Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 1:50:22 PM EDT
Local Wal Mart was clearancing out thier Winchester premium Sabot slugs for 2.99 a box, compared to 10.99 and I bought all they had left. I have yet to shoot any yet, but I was curious to see what type of accuracy can be expected from these slugs out of a smooth barrel. Winchester reccomends a rifled barrel for best results, but I am guessing at close range, accuracy will be usable out of a non rifled shotgun. I can pattern under 2 inches at 50 yards with my 20 inch 870 Police using Remington reduced recoil 1oz slugs, so I am guessing at 25 yards these slugs should be capable of around 4 inches out of the same gun. Anyone have experience with Sabot slugs and smooth barrels? If its hopeless, I think I will give them away to someone with a rifled barrel as they are expensive slugs and it seems silly to waste them. Any imput?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
At the risk of sounding like some self-proclaimed expert on the topic, shooting slugs is something I've done a whole lot of.  The first point worth making is that you've got to get your mind right about what acceptable accuracy should be from this platform.  We're probably not looking for one-holer groups at 100 yards.  Instead, the goal is a solid 2-3" group at 50 yards which is entirely within the realm of your smoothbore shooting sabot slugs.

For most slug shooters, the larger issue is sighting.  Using the top of the reciever and a bead will produce your worst results for reasons which should be obvious.  If you move up to any kind of improved sights, you will net much better slug accuracy.  My dedicated slug gun is a Remington 1100 with a 20" barrel, rifled choke and rifle sights.  You can hit easily a paper plate with it offhand at 100 yards.  Last summer I won a bet shooting it at an 8" plate offhand @ 200 yards using Remington Copper Solid Sabots - needless to say, that falls into the realm of "lobbing".  Again, this is all IMO.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
from what i know saboted slugs are for rifled barrels
foster type are for smoothbore
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an 1187 smoothbore for 3 Gun & we shoot slugs at different stages. I'm pleasantly surprised at the groups I get with the cheapest slugs out there & that's rarely ever sabots.

At 50 yards, I would think 2-3" groups would be doable off of a rest. Maybe off-hand, if you're a good shooter?

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
General consensus of people who have experimented with shooting sabot slugs in a non-rifled shotgun is, they aren't as accurate as standard rifled slugs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have the Rem Choke System, you can get a rifled choke tube that will increase the accuracy potential a lot.  A fully rifled barrel would be better with sabots.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
" My dedicated slug gun is a Remington 1100 with a 20" barrel, rifled choke and rifle sights. You can hit easily a paper plate with it offhand at 100 yards. Last summer I won a bet shooting it at an 8" plate offhand @ 200 yards using Remington Copper Solid Sabots - needless to say, that falls into the realm of "lobbing"."

No offense intended, but I'd have to see that to believe it... I do most of my gun hunting for deer with slugs, and have shot pretty much all of them  with different barrel combinations - and for ANYONE to "easily" hit pie plates @ 100 yards shooting offhand would surely be a feat - not to mention 8" offhand @ 200 yards with a shotgun with irons...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
General consensus of people who have experimented with shooting sabot slugs in a non-rifled shotgun is, they aren't as accurate as standard rifled slugs.

That's been my experience on the subject...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you have the Rem Choke System, you can get a rifled choke tube that will increase the accuracy potential a lot.  A fully rifled barrel would be better with sabots.

Agreed...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Last summer I won a bet shooting it at an 8" plate offhand @ 200 yards using Remington Copper Solid Sabots - needless to say, that falls into the realm of "lobbing".

"Camera man ready.....here we go, 200 yard paper plate shot, take 4327."  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Last summer I won a bet shooting it at an 8" plate offhand @ 200 yards using Remington Copper Solid Sabots - needless to say, that falls into the realm of "lobbing".

"Camera man ready.....here we go, 200 yard paper plate shot, take 4327."  

