Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2013 7:54:47 AM EDT
I am wondering, as I see the popular rifle powders all on backorder, if Accurate 2495 is a good second choice?  I see it is extruded, not ball so should be less high temp sensitive in TX summer?  Also some (few!) comments on web that it is similar to 4895 (H or IMR?) for reloading purposes.  Can someone advise me, before I buy and cry?
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I like AA powders and use them in rifle and pistol carts.

Per AA's pamphlet, "AA-2495 is a medium-fast burning, single base, extruded powder that was developed around the .308 Win. and can be used over a very wide range of calibers.  It's extremely popular for use in he .308 Win and .30-06 Service shooting disciplines."

Since it's "NOT" (eta) a ball powder, temp sensitivity 'may be' a bit more stable, but you should always have a hot and cold load if you live in climates with huge temperature swings, anyhow.

Looks like it gives good to very good velocities in 223 Rem with 55s and 69s.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Chris, I may order some and see how it works for both my LR308 and .223 AR's!
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In on this since I have some 2495 enroute.  Chris where do you see this .223 data published?

Thanks,
Sudboy
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In on this since I have some 2495 enroute.  Chris where do you see this .223 data published?

Thanks,
Sudboy

I don't know if you're new to reloading, but you can go to most all of the powder maker's websites and request, for free, their reloading pamplets.  These are only meant to be supplements to the more thorough reloading manuals, but heck, they're another reference and I have them all.

Alliant, VV, Accurate, Winchester, Hodgdon, Western, et al....just spend an hour looking for the 'applications' on their sites and get them.  Always good for cross-referencing while in the bathroom.

To answer your question, it's Accurate's Reloaders Guide 2005.

And remember...their name says it all, lol.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#5]
What Chris said!!!  You can never have too many references for your powder!  Another thing I learned is, different lots of the same powder may vary.  So I developed the habit of dropping my max load a notch or two when I got a different batch of the same powder, and would test it to see if it was still the same.  This was especially important to me when using the powder measure on the press.  Did read one interesting comment on another site about Accurate 2495.  Near max loads, it can suddenly go from being hot & safe to hot and dangerous, pressure-wise.  Don't know if this is true or not......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top