Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2011 3:31:35 AM EDT
So I'm very tempted to build a pseudo scout.   A lighter round, maybe for one of my kids when they grow up or my wife.  
But I have a few questions.    
I want to make this cut weight, how much would a stainless with synthetic stock weigh?  
Would it be a bad idea to have the barrel short as possible?   I was thinking 14 " bArrell with a perm flash hider.    Think this would effect anything, really only thinking about a 200 to 300 yard gun.   What kind of accuracy could I expect? (even if I have to mod to get better).
Is there a forward scope mount that's not bulky?  I don't want a quad rail.    
Thanks for any help in advanced!

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 8:26:38 AM EDT
~14" with a perm'd hider is almost AC556K length. They were factory 13" with hider, iirc.

I'd think you'd be better off going with a 16" Tactical model; at least then you could strut it.

As far as rails go, I can't say much; my Ranch isn't set up scout-style. I keep my rails over the receiver. The Amega for the 580-series is like 8oz, I know. Don't remember how much the Ultimak is.

Either way, you can pretty much forget about any kind of co-wtiness with your optic; sights on the mini are too dang low for that jazz. So if you're worried about your optic taking a crap on you, might want to invest in a QD mount.

Stainless Mini-14/20 with synth stock is 6.75 pounds, according to the Ruger site. They don't make a 16" Tac in stainless, but it don't much matter since they weigh the same as the 18" ones anyway. Little handier maybe.

That Ranch of mine will shoot minute-of-bad-dude out to about 275 yds, after that I'm not 100% sure I could tag a bad guy on the first shot. Definitely gonna want to strut it though; at 100 yds she'll string a 20-rounder out over 8 inches up and right. I understand the shorter Tactical models don't string nearly that bad, plus the hider helps some too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 11:32:15 AM EDT
I have one of the new ranch rifles and sunday I was shooting with iron sight at a b-27 police target and managed to put a 20 round mag into a 4 inch circle with cheap cabelas 62 grain herters ammo . I can garranty the barrel was heated up when i was shooting. yes I was shooting off the bench with a bag. personally I would not cut the barrel on a tac model or for what its worth the ranch model either . I dont think it will take much work to make one of these new models hit center of mass at 300 yds . I would invest in ammo and magazines.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 12:44:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:04:25 AM EDT
I was thinking about a 10/22 scout, for practice and and appleseed competitions.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 12:12:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 12:04:31 PM EDT
Here's my 181 series Mini-14 that I had the barrel shortened to 16" with the factory winged front sight from a 185 series mini and added a Ultimak handguard .  The optic is a 30mm Ultradot.  Stock is a Hogue Ghillie tan and the suppressor is an early Smith Vortex.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 11:07:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By blfuller:
Here's my 181 series Mini-14 that I had the barrel shortened to 16" with the factory winged front sight from a 185 series mini and added a Ultimak handguard .  The optic is a 30mm Ultradot.  Stock is a Hogue Ghillie tan and the suppressor is an early Smith Vortex.
http://blfuller.ptera.net/mini_lores.jpg

Nice rifle man!  Exactly what I wanna do.  Although I might add a Ching sling.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 12:04:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:28:04 AM EDT
I have to report that I haven't had that problem with my Specter Gear sling, but I imagine that's because I'm using a Mini-specific sling on a Mini.

Only problem with my sling, in fact, is you can't go cross-shoulder with it without those funky buckles, and even then it's kind of awkward. There just doesn't seem to be a really good way to do it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:33:40 AM EDT
I would like to "Scout" a Mini-30...that would be a handy little feller...legal for hunting too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:50:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2011 9:01:40 AM EDT by GB243]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
I would like to "Scout" a Mini-30...that would be a handy little feller...legal for hunting too.

I see Ultimak now has a model for the "new" production mini's . I wouldn't mind a 6.8 if ruger would revise their chamber and twist .

ETA- Also , Tech-sights has an all steel rear sight for the new mini's and old Ranch's.

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 9:43:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GB243:

I see Ultimak now has a model for the "new" production mini's . I wouldn't mind a 6.8 if ruger would revise their chamber and twist .

ETA- Also , Tech-sights has an all steel rear sight for the new mini's and old Ranch's.

Sweet...I will have to look that up.

A 6.8 would be a could little Mini-27!

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:02:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2011 12:03:02 PM EDT by blfuller]
Originally Posted By raf:  
If Ruger, or some other vendor made 10-rd mags for the Mini, maybe they could work in conjunction with a ching sling.

