Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2012 6:41:11 PM EDT
I'm in NY (BOOOOOOO) for now.....

I'd love to get one of the Sterlings made by wiselight as its the iconic stormtrooper blaster and at $350.... dayum....

In any case, NY law says I can't get a new mfr pistol weighing more than 50 ounces, I'm gunna go on a limb and guess hey weigh more than that, so a carbine is the option, but with the detachable mag, and pistol grip, I can't get one with a folding stock, so the question becomes, can the stock be pinned in such a way that you would still have access to the end cap for opening it up for cleaning/maintenance/etc????

Or would pinning it open block the end cap and make it impossible to open for cleaning??

I'm thinking a simple tac weld at the joints and then between the main body of the tube and the the arm to hold it.

Any input would be great!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Welding the stock open would make it impossible to remove the rear recvr cap. Maybe if the stock pivot pin under the recvr tube were replaced with a removable bolt - so that you could remove the nut/bolt - maybe then the entire stock could do the 1/2 twist with the end-cap.(?)     Just thinking out loud...

Would NY law allow a true pre-89 pre-ban Mk6?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming the MK6 is semi auto and has at least a 16in barrel (no SBRs in NY) then I would say yes being that it'd be preban.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Assuming the MK6 is semi auto and has at least a 16in barrel (no SBRs in NY) then I would say yes being that it'd be preban.

If true that they're legally allowed in NY; then they're out there for sale - look hard. There were about 1600 imported, so these aren't as hard to find as a GIAT FAMAS.

That way you can have your Dagenham Mk6, plus folding stock, plus the sweet 34rd roller mags.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Wowser, a guy on the EE has one for almost $2K.  I think I'll just move out of NY :laugh:

Thanks for the heads up though, I didn't know they even existed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought one last weekend.  Haven't shot it yet.  But the collapsable stock locks into the end cap.  If you welded the stock out, you would need to figure out a way to do it to the rifle body.  Perhaps a simple spacer?  But this would also make it difficult to get a grip on the end-cap to turn it to remove it.. I'd say it's possible but would ruin the character of the carbine.   I've been thinking of designing a slide fire stock for mine.. Now that would be awesome!

mine was 425 and came with 2 roller bearing sterling mags. I heard cudos about these and loaded them, they are amazing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, the back end-cap is the only way "into" the gun. You would have to fashion the stock so that it becomes a part of the push-squeeze-half-twist process - or doesn't lock into the end-cap at all, in which it would be a PITA to get a grip on the cap for the push-squeeze-half-twist process.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Cut the stock down where it meets the lock on the cap, and relieve it enough so you can twist the cap and rotate it with the stock fixed. Weld arms of stock to tube. If you ever get to a free state you can just cut the welds.

Another idea is to buy a surplus end cap, and have the stock locking bracket ground off.

IT should clear. Then when you move you can replace the cap, and cut the welds.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like it might be tricky but be doable.  Biggest issue now is finding a dealer that won't rape me on the work as they obviously can't turn it over to me to do myself.

its like the Sig 522.  I want one, but pinning a comp, and adding a fixed stock adds up so quick...
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
They sell a SIG522 with a gigantic fixed suppressor-looking barrel. And I'm pretty sure SIG sells 556s with fixed-butts - maybe you can snag one that can be swapped in.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The target model runs another $200 and still has the folder.

The comp pinning isn't a huge deal. and DDLES makes a side folding adaptor that I can use(takes a roll pin to pin it from folding) but its one of those things that just adds up...

522 - $450
pinning - $50
DDLES adaptor - $85
Ace Stock - $65

what is that?  $650?

and knowing the gun shop they won't give me anything for the factory stock but also wont release it to me to sell.

I work with the gun smith's brother in law so maybe I can get a little discount on the pinning, but if i show up with the stock adaptor and stock they will likely also charge me to install it...

Side note, I think I just hijacked my own thread LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top