Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2002 5:34:08 PM EDT
These things are outstanding !!!  I just bought one of these miracle cleaning devices and had a question for the collective braintrust. So whats the drill, are these intended to be used dry or with solvent ??  If with solvent, how often do they need cleaning ?? I would think its bad to keep dragging a dirty snake through over and over.  Any tips or tricks you all may have would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Another one sees the light...  These are the sweetest things going...

I normally used to keep one of my snakes soaked with CLP, the other with bore solvent.  I've found that CLP is usually all that's needed when you use a snake.  Now I rotate between the 2 and wash one after every use.  It's really not necessary to wash it every time, they don't get too nasty even after a long range sesson... Put it in an old sock tied off and toss it in the washing machine now and again when it gets a bit dirty.

edited for link:

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/equipment.msnw?action=view_list&row=4&viewtype=2&sortstring=
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Another convert!  It makes cleaning from the breech to the barrel easy on any weapon that does not disassemble as easily as the AR15. The one for .30 Cal is great for cleaning my M1A1 and SLR95.  This makes cleaning my guns at the range a snap rather than waiting to get home.  You know what happens then:  Wife:  "When are you going to put your toys away?  Me:  "I'm too tired, I'll clean them and put them away tommorow."
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmm, are these things ok for match barrels?  I tend to get lazy when I'm cleaning my 40XC, so I need the no nonsense answer of whether I should use one and feel safe that it won't hurt the barrel.  

What do you think?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
They should be ok for match barrels as most damage to the crown and rifling are done by cleaning rods.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Spectre,
shure glad to read what i did..., i was expecting to see a photo of a cleaning rod run thru a hand.....!!!!!!!!

which i saw once wyth a in stock jointed  military style cleaning rod..., went right thru the web of the guys left hand, we just unscrewed it pulled it out & kept on shootin..., the next day he went to ER, his hand swelled twice its normal size........
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't like to use brushes in any of my barrels, so, I take them out of the "Snake".

They still work just as good and are a god-send to someone with arthritic hands.

I usually have two, one for cleaning (gets washed after every use) and one that is lightly oiled. One pass and the bore is ready for storage.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered 3 of the suckers yesterday from Midway for my ar-15, ak, and 12 gauge.  Price seemed right at around $12 each.

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes,the snake is great.
I too spray CLP on it,above the bristles.
When it's dirty,I've been handwashing it.
But I'm gonna try the sock trick.
Thanks for the idea,But if she finds out the the socks are missing for this purpose,I'm as good as dead

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I must have 8 or 9 of them for everything I shoot including a 12 Ga. 870 . The shotgun is the best as large bores are hard to clean with a "rod" type system. Gotta love boresnakes. I've used them for 4 years now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
These things are outstanding !!!  I just bought one of these miracle cleaning devices and had a question for the collective braintrust. So whats the drill, are these intended to be used dry or with solvent ??  If with solvent, how often do they need cleaning ?? I would think its bad to keep dragging a dirty snake through over and over.  Any tips or tricks you all may have would be appreciated.

It's funy how things change so much in a couple of years. I remember a post around two years ago about Bore Snakes and the general consensus was that they weren't any good. It's good to see that people are willing to try a product that helps us maintain our firearms and makes the job a little less tedious.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought one for each of my calibers, that darn snake is one effective cleaning tool.  bitten buy the snake, me too. Bitten hard.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...But if she finds out the the socks are missing for this purpose,I'm as good as dead

But at least the she will do it with a clean one!

Quoted:
It's funny how things change so much in a couple of years. I remember a post around two years ago about Bore Snakes and the general consensus was that they weren't any good.

Kinda glad I tried it anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top