Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2007 4:09:06 AM EDT
I am one of those drivers that goes the speed limit. I am just not in any rush. Well... I was on a six lane highway doing the speed limit when some guys in a van pull within ten feet of my bumper. I consider this tailgating at 55 mph. There were two lanes he could easily pass me on so I tapped my brakes so he would go ahead and pass me. Well he went ballistic and started shaking his fist and moving even closer to my bumper. I did not understand it . He could have easily moved to another lane and passed. This really got me thinking about having a car gun with me all the time. This continued for three miles until he exited the highway. What are your thoughts on car guns. Seems like a handgun would be the best.........
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Concealed carry pistol. I have a truck gun, but in a situation like that it would be best to have the gun on you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am one of those drivers that goes the speed limit. I am just not in any rush. Well... I was on a six lane highway doing the speed limit when some guys in a van pull within ten feet of my bumper. I consider this tailgating at 55 mph. There were two lanes he could easily pass me on so I tapped my brakes so he would go ahead and pass me. Well he went ballistic and started shaking his fist and moving even closer to my bumper. I did not understand it . He could have easily moved to another lane and passed. This really got me thinking about having a car gun with me all the time. This continued for three miles until he exited the highway. What are your thoughts on car guns. Seems like a handgun would be the best.........

You do understand that if you are in the far left lane, then you have to get over for faster drivers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Two things:
1.  Don't ever tap your brakes as that isn't exactly legal.  Just slow down a little until they pass you.
2.  It is completely legal here in VA to open carry a handgun.  When driving that is defined as on the passenger seat or the dash.  So you can put your pistol up on the dash for all to see without violating any laws.  Let them shake their fist at that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Officer....

i seen that rabbit run across the highway, i almost hit him, and when i hit the brakes someone smoked my old 72 pickup in the rear end

Man, almost hit that deer, glad my breaks worked!!!  
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Two things:
1.  Don't ever tap your brakes as that isn't exactly legal.  Just slow down a little until they pass you.
2.  It is completely legal here in VA to open carry a handgun.  When driving that is defined as on the passenger seat or the dash.  So you can put your pistol up on the dash for all to see without violating any laws.  Let them shake their fist at that.

While it may be legal I do not think it to be wise. The other guy might just call the police and make up a story that you were pointing it at him in a threatening manner. I think it would be better to save the gun for if he follows you to where ever it is you are going and then threatens or attempts physical violence on you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Usually when people tailgate me, we go 35 mph for a while. Since I usually speed anyway, anyone that is tailgating me is going pretty fast.

I carry my glock on me. Either in a holster or my coat pocket.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#8]
CCW, I drive the pace of traffic which here in Vegas can be pretty quick.  I also try to avoid situations that could lead to a road rage type encounter.  He wants to go by, fine I'll move over.  When I had my STi for some reason I never ran into that problem...
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do understand that if you are in the far left lane, then you have to get over for faster drivers.

Check your state laws.  This is not universal in every state.  Don't assume it is.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Were you in the far left lane?  Please clear this issue up.  If you were, then you should learn how to drive and learn common courtesy (sp).  If you were not, then the other dude was an ass.  I've learned to ignore people like that and they go away.  I either carry my Px4 in 9mm or a stainless Tomcat.                                                
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Were you in the far left lane?  Please clear this issue up.  If you were, then you should learn how to drive and learn common courtesy (sp).  If you were not, then the other dude was an ass.  I've learned to ignore people like that and they go away.

Yes, OP, please clear this issue up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
CCW, I drive the pace of traffic which here in Vegas can be pretty quick.  
Yep, around here ( and most other places I've driven) the majority traffic flow is around 70mph. Anyone going 55 is a hazard to everyone else.

I also try to avoid situations that could lead to a road rage type encounter.  He wants to go by, fine I'll move over.  When I had my STi for some reason I never ran into that problem...
Yep, traffic manhood checks aren't worth it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll call it.....You were putting along in  the left lane impeding the flow of traffic which wanted to go faster than you.

On most highways 55 is more of a hazard than the speeders.

