Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2011 9:37:55 AM EDT
Does anyone own one of these, or know about them?

They seem to be based on the 870 express mag, but their receivers only read "870" and the safety is different (or so I've read).
Anyone know about the internals?

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/firearms/shotguns&selectedSKU=0350-02662-2151
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Trigger housing is plastic, and there might be a few other cost saving features.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it a blue finish, or that matte/parkerized stuff? Get yourself a Maverick 88 for $168.00. 5 +1 shots too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Trigger housing is plastic, and there might be a few other cost saving features.

As is every 870 Express.  Also, polymer trigger guards have proven more durable - at least for Ruger.  Their 10/22 polymer trigger guard withstands impact (as in, no cracking/breaking), much better than the aluminum trigger guard (cracks completely with the same amount of impact)

This is what I found from a Remington press release, except this is talking about the 20ga Shurshot.  It sounds like it's a slug gun.

Offerings for 2009 are as follows:
Remington® Model 870™ Express® ShurShotTM
Model 870 Express ShurShot  FR-CL
Gauge 20 (2 ¾ or 3-inch)
Mag. Capacity 4
BBL Length 18 1/2 inches
Barrel Type Fully Rifled Cantilever
Sights Cantilever Scope Mount
Metal Finish Matte Black
Overall Length 38 3/4 inches
Length of Pull 13 3/4 inches
Drop (Comb) 1 1/2 inches
Drop (Heel) 2 inches
Stock Material Synthetic
Stock Finish Black Synthetic
Avg. Weight 6 3/8 lbs
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As is every 870 Express.  Also, polymer trigger guards have proven more durable - at least for Ruger.  Their 10/22 polymer trigger guard withstands impact (as in, no cracking/breaking), much better than the aluminum trigger guard (cracks completely with the same amount of impact)
[/quote]

So why do the Remington 870 and 11-87 Police models not use the plastic trigger guard?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So why do the Remington 870 and 11-87 Police models not use the plastic trigger guard?

Ask them.  

With the advances in polymer, it's proven to be lighter and more durable than metals in many applications.  (IE: Bending/flexing instead of denting or cracking all together)

I have a metal trigger guard on my 1970s Wingmaster, and I haven't had a problem with it.  That said, the polymer one on my Express works just fine, too.  

I'm not trying to get into an argument over this, but simply stating that having good polymer parts isn't really a downside or a feature of a "cheap" gun.  The Ruger video shows that polymer trigger guards can actually have advantages over metal ones, especially when dealing with a gun that's going to be knocked around.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top