Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 8:42:31 AM EDT
I'm looking for some 12 gauge action dummies to paractice with in my 870. Anyone have any experience with them? I don't want the plastic type and would like them to be of similar weight to loaded shells.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Azoom makes solid aluminum snap caps.

Dillons sells them.

I've never used them, but they do have the weight of a live round.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Those look interesting. I wonder if they would hold up to being cycled through the action.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the ones Brownells sells.  They are the correct weight and feel.

www.brownells.com
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Be careful about extensive cycling (and ejecting) of full weight dummies.  I was doing a lot of this and actually bent my ejector.  I was doing a lot of dry fire practice last winter, getting ready for our tactical shotgun program.  Remember, ejectors are designed for ejecting empty cases.  The added inertia of the shot will bend an ejector that would NEVER be harmed by empty shells.

Cycling dummies through occasionally is fine, but if you do it a lot (hundreds of times), you may run into the same problem I had.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you asking about snap caps, or action proving dummies?

Snap caps are more or less useless for checking feeding and ejection functions.  Snap caps are NOT the exact size, weight or balance of live ammo.  
These are used only for "padding" or protecting firing pins.

Action proving dummies, as sold by Brownell's, are specifically made to duplicate dimensions, weight, and balance of live ammo.  These are used to check feeding and ejection.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the rifleman nailed it, you just have to shoot more, a lot more. MIKE
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top