Absent totally reliable 10-rd mags, it is one or the other.  Again, I have tried it.

Ask and ye shall receive...
RUGER FACTORY 10 ROUND MAGAZINES

These work perfectly.

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:10:36 PM EDT

Just take this...

and add this...

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:41:03 PM EDT

Just take this...

http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/images/5854.jpg

and add this...

http://www.ultimak.com/products/m4-Sinst.jpg

Sir, I am currently making a list to make this happen.

I once had a Mini-14 Stainless Ranch Rifle that came with a factory Salt and Pepper laminate stock.

I have never seen another one like it (I traded it off for a Ruger Old Army ), and now I want a Mini-30 Scout.

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2011 5:19:07 PM EDT by Gunsby_Blazen]
From what I have gathered, there are two companies that make scout mounts for the mini platform.
I have known about the Ultimak for quite some time and believe it is the superior product because of their track record and because the mounting platform is lower and closer to bore.  

The other mount is the Amega Mount which I have known about for a while but is less popular than the Ultimak and for some reason I do not like as much, it may be its finish is a bit shiner than the flat black/parkerized look of the Ultimak.  Something has given me the impression that the Amega is of lower quality than the Ulitmak.
That being said, I have no justification for my bias in opinion due to the fact that I have only handled Ultimak rials.  GunDoc uses both on his builds so they must be quality products.

One thing that separates the Amega from the Ultimak is that the Amega can be used on ANY mini from the thinner barrels to the beefy factory target barrel.  The other advantage of the Amega is that they offer a kit to mount a light  on either side of the mount via picatinny add-ons.  One other difference is that the Amega also has a lip that extends slightly over the slide to protect your fingers to fill the role of the current Ruger factory handguard, yet the slide is still exposed for what I assume is ascetics. The Ultimak leaves this exposed in the tradition of our classic military rifles (and probably for weight too....).
The major drawback of the Amega rail is that is bulkier than the Ultimak as you can see from the pictures on their website.
I know that the Ultimak rail is good but am not sure about the Amega; it may be due to the popularity of the Ultimak which leads me to prefer them over the Amega.  Maybe someone else knows more about them.   The Amega is also featured on shopruger.com and is branded with the Ruger emblem and name if you are looking for something that is branded.

Ultimak

Amega

Amega's light mount

(these pictures were taken from the each company's' website)
Links:
Ultimak Mini-14 mounts (as mentioned above in previous posts)

Amega Mounts, their website is pretty informative and do an okay job at describing the accessories for their rail system, i wish they were explicit as to the angle for which the light rail mounts to the rial system.

more info on Amiga's light mount, if this interests you
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2011 7:45:22 PM EDT by blfuller]
I personally did not buy the Amega Ranges mount because of the huge gap between the forearm and the mount, it also sat up higher.  Aside from that they are pretty comperable with the exception of the finish.  The Amega is anodized and the Ultimak is hard anodized which is a much more durable finish.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:12:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2011 8:14:11 PM EDT by Gunsby_Blazen]
I personally did not buy the Amega Ranges mount because of the huge gap between the forearm and the mount, it also sat up higher.  Aside from that they are pretty comperable with the exception of the finish.  The Amega is anodized and the Ultimak is hard anodized which is a much more durable finish.

thats it!
i knew there was something i liked about the Ultimak over the Amega....
i remember now...

good point!

and by the way, your gun looks great,  the way that stock looks is perfect on that thing.
i think i am going to do something very similar...
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:19:56 PM EDT
How about a Ruger 77/357

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 6:25:57 PM EDT

That'd be a different kind of "mini" scout right there .

I'm probably a rare person to consider it .

I'd cut the bbl to 15" and add a 9mm flash suppressor perm attached . Timney trigger . Reprofile the bbl to fit a scout rail and T1 or H1 dot . Rear peep attached via rear scope mount . Cut the length of pull by a an inch and a half.

For ammo I'd pull the bullets on some Buffalo Bore and swap them with some Barnes .

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 5:43:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GB243:

That'd be a different kind of "mini" scout right there .

I'm probably a rare person to consider it .

I'd cut the bbl to 15" and add a 9mm flash suppressor perm attached . Timney trigger . Reprofile the bbl to fit a scout rail and T1 or H1 dot . Rear peep attached via rear scope mount . Cut the length of pull by a an inch and a half.

For ammo I'd pull the bullets on some Buffalo Bore and swap them with some Barnes .

