Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2002 4:43:23 AM EDT
in the latest issue of special weapons they have an article on ar-15's and they say must to do to your gun is to install the accu-wedge to tighten up the fit between the lower and upper reciever. It says it improves accuracy by 30%, I was wondering if any one here has tried this product or if you have any comments
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
in the latest issue of special weapons they have an article on ar-15's and they say must to do to your gun is to install the accu-wedge to tighten up the fit between the lower and upper reciever. It says it improves accuracy by 30%, I was wondering if any one here has tried this product or if you have any comments

That's why you should save your $$ and not buy gun rags.

They will help take the rattle out of a loose upper/lower combo, but actually do very little for accuracy.
 Go ahead and use one if it makes you feel better. Sometimes feeling better about your rifle makes you shoot it better.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Waldo hit the nail on the head, they make the rifle more accurate because you think it makes the rifle more accurate, hence you will shot it better.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
in reality the sights [ iron or glass] are mounted on the upper and aligned with the barrel, accuwedge does not affect this alignment.  accuwedge is all in the head thing and the sar guy has his head up his butt if he thinks 30% improvement unless the accuracy is the fit of the upper to lower IMHO
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I noticed no improvement in accuracy at all either, but I do like the way the rifle feels more solid after installing it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I noticed no improvement in accuracy at all either, but I do like the way the rifle feels more solid after installing it.

Ditto that. I didn't notice any accuracy improvement, but it does feel snugger now, a little more solid fitting. A minor improvement, but hey, it's only a couple of bucks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Tend to agree with other posters although my CR 6724 came with one in it and does shoot slightly (1/8th - 1/16th of an inch better on 5 shot groups at 100 yards, it fell out once while I was assembling lower to upper outta my carry case and I noticed it later) better groups with it installed than without it, but 30% sounds a little overly optimistic.

Mike  
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Consider the design of the AR.  The sights (whether scope or iron), bolt and barrel are all mated in the upper receiver - essentially one piece when the bolt is closed.  Therefore, the accuracy relative to the sight is unaffected.  The only way the wedge will have any effect is if the fit between upper and lower is very loose.  In that case, it MAY affect the trigger pull.  With a loose fit, you may unintentionally jerk the trigger rather than squeeze.  If the upper and lower fit reasonably well, use the money on more ammo for practice.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with the others here. The barrel, upper receiver, carrier, bolt, and sights are all part of the 'upper assembly' the lower unit has nothing to do with this alignment.

One lower unit mod that does affect accuracy is installing a better trigger.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#9]
the accu-wedge makes little difference in shooting. However, i am selling a "tacticle" accu-wedge that will make a big difference!
It will give you a 100% increase in accuracy. just send me 29.95 and your's will be on it's way
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I recently picked up a Law Enforcement Magazine, which talks in detail about the importance of a tight upper/lower fit, which is why you see "mated" pairs of uppers and lowers for national match guns.  The article STRESSED that an AR is only as accurate as the action is tight.  

The bottom line is that you should get one.  I have one and rotate between two since the rubber compresses after a while in the action.  I also believe there is a special tensioning pin that is being sold.  I forgot the manufacturer, but it looks like  a great idea.  

My AR's have pretty tight fit, so I'm not the one that would benefit most from these wedges, but I'm sure a loose AR COULD see that 30% gain.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:49:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the accu-wedge makes little difference in shooting. However, i am selling a "tacticAl" accu-wedge that will make a big difference!
It will give you a 100% increase in accuracy. just send me 29.95 and your's will be on it's way

Just trying to piss of the world, one person at a time!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#13]
A RELATIVELY SIMPLE FIX FOR A LOOSE UPPER/LOWER FIT WE HAVE FOUND IS TO DRILL THE LOWER, JUST ABOVE THE PISTOL GRIP, IN THE REAR BY WHERE THE WEB OF YOUR THUMB GOES. DRILL AT THE ANGLE THAT WILL LINE UP WITH THE PUSH PIN. TAP THIS HOLE 1/4X20. INSTALL A SET SCREW AT THIS POINT. TIGHTEN THE SET SCREW UNTIL IT CONTACTS THE PUSH PIN, THEN LIGHTLY TIGHTEN UNTIL YOU HAVE A SNUG UPPER/LOWER FIT. ONCE YOU HAVE THE AMOUNT OF TIGHTNESS YOU DESIRE, LOCTITE THE SCREW WITH BLUE LOCTITE. NOTHING TO DROP OUT AND A PRETTY PERMANENT FIX FOR A LOOSE UPPER/LOWER FOR ABOUT .08 CENTS. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SET SCREW OR YOU WILL NEED A HAMMER TO MOVE THE PUSH PIN.
dENNY

THAT SOUNDS PRETTY SCARY TO ME!!
If I were going to do something to take up slack it would be the accu wedge. Drilling my lower and adding a crooked screw sound like a void of warrenty to me. Also sounds pretty hard to break the weapon down and reassemble.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#14]
The Accu-Wedge is a cheap fix if all you are trying to do is get the rattle out of upper/lower and not make the fit tighter between the upper/lower. My suggestion is the JP Enterprises AR Tensioning Pin, which replaces the rear takedown screw/pin with a unit that uses an allen-head screw. This actually pulls the upper down tight onto the lower, unlike the Accu-Wedge which actually pushes the two apart.

