Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2002 9:23:33 AM EDT
I have a relatively humid basement. I have done some exterior work around the foundation down to the footings and it has removed the "water in the basement" problem but it is still humid in the summer. I want to get a gun safe and the only location must be in the basement. I plan to pore a elevated concrete pad and then bolt down the safe. I always have a dehumidifier running in the basement during the summer.  During the heating season the furnace keeps the humidity down by itself. Will a Golden Rod in the safe eliminate any problem, or should I take further preventative measures?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think a dehumidifier and a golden rod would suffice. That's what I use. You could also get some of those industrial size bags of dissectant to throw into the safe.
I get some really large bags of it from time to time when I unpack new equipment at work. Take it home, throw into a low oven for an hour or two and it's good to go.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely! Invest in a dehumidifier! Even in my father's relatively dry basement, my little bro's old 22 has mildew all over it! Now I have to clean it!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Dehumidifier and Golden Rod combination works well for me in this damp hole of a basement.
MM419
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
so how about 2 rifles leaned up in the corner of a bedroom in the rainy Pacific NW? Im working on getting gun safe, but being 17 still everything is up to my parents and they say no for now. Ive got one in a nylon rifle case. Should i get a golden rod or some of those dissectant packets?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's what I'm doing...I'm in the process of finishing my basement and to get rid of the humidity I'm installing a dehumidifier.  The furnace will also help out in reducing the moisture.

The cool trick here is that I'm tapping the drain into the discharge PVC that also services the washer/dryer.  That way I'll never have to touch it.

Automate it!  This might be a generic idea but I thought it up the other day.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dehumidifier and Golden Rod combination works well for me in this damp hole of a basement.
MM419

DITTO!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
so how about 2 rifles leaned up in the corner of a bedroom in the rainy Pacific NW? Im working on getting gun safe, but being 17 still everything is up to my parents and they say no for now. Ive got one in a nylon rifle case. Should i get a golden rod or some of those dissectant packets?

I'd recommend you keep them leaned up in the corner. If you keep them in a case very long you'll be sorry....cases trap moisture.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Just curious - what's considered the acceptable humidity level in a safe?  I just got one of those cheapie digital thermometer that also measures humidity and stuck it in my safe.  Using a goldenrod, temp is abou 78F w/ 34% humidity.  That sound about OK?

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, where I am is pretty dry, so I don't worry too much about my rifles.

I will say tho, if you store a rifle in a case with that 'egg crate' foam, DO put in a packet of dessicant!  From what I hear, that egg crate foam will not absorb moisture, leaving it in the air, which will of course be in your rifle.  A small dessicant pack like from a new pair of shoes should work fine for months in a rifle case.

Not sure about the soft cases, but throw one in those ones too.  Better to side with caution.  :)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top