Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2003 6:13:37 PM EDT
US cav has a nice looking "enhanced alice" pack on their website, but it is different from the other large alice packs I've seen.   The description is kinda vague on USCAV site.  Will a normal ALICE frame work with this pack, as with the extra thick shoulder straps and nicer kidney pads?  The pack is going to be used for hiking/backpacking a few times a year if that matters.   Thanks for any info you can guys can give me.  

www.uscav.com/shop/uscitemdetail.asp?stk_code=WB19717=

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
A normal frame should work, but I notice that it's made by Blackhawk.  That means that it's made in a 3rd world country, probably VietNam, and doesn't use real Cordura.  If you're going to spend a couple hundred on a pack, make sure you're going to get your money's worth.

Take a look at offerings from other manufacturers such as Tactical Tailors MALICE pack.  www.tacticaltailor.com/catalog/detail/malice.htm

www.lightfigher.com sells several good packs.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to agree with Hop on the Blackhawk comment. I have some of the "1st gen Blackhawk" stuff that was made here. Top notch, well made.

I also have some of the current gen, overseas made stuff and it cannot hold a candle to the US made stuff...I gave it to my kid to play Army in...

You can get a ALICE pack, there is one for sale in the Gear forum, and get the better, padded straps and belt from Ranger Joes or whoever and have a better ALICE pack than the original....at a fraction of the cost...
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You could probably find that pack 10$ cheaper,but even at that price I would go for the higher quality pack or just a decent issue pack.

Bigger pack =  heavier loads

I have a BHI patrol pack and that is holding up,but I can see that if I was capapble of loading it heavier how(fabric and seams) could fail.I have 'destroyed'a BHI LBV.I have a bunch of BHI black gear,that seldom gets used,and would be afraid to take to the field.

Your about/almost halfway ($200) monetarily, to a 'top of the line' pack,a LIFETIME investment,if that's the way you look at it(gear),so I would save up,and leave the mediocre gear for someone else.
If finances are a concern get a GI large.Save and by the time you wear it out you will be able to afford the best.

BulletcatchR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top