Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 11:20:09 AM EDT
  Use the method in the Falfiles build section where you mount a 36 grit sanding disc onto the barrel, screw it into the upper hand tight then rotate the disc to shave off some metal? It is timeing out at 10 O'clock hand tight. Anybody do this?  Any other options
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
10:00 is just about perfect.

You should be able to mash it TDC from there, provided you have a good receiver wrench/vice block and a pipe extender to get lererage.

I've done 3, every one was an adventure, only one needed shaving, and I shaved it to 10:00.

FWIW, I used the FALFILES method, but used WADMAN'S machined barrel shaver.  I don't think you'll need to take any off.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah i agree with citadel lthough i've prefered 10:30 , 10 should work.

I've used a file for a build or two, they turned out fine.  But i much prefer the shaver, its just so easy and quick.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#3]
HOLD THE PHONE THERE!!!

Make sure that the breech face of the barrel isn't bottoming out against the back side of the feed ramps. If it is, you will have to have that breech face machined in order to torque it down.

With the barrel hand tight, make sure that there is a visible gap between the breech face and the back side of the feed ramps.

If it isn't bottomed out, you can torque that barrel to TDC from the 10 o'clock hand timed position, but you had better have a damned good barrel vise and receiver wrench.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, lots of people just look at the barrel shoulder to receiver fit. The breech end of the barrel screws pretty far into the receiver. Make sure the barrel face isn't marking or galling the feed ramp.

FALs are pretty easy to build if you know what to look for. Have fun.
I've built a few. Most have went right together without any problems. Only one needed the barrel shoulder taken down a few thousands to get it to time correctly.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are using a receiver wrench secured in a vice and am going to torque from 10:00 with the handwrench method, it won't quite make it.  You need to got to 10:45 to 10:55 in order to make this torque.  The barrel vice and receiver wrench method is a different animal.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If you try to torque the barrel from too far out you can stretch the receiver threads, ruining them and the barrel.  I usually get mine to hand tighten to around 11:00 befire cranking on it.  Too much torque can also cause stress on the barrel which can cause your rifle to group badly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I wouldn't try to tighten it from 10 o'clock - 10:30 is as far out as I'd go with - anything more than that, I'd chuck up the barrel in a lathe, and take a bit off the shoulder that way 'til it hand timed between 10:30 and 11:00... Also, I agree with making sure it isn't the breech face making contact and stopping things...

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top