Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:54 PM EDT
After Watching the N.O. Mayhem, Are there any water resistant Shotgun Shells on the market?

For example, Carrying 100 shells in a hip pouch in waste deep water where they risk exposure, or in a rainy enviroment?

Lets say that the shells might be in the SHTF type scenario with you for several weeks or even months.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
tagged for next hurricane.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know of any buckshot or any other lead loads that are water resistent.

Almost every waterfowl ammo manufacturer will make one or more non-toxic loads that are water resistent; Winchester Dry-lok for instance.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
wax, or seal it with fingernail polish maybee?

Is that even safe?  Has anyone ever tried that?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
You can use fingernail polish or fast drying lacquer to seal the primers.
This is essentially how military ammo is sealed, although most military is also sealed around the case neck.

Simply use a small artist's brush to run a bead of sealer around the joint between the primer and the case head, not over the primer.

The problem with shotshells is the crimp over the shot.
Most commercial stuff has a small hole in the end.
A dab of something like a quick set epoxy or a dab of hot-melt glue in JUST the hole would work well.

You would also have to keep an eye on the case heads, since most are actually steel with a brass plated finish, and will rust.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is that the best shotgun shells for long term storage and reliability are brass.  They cost a lot, but better than losing an arm and a leg to "undocumented shoppers" when SHTF.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My understanding is that the best shotgun shells for long term storage and reliability are brass.  They cost a lot, but better than losing an arm and a leg to "undocumented shoppers" when SHTF.

The only brass I can seem to find en-bulk are those Silver Bear Shells,  Any good?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:33:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about waterproof shells or aplying fingernail polish to them. I know I keep my shells in MTM SD-100 dry boxes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know about waterproof shells or aplying fingernail polish to them. I know I keep my shells in MTM SD-100 dry boxes.

yup, that works, but when loaded in your gun in very wet, rainy conditions, and maybee getting the gun submerged due to fall or the like, you may want to keep the water out

If that 's the case I just replace my drum/mag and keep-on shooting...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I buy those floresent orange dry boxes that you find in the fishing section.  Mine is packed full of buckshot and slugs.  I guess I'd better get a little boat to drag it behind on a string.

R.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a few sets of shells that I sealed the primers on and the used a very thin layer of clear RTV / silicone on the entire crimp area. after submerging for 8 hours they all fired.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Actually, the Remington Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil Buckshot loads come with a sealant over the crimp.  The crimp is pretty tight with no real 'hole' in the center, and a shiny coating seals the folds and center of the crimp.  I also noticed the box is very clean with none of the powdered white buffer clinging to the box and shells as with other brands.

http://hometown.aol.com/allenst/RR12-00BK/RR12-00BK.jpg

http://hometown.aol.com/allenst/RR12-00BK/front.jpg
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#15]
THAT looks like a winner.

What I really, really want is a Remington LE Reduced Recoil load of #1 buckshot.
Remington DID make a #4 load, but seems to have discontinued it.

Since #1 is ballisticaly the best bet, I like to be able to buy that.

I think I'll write Remington and ask for such a load.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#16]
They make the LE Remmy in a slug?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top