I use the JP unit on my 6601 which I use as a great varmint rifle. I don't know about an increase in acuracy, but I can swear by the tight fit btw upper and lower-no gap at all. Only problem is it's not quite as easy to take down to clean as when there was just the pin to knock out. Also, there is NO PERMANENT ALTERATION. If you don't like it, just replace the new pin with the original and you're back to completely stock condition.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#15]
If they improved accuracy that much there would be an entire forum dedicated to them and they would cost a lot more than a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll go against the grain here. It tightened up the groups in my factory 20" v-match.(12x leupold /6lb trigger) With handloads the best it would do without it was 1 -1 1/4, now it shoots 1/2 -3/4 without the fliers. Groups would be comprised of a pair clusters. A loose gun will never shoot to its ability if both halves are moving independent of each other, especially if your working with a heavy trigger.The key to accuracy is removing all the variables. Got a tack driveing bolt action, try loosening the stock / action screws and see how it shoots. Same principals at work here.

Then again if your shooting ball ammo your not likely to see an improvement.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'll go against the grain here. It tightened up the groups in my factory 20" v-match.(12x leupold /6lb trigger) With handloads the best it would do without it was 1 -1 1/4, now it shoots 1/2 -3/4 without the fliers. Groups would be comprised of a pair clusters. A loose gun will never shoot to its ability if both halves are moving independent of each other, especially if your working with a heavy trigger.The key to accuracy is removing all the variables. Got a tack driveing bolt action, try loosening the stock / action screws and see how it shoots. Same principals at work here.

Then again if your shooting ball ammo your not likely to see an improvement.

Well when tested off of rigid mounts with no human interference in the weapon, testing done at by the military on the subject has shown no difference in the weapons' performances.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Accu-Wedge is a cheap fix if all you are trying to do is get the rattle out of upper/lower and not make the fit tighter between the upper/lower. My suggestion is the JP Enterprises AR Tensioning Pin, which replaces the rear takedown screw/pin with a unit that uses an allen-head screw. This actually pulls the upper down tight onto the lower, unlike the Accu-Wedge which actually pushes the two apart.

I use the JP unit on my 6601 which I use as a great varmint rifle. I don't know about an increase in acuracy, but I can swear by the tight fit btw upper and lower-no gap at all. Only problem is it's not quite as easy to take down to clean as when there was just the pin to knock out. Also, there is NO PERMANENT ALTERATION. If you don't like it, just replace the new pin with the original and you're back to completely stock condition.

Yup, the JP Tensioning pin is the one I was trying to remember the name of.  Smokin44 is exactly correct in that for an accurate rifle, you need to eliminate all variables, especially those related to tightness of the gun.  The JP pin is a bit expensive though, but I haven't used it, so I can't say if the cost is worth it!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#19]
A lot of people say that the Acu-Wedge doesn't increase accuracy, but consider this:

1.  You are squeezing the trigger.
2.  As the trigger breaks, the loose upper shifts (ever so slightly), shifting the point of aim AND the point of impact.  This means LARGER GROUPS.

Now, if the upper were bolted to a bench, like a free-rifle, it wouldn't make a difference.  But a loose upper will shift the point of aim and impact if it's loose enough.  As an extreme example, wouldn't a SUPER WIGGLY upper/lower combination have much more visible effects on accuracy?  If so, then a slightly loose upper/receiver might have a slight impact on accuracy.

All that said, the Acu-Wedge is a must, because a loose upper/lower means REDUCED RELIABILITY in feeding.  I've carried M16s that were so loose that they wouldn't feed a single round, and I had to tape the upper and lower together just to get it to work.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#20]
One time I bought a air-cleaner for my 87 Chevy that claimed to increase HP by 30%.

For the $2 the accu-wedge is a must have. More for "feel" than accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I have them in my guns.  They are a total crock.  It could be that I only have the standard red ones and not the new tactical black units.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#22]

I don't see ANY difference in my 24" Varmint barrel AR, with or without the JP tensioning pin.
 It still shoots like crap. I'm rebarreling it this winter. That's what it really needs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have them in my guns.  They are a total crock.  It could be that I only have the standard red ones and not the new tactical black units.

While many will dispute any accuracy improvements, there's no doubt about the reliability of a tighter action.  Mis-matched upper/lower combos have higher FTF problems than a properly aligned and tightened receiver combo.  The JT Tensioning Pin is nice, but I wouldn't want to have to fool with it if I had to break my rifle down quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top