Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/29/2002 11:55:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 12:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2002 12:02:01 PM EDT by brent5412]
Ive owned an AR50 and they are extremely accurate. The Ferrett is very nice if you are looking for an upper type. Another one to look at is the SERBU. www.serbu.com

All are nice, well built, just depends on what your intended purpose is. Hunting, BR shooting, or true competiton.

just my .02
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 12:22:07 PM EDT
I've shot the AR50, McMillan, Serbu, State Arms and Barrett. I would love to shoot each once again, ONCE. I would, however, shoot the ArmaLite AR50 all day long. Accurate, good looking and, most importantly for a puss like me, THE THING DON'T KICK. I know, they all kick, but the AR was a kitten. The muzzle brake works overtime. Loud as hell but the recoil is like a .308.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 12:36:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 12:46:20 PM EDT
For low budget shooter, the AR50 or the Barrett M95 is the way to go.

for mid range budget the McMillian is the top dog.

And for the top dollar 50, Accuracy International AW50 or the FN PGM Hatchet 2 can't be beat.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 1:12:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Green_Furniture:
After this weekend and the Great Southern Freedom Shoot I've been bitten by the .50 bug.

I'm really leaning toward a Ferret but I'm also looking at AR50, Barret, L.A.R. and Ultimate Accuracy.

I'm about an inch from ordering the Ferret but hesitate because i don't know much about them.

G_F,
"Arock" is a nationally ranked (I think fourth or fifth) .50 cal shooter.
I know he shoots an AR-50 and I would certainly get his advice as to why were I you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:03:51 PM EDT
Drool..
how about a windrunner...

quick take down repeating bolt action...

Yummy
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:45:16 PM EDT
C`mon.....go for it!....barrett semi.....only 7400....cash&carry......
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2002 4:46:52 PM EDT by WSAR15]
Ferret is nice, but there is no cartridge ejector (use your fingers).
Look at www.mmag.com - It's designed by Serbu (I think it's a father - son deal). Under $1000 it looks good.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:12:05 PM EDT
I don't think I have to say it, but you've got my support in buying a .50... That is, as long as I get to put some rounds through it...

I'll look at the options and present you a well thought out opinion at a later time...

Jonathan
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:40:41 PM EDT
You might want to IM or e-mail AFARR, who is a member here. He's got an AR50, the semi-auto Barret, and a State Arms. And that's just what he brought to the last shoot - who knows what else he's sitting on.

I shot his AR50 a couple times - sweeeeet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:40:03 PM EDT
If I were just getting into the .50 BMG game right now there are five rifles I'd consider. In alphabetical order...

Armalite AR50 $2400
Barrett 99 $3100
LAR Grizzly $2500
Serbu BFG $2200
State Arms Rebel $2300

Three .50 BMG uppers (for AR lowers) are available but I haven't put trigger time on any of them as yet so I'm not qualified to comment. The Ferret50 has a dedicated following. Watson's Weapons was I believe first on the market. And the Mark Serbu-designed Mag-50 is new on the market. BTW the Mag-50 website is www.mmag.biz.

Past these are custom rifles from folks like K&P and Randy Dierks. Fine rifles that you will pay for.

My choice is the Armalite AR50. It's accurate, rugged and affordable. A left-hand version is available as is a green color as well as black. Some folks say it's the most accurate out-of-the-box .50 BMG you can buy. Mine is a damn fine shooter. And you can shoot it all day without suffering.

Plan on finding somewhere to shoot longer distances when you get a .50. If you can get access to a range of at least 500 yards you'll enjoy it more. 1000 yards is really fun and then there's places you can shoot a mile or more.

If you're thinking of buying a .50 NOW is the time to move.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:47:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:48:23 PM EDT
Green,

I have been bitten by the same bug !!!!

Right now I have it narrowed down to the AR-50 or the Serbu. I shot both at the GSFS and am trying to make up my mind.

I like the Barrett but they are out of my price range...

Pros and cons:

I LOVE the lack of recoil on the AR-50. Definately a rifle you could shoot ALL day.

The combination of their muzzle brake and the fact that the rifle is damn HEAVY creates a nice shooting experience.

