Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/27/2012 8:42:27 PM EDT
Hi folks,
It was far past time to clean up the reloading room (at least according to my dear wife ). As I was going through it, I realized that I probably have more brass than I could reasonably use. So I thought about putting it up on the EE, but wanted to see your thoughts on the level of prep before sale. The brass is mostly 1x fired indoor range pick-up and I have a few thousand in different calibers. Is it worth it to do any of the following before selling? Clean, deprime, size?

I'm willing to do a little bit of work, but don't know if it's worthwhile. What are your thoughts?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:48:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:48:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By clocker:
Hi folks,
It was far past time to clean up the reloading room (at least according to my dear wife ). As I was going through it, I realized that I probably have more brass than I could reasonably use. So I thought about putting it up on the EE, but wanted to see your thoughts on the level of prep before sale. The brass is mostly 1x fired indoor range pick-up and I have a few thousand in different calibers. Is it worth it to do any of the following before selling? Clean, deprime, size?

I'm willing to do a little bit of work, but don't know if it's worthwhile. What are your thoughts?
Thanks!

I only buys dirty brass, for the most part. But some people don't like cleaning. Running it a couple of hours in the tumbler would be the most effort that I'd put into it. Beyond that, people would probably expect you to sort it out based on brand.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:54:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 9:20:43 PM EDT by pdg45acp]
I clean all the brass I sell, that's all I do to it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:12:07 PM EDT
Most guys are set up to do the entire process.

As stated above, sort it and clean it is about all you can do to maximize the price verses the time you put into it.

For the record, of you dont HAVE to sell it, hold on to it; I have a feeling your asking price will climb drastically in the next few years. Besides, what do you want to guess a 55 gallon drum of .45s would be worth when brass is at $4/# scrap???
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:40:37 PM EDT
Thank you all for the advice. I'm in no hurry to sell, so I might just make sure that it is stored out of the way for a bit. If I do decide to put it up on EE, I'll probably just tumble and list it as mixed headstamp + all other appropriate info. After sorting a few thousand 223 cases tonight for reloading, I am disinclined to start in on any more :)
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:03:13 PM EDT
I only buy new brass (Remington, Winchester) from the same lot. I never buy mixed lots of brass.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:02:37 AM EDT
I would atleast tumble the brass, I wouldnt deprime it as it is a hassle. You can charge more for tumbled brass!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:27:55 AM EDT
Sell it as is.

If it was me buying it I would have to do everything myself just to make sure that it is done the way I want it done.

No sense you going through the trouble of doing something that I will end up doing anyway.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:25:36 AM EDT
After having bought a fair quantity of once-fired range pick ups, I'd advise that you sort your calibers VERY carefully. In a bag of .308 I bought, the were something like 15% other calibers, including 8mm, 7mm 08, and 243, along with 6 rounds of Berdan primed .308 (and 3 of those were totally impossible to deprime). Keep your reputation looking good with very careful inspection and sorting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:52:02 AM EDT
Looks like we are in for a long period of unknown availability of guns,mags,ammo . If it continues reloading components and brass likely will come into play.
I wouldn't get rid of anything at this point unless you are swapping it for something you are short on
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:25:29 AM EDT
Thank you all for the advice. I'm in no hurry to sell, so I might just make sure that it is stored out of the way for a bit. If I do decide to put it up on EE, I'll probably just tumble and list it as mixed headstamp + all other appropriate info. After sorting a few thousand 223 cases tonight for reloading, I am disinclined to start in on any more :)

That's your best bet.

I know how you feel about the sorting thing...I think we all do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:34:01 AM EDT
just describe it accurately. Most people sell brass that's tumbled. Remove all the junk from it: berdan primed, steel cases, wrong calibers (like 9x18 MAK mixed in with 9mm). Underestimate the number of cases a bit so the buyer doesn't get cheated.

If selling exact number like 1000, toss in an extra 10 or so for good measure

Double box the brass, nothing sucks more than receiving a split open flat rate box with brass falling out of it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:33:43 AM EDT
OP, why not put the brass up for sale, like this:

ex: selling 1k 9mm brass NATO headstamp for $50, will deprime, deburr, and tumble for an additional $15 per k

that way you are open to more potential buyers

I just threw some numbers up there, by no means use what I wrote as what you should sell your brass for
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:48:07 AM EDT
A few thousand is nothing to store away for later use. I keep extra brass and supplies stored for my daughters and future son inlaws .We have seen the price increase and it will get worse .
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:50:41 AM EDT

I sorted through a 5 gallon bucket that was mostly RP. I knew there would be some other headstamps in it. I wanted to keep 50% of the RP and sell the remainder (got enough to pay break even and basically got the 50% of the RP for free) and then sold the mixed stuff as mixed to make a little extra. It took me a couple of hours, BUT it was worth it to get the higher resale value of same headstamps.

I've got 6k pieces of brass enroute and I'm hoping they show up while I am still on holiday :) I don't know the mix, but it was really cheap.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:48:24 AM EDT
I would sell it as range brass not tumbled unless the buyer didn't have a way to clean them then I would clean them for them no extra charge
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:55:37 AM EDT
I would keep all calibers that I could possibly use.

Store the brass in scrapbooking bins at the back of your wife's closet. She will never know it is there...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:33:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
A few thousand is nothing to store away for later use. I keep extra brass and supplies stored for my daughters and future son inlaws .We have seen the price increase and it will get worse .

Can I be a future Sun in Law? Ok kidding.

In reality you are so correct. I am newer to this game and don't have a lot of stuff saved up. In some ways begin carefull and deliberate may have actually cost me this time.
Top Top