Slower traffic should stay right.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I learned about this the hard way.  My first week back to work after getting hit from behind by a tailgater. (wrecked my back for life as it turns out) A comercial pickup truck was right on my bumper, I tapped the brakes , he got closer, slowed way down, he stayed on my bumper. We got off at the same exit and he was to my left and one car back at the light. I flipped him the bird and he went ballistic. He slid over to the passenger side of his truck , rolled down the window and started yelling what the f is you're problem etc.
I screamed back , you are you tailgating wreckless driving sob!  By this time I had my glock in my lap. Then this guy reaches down like he's grabbing for the door handle or a weapon....I really didn't know.  I pointed my glock at him and said if you come over here I'll blow your head off! he LAUGHS! and says  "you can't do that" Then I really thought oh shit I'm screwed and took off. As he was chasing me I saw him on the phone.
 To cut this short, I was totally honest with the cops when they came, but because HE called them, and I took off (I guess), and I admitted pointing the gun at him. I was screwed. It was his word against mine, and HE is the one who "called for help"
 I lost my glock , and all told about $2400 plus a day in jail and my carry permit for a year.
 I think it's better to let them go by you if you can.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check your state laws.  This is not universal in every state.  Don't assume it is.

It doesn't have to be illegal to be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I learned about this the hard way.  My first week back to work after getting hit from behind by a tailgater. (wrecked my back for life as it turns out) A comercial pickup truck was right on my bumper, I tapped the brakes , he got closer, slowed way down, he stayed on my bumper. We got off at the same exit and he was to my left and one car back at the light. I flipped him the bird and he went ballistic. He slid over to the passenger side of his truck , rolled down the window and started yelling what the f is you're problem etc.
I screamed back , you are you tailgating wreckless driving sob!  By this time I had my glock in my lap. Then this guy reaches down like he's grabbing for the door handle or a weapon....I really didn't know.  I pointed my glock at him and said if you come over here I'll blow your head off! he LAUGHS! and says  "you can't do that" Then I really thought oh shit I'm screwed and took off. As he was chasing me I saw him on the phone.
 To cut this short, I was totally honest with the cops when they came, but because HE called them, and I took off (I guess), and I admitted pointing the gun at him. I was screwed. It was his word against mine, and HE is the one who "called for help"
 I lost my glock , and all told about $2400 plus a day in jail and my carry permit for a year.
 I think it's better to let them go by you if you can.

I'd hate to hear his side of the story - your own side was pretty self-incriminating.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I was in the middle lane. The right lane had too many merging cars from on ramps. I am curious why he would not go ahead and pass when he had two other lanes to do so. The left lane had very few cars..............
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#18]
One of the first lessons of CCW is that you must be above reproach and take every step to deescalate a confrontation.  Giving another driver the finger is exactly what NOT to do when you CCW.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
SLOW TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT

It is unsafe to pass on the right. Execute your pass and the clear the overtaking lane. You are exhibiting Passive Aggressive behavior and a firearm will only exacerbate the P/A behavior.

I used to be an asshole in traffic. I got my CHL and I am very polite now. With the power of a firearm comes responsibility.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]
If you had, say, an M4 in a locked gun rack in the back window of your 1988 F150, it is very likely that Mr. Pissypants would have kept a safe two or three (dozen) car lengths between him and you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Tailgating is annoying and rude.  I reward this behavior by giving them the last thing they want...I let of the gas & drive progressively slower until they get off my a$$.

I'll spend the rest of the day driving 10 mph...I don't care.

However, I would never pull a gun on someone just for something as stupid as tailgating.  

If you pull a gun, you must be prepared to use it.  If you have the right to shoot, then in my opinion you have the right to kill.

Someone who tailgates and someone who will shoot that person for tailgating is the meeting of two idiots.          
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I do not plan to shoot anyone. Just seems like some people are crazy when they get behind the steering wheel. However....What if the crazy guys had continued to follow me. Is tailgating an acceptable thing now ???
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I had that happen once.  I pulled over and invited them to an ass-beating party.  He declined and drove off.

I may be very hesitant to bring a firearm into it, but I have no moral conflict with giving someone an attitude adjustment if it is needed.    
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Six lanes in VA makes me think you were up here in my neck of the woods.  Yes, people up here can't drive well.  If you weren't in the left hand lane, the other guy is the asshole.  It sounds like you weren't the one screwing up.  However, tapping the brakes may get you into a real jam.  I'm not sure what good a car gun would have done here.  Do you CCW?  If not, then I wouldn't even consider a car gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#25]
There are some crazy fucking stories on here.

Some of you people need to learn to stop CREATING or even ESCALATING confrontations. We're going to lose CCW if you guys don't put the fucking guns, middle fingers, etc. away.