The weight is also a factor for portability. I would not want to hump this weapon very far at all. It is really heavy!

Also the action on the AR-50 seems to be a little "sticky". It was not as smooth as I expected.

The Serbu is a lighter rifle and would be easier to carry around. This also allows for more recoil BUT not as much as I was expecting. I did notice a difference but not much. Wonder what a Armalite brake would do....

I liked the movement of the Serbu ation over the Armalite action. Bolting the rifle took hardly any effort where I had to beat the Armalite bolt handle up and down to open and close.

Damn... I think I have made up my mind finally! heh

:::: turns rifle finding radar on ::::
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:28:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WSAR15:
Ferret is nice, but there is no cartridge ejector (use your fingers).
Look at www.mmag.com - It's designed by Serbu (I think it's a father - son deal). Under $1000 it looks good.

I have been eyeing this one too!

I may get one soon...it seems like a good deal.

Unlike other AR uppers in 50cal. you don't have to seperate the uppers to load/unload, just cycle the bolt.

www.mmag.biz/

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:55:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2002 4:48:54 AM EDT by Winston_Wolf]
... I kinda feel like a little dog running with the big ones but my entry into the low end is; believe it or not Hesse.

The machining and design work must have been farmed out because it very nicley done.

Here's a pic of Gadsen shooting mine.
Some observations:
(1) Recoil is mild, brake designed correctly.
(2) Action is tight, may need lapping.
(3) Accuracy is in the 1/2 to 1 MOA range
(4) Quality, Stock needs replacing or refinishing but action, barrel & brake on par with other quality manufacturers.
(5) Integral Picatinny rail.
(6) Price. $1099. An entry level investment that wasn't breaking the bank.

Lastly, it doesn't look as "kewl" as the AR50. Someday I hope to afford an Armalite. But, I had to get "some" kind of 50BMG in the safe!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:18:10 PM EDT
Let me say that I'm an FNG when it comes to the .50 shooting game, however the Armalite AR50L is a pleasure to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:56:40 PM EDT
I have a question. The Mag-50 advert mentions a barrel length of 22". This compares with the "short-barrelled" military Browning HMG at 36" and the old "long-barrelled" gun with 45". With such a short barrel, there must surely be a huge fall-off in velocity (and a huge increase in in muzzle blast and flash), at least if standard military ammo is fired.

So what is the effect on velocity? Are special loads used in the rifles? Is it really sensible to combine such a big case with such a short barrel, or would a smaller-capacity case (like the shortened 12.7x76 for the Spotting Rifle) work just as well?

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Military gun and ammunition discussion forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:30:38 AM EDT
Too much money for me...Guess they will always be Eye Candy
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 10:20:42 AM EDT
I am also in the same boat..After shooting an Armalite I was in heaven. Then the Barrett semi was put in my hands and WOW. Since the semi was $10,000 with the scope it's a little out of my reach. The Armalite was excellent but I do not have any real expertise with any of them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:22:09 PM EDT
I NEED one of those Armalites. I fell in love with it at BRC and havent gotten it off my mind yet. Unfortunately I cant swing it right now, but am counting overtime and holiday pay as we speak.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:43:16 PM EDT
I've had my AR-50 for a couple weeks now and really like it. You could shoot it all day, doesn't kick at all to me. I think it is a fine weapon. my .02 cents worth.
MM419
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 4:43:57 PM EDT
What you buy sort of depends on what type of .50 you want. I divide them into 3 families:

Barrels attached to an AR reciever. Dirt cheap but slow to operate because the bolt is screwed into the action. Really primitive.

Tubes,welds, and shellholders. Serbu, State Arms, Grizzly, etc. Cheap and homely but better than the barrels. They're made cheap. Most don't have extracters. You take the whole bolt out of the gun and pull the case out of the bolt face. The Barret bolt actions sort of fall in here. They're simple extrusions but good quality.

Traditional actions with real receivers and good construction. AR-50, Windrunner, AI. The AR=50 is the best value here.

The semiautos are a group to themselves. The Barrett is sort of a STEN but is semiauto. They aren't as accurate as a bolt action but are neat.

Don't just look at price. You really need to look at how the rifles are built and shoot as many as you can before you shell out.
Top Top