Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2010 12:04:27 PM EDT
5 years ago, I caved to pressure and sold my pre-safety Marlin 1984 in 44mag.

I was sure I wanted one in 357mag so avoiding the ARFCOM get both rule, I let it go for $300, which was a very foolish $35. profit.

Recently the new owner was moaning about the cost of ammo in general so I offered to buy back the Marlin and any ammo he had so he could buy more 223 and 45acp.

He had 3 boxes of Winchester JSPs that he paid $25 per box in 2005.

I offered $400 for the rifle and ammo, he countered with $375 and I have to help him find one in 357/38 spec...No, he is not getting mine.

I committed to a new recoil pad from SteelersFan and bought a Leupold 1-4 in the EE from Glock223, now i need a scope base.

I think I have a set of sling studs and an ammo sleeve for the butt stock.

I'm hoping it handles 44spec. as well since I just bought an S&W 696.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
mine was a 336 in 30-30 and stolen from me.... of everything that's ever been stolen from me, I miss that the most.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
mine was a 336 in 30-30 and stolen from me.... of everything that's ever been stolen from me, I miss that the most.

I had owned a 336 at 2 times, one with and one without a scope.
Never got much when they sold, missed them immediately.

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Last month i considered selling my marlin 444 guide gun for just a second when a friend offered me a ridiculous amount of money for it.

Then i remembered what a smile it puts on my face when i shoot her
I've never really had a thing for lever guns owned virtually every make mdl caliber out there never kept them until this one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Last month i considered selling my marlin 444 guide gun for just a second when a friend offered me a ridiculous amount of money for it.

Then i remembered what a smile it puts on my face when i shoot her I've never really had a thing for lever guns owned virtually every make mdl caliber out there never kept them until this one.

I bought a 444 just to get the Leupold 1.5-5 scope it wore.

I took it to the next show and got damn near what I paid for the rifle with rings and a Weaver base.
This should have been a clue that I was screwing up once again...but nooooo.

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You forgot pics of your new old weapon!
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You forgot pics of your new old weapon!

Waiting for the new recoil pad, still need a base and rings to mount the 1-4 Leupold.
Then...if my daughter deems me and my silly hobby worthy of her time...I'll get pictures to post.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then i remembered what a smile it puts on my face when i shoot her I've never really had a thing for lever guns owned virtually every make mdl caliber out there never kept them until this one.

I took it to the next show and got damn near what I paid for the rifle with rings and a Weaver base.

Maybe you'll learn. Some day.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 3 marlins. Ones an 1894 cowboy  classic and it has that sucky cross bolt safety. Shoots lead 45colt loads but hates jacketed bullets expect corbon +p loads.

Just bought a winchester musket, nra commerative from 1971 in 30/30(hopefully I'll get to shoot it this weekend).

I'm looking to buy a 1892 saddle ring winchester in 44-40 if I can scrape up the money. The rifle was made in 1893(according to the serial number) an is 90%+ condition.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then i remembered what a smile it puts on my face when i shoot her
I've never really had a thing for lever guns owned virtually every make mdl caliber out there never kept them until this one.

The regular 444 marlin rifles are nice couple of my friends have them.

But both of them now want the guide gun version after using mine.

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The regular 444 marlin rifles are nice couple of my friends have them.
But both of them now want the guide gun version after using mine.

I was going to scratch the Guide Gun itch in 45-70 and then I traded into an H&R Shikari in 45-70.
Straight stock, plastic butt plate... even the moderate recoil cast bullet loads let you know you touched one off.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's never the fancy guns that you miss after a shitstain thief gets them, it's one that you identify with the most. For me, it was a Buckmark Carbine with a Tactical Solutions aluminum threaded barrel, topped with a Shepherd scope. There were only 19 of the barrels made so I was SOL until member Odt was gracious enough to give me first purchase rights on it when he thinned his Buckmark collection. I just love this gun like no other, it would be one of the last things I ever let go of all the toys I own.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I strip the stock and forend off and boxed all the parts tonight.
Going to strip and stain and oil coat the wood as I want it darker and there are some scratches in the bowling pin finish.

Going to have the barrel and mag tube cut to 16.25 and add a recoil pad I bought from a fellow ARFCOMer.

Not sure which sights to finish it off with but thinking the XS scout mount will work with the Leupold 1-4.

Does anyone have pics of a Marlin that has been Parkerized or had one coated with another type of finish?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top