Yeah, really - I have to say, that if he could make THAT shot, he'd win some money from me, too... Offhand @ 200 yards with open sights???!!! That 8" plate is just a tiny speck at that distance - I regularly shoot pie plates at 200 yards with the irons on an FAL or AR-15, and those plates don't look too big from that distance - and offhand, I doubt I could manage many hits at all - and not meaning to brag, but I'm generally considered a decent offhand shot...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
" My dedicated slug gun is a Remington 1100 with a 20" barrel, rifled choke and rifle sights. You can hit easily a paper plate with it offhand at 100 yards. Last summer I won a bet shooting it at an 8" plate offhand @ 200 yards using Remington Copper Solid Sabots - needless to say, that falls into the realm of "lobbing"."

No offense intended, but I'd have to see that to believe it... I do most of my gun hunting for deer with slugs, and have shot pretty much all of them  with different barrel combinations - and for ANYONE to "easily" hit pie plates @ 100 yards shooting offhand would surely be a feat - not to mention 8" offhand @ 200 yards with a shotgun with irons...

- georgestrings

I can easily hit a paper plate off hand at 100yards with my 870(28"bbl). No BS. At 200 though... That is betting material. I can hit a 12" steel plate @200 with my ruger 10/22 almost every shot once I get in the grove. I gotta find a nice spot about 5' above the target to aim at. That will just get me the bottom of the plate. I would say that the shotgun would be about the same difficulty. Doable if thats what you train on.

Edit: Oh yeah, I thought the sabot slugs were for shootin out of rifled barrels only. I could be wrong but I think that the lack of rifling would cause the bullet to spin all fucked up.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate the disbelief at a 200 yard slug shot, so let me clarify.  The 100 yard shot is no problem because it's just a matter of correct holdover.  200 yards is a whole 'nother ball of wax.  There is so much drop that the sights are useless.  It took me about five shots to dial in where I needed to be aiming - mind you this is a "both eyes open" shot which is aimed more like a mortar than a rifle.  It comes down to "put it on your shoulder and with both eyes open, overlay the front of the forearm with the target" kind of thing.  But once you figure it out for your shotgun, you too can hit things at 200 yards (FYI, this is not a practical or sporting shot by any means).  

As I said, it was to settle a bet.  I'm sure your friends will jump around and cheer like mine did.  Give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#13]
From the "For what it's worth department".

Last fall I read the book "One Ranger" by retired Texas Ranger H. Joaquin Jackson.

This was an account of his legendarily "eventful" 30 years as a hard-case Texas border Ranger.

In one chapter, he discussed his weapons, which ranged from an M2 full-auto carbine, to a M14.
His pistol of choice was a Colt Commander.
He also used at various times, a S&W .44 Magnum for horse mounted duty, an Armalite AR-180, and his favorite weapon, a custom hard chromed, 16" barreled Winchester Model 94.

His favorite shotgun was a Remington Model 1100, which he said "allowed him to hit a man at up to 300 yards.

Jackson is not noted for BS-ing, so I'd tend to take his word for it, unless this is a misprint.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Good stories all around.  I wanted to add that I'm no magical shooter, this is a real do-able shot and as the man said, you've gotta try it to make it happen.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I first became a cop we had S&W MP10 .38 specials. I brought my gun to the range and shot the living shit out of it and could make head shots at 100 yards easily. Could I do it today, no f-ing way beacause I have not had that gun in my hand for 12 or so years.

The lesson is shoot, shoot more and shoot more often. Don't spend money on shit to hang off your barrel until you are confident with the gun as is.

I own 9 1100's and 6 870's. They come to my shoulder without any thought. That is what you want.

A few months ago I bought a 18" barrel 870 Express barrel. I benched the gun and it could give 6' goups with slugs at 100 yards. With no sight! Now I bring that gun to my shoulder and hit head shots at 50 yards off hand with ease.  Next year I am using that barrel to hunt deer on Long Island as soon as I kill one with my new sp-10. MIKE.

six foot groups at 100 yards is not good at all.  I am thinking you meant 6"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top