Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2001 12:10:49 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I've been reading on this board for the last few weeks and have become interested in purchasing an ar15. I have a rather silly question about whether or not I can "legally" buy one. My local gun shop has a large selection of them. I know that I am supposed to buy one from a ffl dealer. I am going to purchase a bushmaster carbine for plinking and a bushmaster varminter rifle for hunting coyotes. Is there anything that I need to consider to buy? I have read quite a bit about the 2 stage triggers. Is this something that is a straight forward install or does it need to be done buy a gun smith? Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

-lee-
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

I've been reading on this board for the last few weeks and have become interested in purchasing an ar15. I have a rather silly question about whether or not I can "legally" buy one. My local gun shop has a large selection of them. I know that I am supposed to buy one from a ffl dealer. I am going to purchase a bushmaster carbine for plinking and a bushmaster varminter rifle for hunting coyotes. Is there anything that I need to consider to buy? I have read quite a bit about the 2 stage triggers. Is this something that is a straight forward install or does it need to be done buy a gun smith? Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

-lee-

Answer to one of your questions:
1) As long as you can legally buy one from your local FFL then you can buy one on here... if it is from another state than where you live then it must be transferred to you through a local FFL who will perform the background check before you take possession.

As for the other questions I don't really know. I have 3 M4 carbines so I don't know anything about the varminters or 2 stage triggers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bushmaster Varminter comes with the 2 stage trigger from the factory.

I have a Bushamster 20" A2 configured AR and I love it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
As others have said, if you can legally buy a gun, you can buy an AR-15, the law makes no distinction.

Guns & Ammo on Summer Ave. has a pretty good selection and about the best prices around.

I suggest buying the Varminter first.  I wouldn't even bother with a carbine for plinking.  Besides, the strength of the AR system lies in the interchangeable uppers.  You can always buy a different upper later (they are available mail-order, and require no FFL) if the varminter upper isn't doing the job.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys. I really don't know if I totally understand the buying and interchangeability of all of these uppers and lowers. I am a little apprehensive to go about buying uppers and lowers and not sure of what I am gonna end up with. Thanks.

-lee-
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#6]
go to www.bushmaster.com they have a whole FAQ on ar's.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help guys. I really don't know if I totally understand the buying and interchangeability of all of these uppers and lowers. I am a little apprehensive to go about buying uppers and lowers and not sure of what I am gonna end up with. Thanks.

-lee-

Get a complete gun first. After you have broken it down to clean a few time, you'll see how easily it would be to interchange uppers and lowers.   Many people start with a 20 inch barreled AR then get a 16 inch lower once they have learned to use the peep sites.  Buy the AR and you'll see what I mean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top