Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 12:42:36 PM EDT
I have a couple of M1As and have always used the very excellent iron sights.  I recently came across an extra Aimpoint ML 4 MOA.  I was thinking about trying it on the Standard M1A.

Anybody have any experience using an Aimpoint on a M1A?  Doesn't the military sometimes put an Aimpoint on a M-14?

Any comments (except "you are a dumbass") or advice would be welcomed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Its actually a very good setup.

The ARMS 18 mount with a 22M68 throw lever base is an excellent way to mount it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
ARMS #18 puts it way too close to the eye.  The Springfield (Inc) "Scout Squad" rail out over the handguards works pretty good, but blocked my iron sights.  I used mine this way for a few weeks, but abandoned it as not as effective as I thought it should be and the fact it has two different zeros due to the difference in sightr and dot heights.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
abandoned it as not as effective as I thought it should be and the fact it has two different zeros due to the difference in sightr and dot heights.

Wouldnt ANY scope on ANY rifle have a different zero that the irons?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried using a cheap BSA red dot site I bought at Wally World on my M1A.  I have the Springfield scope mount for my Mational Match and I thought it worked out pretty well, and I could still use the iron sites.  I wouldn't reccomend this setup however, as a red dot site like that is really a waste of the accuracy potential of a Match M1A.  But on a standard model or bush rifle, a red dot would make a good setup.  And yes, the military has been putting ACOGs on the M-14's they are using.  And no, you aren't a dumbass for thinking about this.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#5]
You're a dumbass. Just kidding. A bud of mine has a standard with an Aimpoint setup. Works great for the CQB role. We were practicing by hitting catup packs at 25 meters. Actually, the 7.62 rounds kicked up so much dust that we assumed that we hit our targets.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:14:17 AM EDT
[#6]
On a rifle with the sights so close to the bore any optical sight will have a different zero than the iron sights.  The system we're all used to, the M16, can have one zero using the right optics.

Since the M68 CCO is essential a short range sight I'd prefer it have the same zero as the iron sights.  In practice, though, it won't be different enough to matter -- maybe not for ketchup at 25 meters, but will be fine for larger, more aggressive targets.

-- Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top