Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 2:35:17 AM EDT
Just a quick post this morning to say that I recently (2/13) purchased an Aimpoint Comp ML2, ARMS #22M68 mount and spacer and an ARMS #39A2 gooseneck mount from Donnie at www.sableco.net. Total cost was $510.50 for a package deal.

All above was installed on a Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty AK Rifle (w/ 14.5” barrel + 1.5” AK brake) and has old A-1 site and permanent carry handle. ARMS #39A2 was mounted to handle, and AIMPOINT was mounted via ARMS #22M68 (no-spacer used) mounted over front handguard just far enough back from front sight tower for flip-up lense cover to clear.

On Saturday (23rd) using S&B SS109 (62grain steel pen.) I fired first rounds at 30 meters and while having viewed the red-dot resting apparently right where it was supposed to be (atop front sight) was pleasantly surprised to find it dead on target (3 rnds in .5"). Making no adjustments range was increased to 100 yards and I managed to place 10 rounds inside of 1.5” (probably could have done better had the 4 min dot not covered my POA). At 200yards my 10 rounds stayed inside of 3.25” and were dead on POA. At 300yards all 10 rounds fell inside of 5” and were 1-1.5” low again I was very pleased to find the Aimpoint again right on the money just as if someone had designed it that way.

At 400yards w/ a POA best I could see at the top of a 5” yellow painted circle on the steel painted white all 10 rounds again measured just a hair over 5”. All rounds fell at 6 o’clock and though probably luck ‘cause I ain’t got the best eyes 6 rounds ended up inside of 3”.

At the same time (at each range) I fired 3 rounds of Winchester 64grn. Power-Point-Plus and 3 rounds of my handloaded Winchester 64grn. Power-Points and while they generally ran .5" - 1” higher than the S&B, groups were marginally better than they were.

For CQB this set-up was very impressive and this post is for the benefit of many of you I know which are partial to the M4 style barrels and owners of the Bush-shorty. As a final note on Sat. eve. much to the amazement of my Dad who was trying his best to hand me his custom Krieger barreled 223 REM 700 I dropped a water-turkey at 340 yards walking along the edge of the pond. POA was just below neck and the Win 64grn PP+ made him disappear into a pile of feathers.

Nice to find the right equipment at a good price and not have to even touch it to have it on target, thanks Donnie.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the post.  You just verified what I have determined to be the only setup that will work for me to  mount my Comp ML on My Bushmaster M4, and that is the ARMS 22M68(no spacer) and the ARMS #39.  I have tried about every other combination of mounts starting with the Aimpoint rail grabber and carry handle mount to no avail.(all other mounts had the tube much too high to co-witness the irons).  I wish I had read your post a month ago, lol  I could have saved a lot of aggravation but at least now I know I've got the right setup on its way finally. thanks again for the info.

TIM
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have also purchased a comp m2. I am using it on a mr flatop receiver with ggg scout rail and rings. My flip up rear sight is on back order, hopefully it will arrive in the next few weeks. I will be sighting both in soon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#3]
M W

Are you still able to use the iron sights with that setup?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
M W

Are you still able to use the iron sights with that setup?

Yes sir. If you look thru the rear site the Aimpoint dot sets right on top of the front post (which if using the irons is desired, just switch the Aimpoint off). The real neat part of the ML2 is for CQB w/ both eyes open your generally looking over the rear peep, but wherever the red dots is that's your POI.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top