread on GD forum) when I spot a preban AR with a 20" A2 HBAR for sale... $999.  I ask to look at it, and other than a few scuff marks, the weapon was flawless.  I break it down, and the bolt looked like it was almost new.

I looked at the brand, and it was an American Spirit Arms.  I had heard of them, but didn't know much.  So, I decided to go home and check out the ol' AR15.com and see what info I could find on the company before I put the rifle on layaway.  Thank the Lord God above I did!

For those that don't know, ASA NEVER produced any preban weapons, as the company apparantly didn't exist until 1998.

So, word to the wise...when gunshopping, bring along an AR serial list so you'll know what you're looking at.  I usually have one on my Palm, but since I wasn't going to look at guns, I didn't think about bringing it along.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Kudos for having the smarts to check it out!  The Palm idea is great.  Did you make your own list or is it available to download on the Palm from someone?
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I found the software online someplace.  I'll see if I can find a link for you.

It was free, btw.

Here it is: www.brianlane.com/SN15.php
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Too much AR15.com will give you hairy palms.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I saw a "pre-ban" on a ASA lower today at a gunshow. I told them about it and everyone turned and looked at me as if to keep my mouth shut, second one I know of from that show.
-Chuck
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you discovered that crucial bit of information on that rifle, you should print it out, take it to the pawn shop, and give it to them.  I'm quite sure that any reasonable pawn shop owner would be happy to avoid potentially big trouble for selling a rifle that turns out to be in an illegal configuration.   At the very least, they should thank you, and if you're really lucky, they may make you a GREAT deal on a complete pre-ban upper and a complete post-ban lower at the same time.   If you have a pre-ban lower, this presents no difficulties.

CJ

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."
"Does that apply to stupid cops, too?"

Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Uh oh. The Gun Show police are here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Ya, you've got to be carefull. I've been sold an illegally configured rifle (before I knew what I know now), and have seen plenty for sale at gun shows.

Personally, I could care less if someone wants to put a preban upper or coll. stock on a postban lower. I don't approve of the law, and if someone wants to take that chance it's their business.

But what gets me is people selling these guns to unsuspecting customers, thereby putting them in legal jeopardy. Not to mention selling them a product for a much higher price than it's worth.

Anyway, glad you didn't just jump on it and were smart enough to go home and check it out first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top