There's no reason to ever, EVER roll down your window and speak to another driver while your on the highway.

I'll never hang off someone's bumper but if you're in the left lane and someone comes up behind you, you're driving too slow. Get over. It dosen't matter if you think they're driving to fast. That's not your business and not your judgement call. You need to go with the flow of traffic which gets progressively faster in the left lanes and slower in the right lanes. You should be able to find a lane that fits your "comfort speed zone". If not, get off and take the side roads.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 5:30:13 AM EDT
[#26]
If you were not in the far left lane, that guy was a total ass.  If you WERE in the far left lane, you were the total ass.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I was in the middle lane......... The left lane was open if he wanted to pass...... The right lane had merging traffic in it from entry ramps (three lanes going the same direction). I had moved over to allow merging traffic a place to enter. He would not pass !!! Just sat on my bumper about 10 feet behind me. I just don't understand the tailgating thing. I believe he is the one that is passive-aggressive.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Waving or displaying a gun at another driver who is making obscene gestures/shaking his fist at you from a moving vehicle is not a good idea.  I have personally seen situations where the aggressor turns good citizen and calls the police claiming that you are the armed aggressor.  

I would only do it if you are stuck in traffic and he got out of his car and approached your car and tried to break a window to get at you or ran you off the road or some similar situation.  

I would also call and notify the police about it because the victim is perceived as the one who calls the police first.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I hope you're not one of the complete cocksuckers in Northern Virginia who drives 55 m.p.h. in the left lane.  If you are then you deserve to be tailgated.  

ETA:  Okay, saw your followup post.  If you were in the middle lane then the other guy is a dick.  I still would not pull a gun because of it.  You will likely be charged with brandishing and your CCW will be taken away.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
SLOW TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT

No shit. Americans in general are fucking retards when comes to driving. Standard American ="I'm going the speed limit so I can stay in the middle or the left" Nobody needs to go faster, BTW nobody needs that AR, you cant hunt with it anyways.

I wish Americans were more like Germans/English when it comes to driving. Courteous and alert. Not fucking around on the phone going 5 MPH too slow in the left lane.

I would have done the same thing-get out of the way.

Rant off
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a truckload of 6 drunk teenagers/early twenties punk screaming at me in one hell of a traffic jam. The monster truck hootenanny had just let out and everyone was trying to go home (the dome holds 67000 and was sold out, you can imagine the chaos) Said punks somehow got the idea I had cut them off and kept screaming and yelling all sorts of things at us. I simply kept waving back and smiling. Thankfully they didn't go beyond name calling. I had my pistol sitting in my lap and had decided as soon as they got out and approached I would raise my gun and prepare to fire. I am so glad they didn't try anything and I am damn sure those kids have no idea how close they were to death/serious bodily injury.
One thing carrying a gun has taught me. You never know who is armed and how good they might be. It has taught me to be much more tolerant of typical asshole behaviour. Words don't bother me anymore but I won't run away from a serious threat.

ETA, after reading all the "get out of the left lane" remarks I have to say this.
On most american highways it is legal to drive 45 in the left lane. People do have that right. However having the right to do something and being courteous are totally different things. Yes, it is respectful and the right thing to do but sorry to tell you unless your state has a "keep left unless passing" law then those folk do have the right to go slow in the hammer lane.
And for the cops, I do know you have the discretion to ticket those going 45 in the passing lanes under many different laws such as C&I driving, impeding the flow etc.
Having a right and exercising it just to piss off others or just because you feel lik it is, well, what do you think?
BTW, I did by a .50 cal last right after the elections for 2 reasons;
1. I wanted to get it while I still can.
2. To piss of the anti's who would love to ban them.
Now am I am asshole?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I was in Roanoke Va. when the guy tailgated me. Not a big cosmopolitan area. I did not have a gun with me but wondered if I should. The guy was really nuts. I am curious. How do you guys handle tailgaters ? Am I the only one that is bothered by tailgaters ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#33]
If the speed limit is 55 than the speed limit is 55 not 60, 65, 70 or more.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So you're the type of jackass who will drive 55 in the left lane?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#35]
If you have a trunk gun...don't let anyone know about it PERIOD.

A pistol should be CCW on you at all times.

The Trunk Gun is for when you need serious firepower and the pistol is to keep you alive long enough to reach it.  

My choice for a trunk gun for be either a PS-90 with its 50 round magazine or something with a folding stock that you can shoulder.  It becomes very hard to hit your target when you have to fire a pistol AR or an AK with no stock.  