There's a thread on that gun on the scout forums, it would be a great little cub scout, cheap to practice with to when shooting 38spc   I'd rather see them use a single stack mag though.  A DE mag would have been great. Buy seems like a fun gun

I have the gun site scout, love it, but I want to addapt the scout platform into a semi auto shtf type assult rifle.  When 10 slower rounds of 308 won't due.  Maybe even a scout to throw my wife, trying to convince her a hello kitty ar isn't the way to go

Thanks for all the input.    I might be having a trade with a fellow board member to get a mini (even comes with a extra pink and black stock)

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:12:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:01:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bigdude408:

There's a thread on that gun on the scout forums, it would be a great little cub scout, cheap to practice with to when shooting 38spc   I'd rather see them use a single stack mag though.  A DE mag would have been great. Buy seems like a fun gun

I have the gun site scout, love it, but I want to addapt the scout platform into a semi auto shtf type assult rifle.  When 10 slower rounds of 308 won't due.  Maybe even a scout to throw my wife, trying to convince her a hello kitty ar isn't the way to go

Thanks for all the input.    I might be having a trade with a fellow board member to get a mini (even comes with a extra pink and black stock)

I have a Ruger GSR and an AR-10.  I've had the AR-10 for a while, but just recently overhauled it into the configuration I wanted.  It's an Armalite, with a slick side upper, an M4 profile (???) 16inch barrel with a Troy TRX handguard.  Wit the scope it's over 10 pounds unloaded. I don't see a lot of room for weight reduction and that is what makes the Ruger GSR so attractive.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2011 7:22:47 PM EDT by bigdude408]
Ok so I bit, hook line and sinker! I have a trade pending on the ee for a 580 series mini 14 ranch rifle.    Roots are sunk in so no backing out now.  What did I get my self into?     I've always wanted a mini so I'm defenetly psyched!   Now I'm ready to start planning my mods.   It did come with some extras, none if witch I know the first thing about.      A ramline synthetic stock  and a masen flash hider.  The stock, well is pink ( it actually got me the ok from the wife) little does she know there is duracoat allready ordered
The masen looks cool but I imagine I'm going to thread the barrel and go a more secure rout.  Plus some 20 rounders and a 5.  
I'm going to have to figure out another sling favorite or get some of those 10 round mags.  

Can I put the stabilizer strut on this model? It does look like ultimak does make a rail for this.

I know I'm counting my money before the cards are delt, so don't worrie I'll shoot with irons and make sure its reliable and learn my rifle before I spend more cash.  

I also wanna thank this sub topic forum, it made me finally get off my ass and get a mini.    Converted me, I think I'm a complete ruger fan boy now. ( even though I'm trading off my lcr in the deal)
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:38:26 PM EDT
It looks like Gunblast did a write up on the "strut" and trigger job by "gundoc" that netted a 2 moa avg on a 580 series .

I found this while doing a google on " mini garand " earlier .
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 2:36:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2011 2:37:59 PM EDT by coyotebait]
Originally Posted By bigdude408:
So I'm very tempted to build a pseudo scout.   A lighter round, maybe for one of my kids when they grow up or my wife.  
But I have a few questions.    
I want to make this cut weight, how much would a stainless with synthetic stock weigh?  
Would it be a bad idea to have the barrel short as possible?   I was thinking 14 " bArrell with a perm flash hider.    Think this would effect anything, really only thinking about a 200 to 300 yard gun.   What kind of accuracy could I expect? (even if I have to mod to get better).
Is there a forward scope mount that's not bulky?  I don't want a quad rail.    
Thanks for any help in advanced!

I have the Amega scout mount with Bushnell a red dot.  These are the only pics I have of it. Sorry, I'm not a photographer.

" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:15:26 AM EDT
Did anyone ever try to co witness a aimpoint using the ultimak rail?  If that's possible I'm going with ultimak, I'f not then I'm going with the other so I can mount a light easier. I would mount one to the accu strut I plan on purchasing but I want that real-estate for a bipod.  Now just to  pick up the rifle Friday and shoot the piss out of it.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:20:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2011 11:24:38 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:50:24 PM EDT
Agreed on the qd rings!  Cowitness is a nifty thing, and I heard the aimpoint micro does and maybe another aimpoint.  But Those were story's on other forums, no one who actually had it.   I plan on using tech sights, maybe I could work something out.  Good point on the bipod.  Defenetly not something I would keep on I do want the weapon light.  But my scout rifles play multiple rolls. A light scout, or cub scout like this one will me used for Varmit hunting and it would be nice to have a bipod for that.  
I never thought that it might change point of aim being mounted on the accustrut.
Top Top