What ever the trunk gun it should have few parts, require little lubrication, and be placed in an excellent hard case.  A car trunk is like an oven so ammunition and weapons must be removed and cleaned often.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SLOW TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT

No shit. Americans in general are fucking retards when comes to driving. Standard American ="I'm going the speed limit so I can stay in the middle or the left" Nobody needs to go faster, BTW nobody needs that AR, you cant hunt with it anyways.

I wish Americans were more like Germans/English when it comes to driving. Courteous and alert. Not fucking around on the phone going 5 MPH too slow in the left lane.

I would have done the same thing-get out of the way.

Rant off

In Germany a driver's license is very expensive and takes much more driver's training and testing than within the United States.  

Most Americans can barely drive and when you place them in huge trucks or SUVs they become very dangerous hence the fact that more people died as the result of traffic accidents last year than in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

My view is what does 5 miles or 10 mile per hour really buy a person?  I've seen people driving break neck speeds past me only to end up right behind them at the off ramp.  

Is saving 10 minutes at best worth risking the lives of others on the road?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you're the type of jackass who will drive 55 in the left lane?

Yes I am. If thats the posted limit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#38]
If you really want to piss off a jerk who's yelling at you and flipping you the bird, just look right at them and smile and wave.   It really makes them go ballistic.  If it's a woman blow her a kiss.    If it ever comes to an actual verbal encounter, subtly questioning their sanity seems to work pretty well.   If you can, laugh at them and ask if they forgot to take their Prozac.   That'll send 'em over the edge like nothing else.

Maybe it's not wise to do any of this, but it sure feels good.

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Oh, those kind of drivers make me sick.  I usually drive 10 to 15 over the limit yet there are still these a$$holes right on my arse.  It's really frustrating, but I only rarely though about shooting the person.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#40]
no long gun, just a pistol.

Beyond that, just move over, it's NOT worth it.  TRUST ME.

I got into some trouble back when I was young and stupid.  Such bs is not worth the time or effort.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If you really want to piss off a jerk who's yelling at you and flipping you the bird, just look right at them and smile and wave.   It really makes them go ballistic.  If it's a woman blow her a kiss. <snip>   Maybe it's not wise to do any of this, but it sure feels good.

Blow the kiss either way, that'll make their head spin around.

The best way that I have found for removal of roadroids is to drive on the lane divider dots.  All the crap and gravel ends up there so if you drive on it you will be bouncing crap off their windshield the whole time.  Even the most dense of morons will figure that out pretty quickly and go on down the road.

I have also seen the windshield wiper spray thing used effectively to discourage tailgaters.

Mostly though, just move over and let the idiot go crash into someone else.  It's not worth your time, energy, or health.

-Out
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I usually drive the speed limit and thus rarely get in the left hand lane unless passing someone slower. However, tailgaters rarely get my BP up. I just recognize that the speedlimit becomes dangerous when someone is 5 feet off my bumper so I slow down until the 5 foot spacing is less dangerous.

On those occasions when someone wishes to give me a one-finger greeting, I typically respond with a blown kiss and wave. (and of course a wide smile)

Those who DEMAND that I drive faster than I choose to can kiss my tailpipe. And that's what tailgaters are doing, DEMANDING that you obey THEIR desires.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I've used a few different tactics on tailgate drivers....

Wiper squirters works best.

Slow down to idle if necessary.

(when on my motorcycle) a pocket full of 3/8" ball bearings.  They don't have to be thrown....just dropped--they bounce about windshield height, and they can't see you do it....if they do, you were just checking to see if something was in your pocket and they 'fell out'

Brake checking a tailgater really does give me warm, fuzzy feelings, but in this day/age, it's not worth the potential legal trouble.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:
I was in the middle lane......... The left lane was open if he wanted to pass...... The right lane had merging traffic in it from entry ramps (three lanes going the same direction). I had moved over to allow merging traffic a place to enter. He would not pass !!! Just sat on my bumper about 10 feet behind me. I just don't understand the tailgating thing. I believe he is the one that is passive-aggressive.

If he was driving a commercial truck above a certain gvwr, he may not have been legally allowed in the far left lane.

I do whatever I have to do short of endangering myself to appease a-hole drivers.  As has been said already by some others on this thread, you have to be willing to swallow your pride quite often when you ccw.

Unless you're a cop.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top