Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 8:32:29 AM EDT
Ever since I bought the 10/22, I have been using lead rounds and Hoppes #9 bore solvent.

I just picked up some of those Wally World Federal bulk packs, which are "copper plated" or whatever.  Do I need to change my cleaning routines or do anything before the switch?

What grain ammo do I want to use with the 10/22 for like 50yd target shooting, or plinking.  10/22's have a 1/12 twist right?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
No need to do anything to switch to the Fed Walmart Bulks. In fact, these burn so clean that I often use them AS a bore cleaner after shooting lots of dirty lead bullets in one of my .22s.

The Fed Bulks are very reliable and clean, but not especially accurate.

Standard .22 twist is 1:16. Most .22 ammo you buy will be between 36 and 40 grains, and the 1:16 twist handles these all just fine.

The rule for finding good .22 ammo for plinking, practice, and paper punching is: Start with the CHEAPEST ammo you can get (unless that's Remington Thunderbolts, which you want to stay away from) and work your way up in price, stopping when you hit the level of accuracy you think is worth the price you're paying. This might come very far down the line, or very far up.

If your Walmart carries Winchester Dynapoints in .22LR, give those a try--they're very accurate in all my guns. Some Kmarts have them, too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No need to do anything to switch to the Fed Walmart Bulks. In fact, these burn so clean that I often use them AS a bore cleaner after shooting lots of dirty lead bullets in one of my .22s.

Standard .22 twist is 1:16. Most .22 ammo you buy will be between 36 and 40 grains, and the 1:16 twist handles these all just fine.

The rule for finding good .22 ammo for plinking, practice, and paper punching is: Start with the CHEAPEST ammo you can get (unless that's Remington Thunderbolts, which you want to stay away from) and work your way up in price, stopping when you hit the level of accuracy you think is worth the price you're paying. This might come very far down the line, or very far up.

If your Walmart carries Winchester Dynapoints in .22LR, give those a try--they're very accurate in all my guns. Some Kmarts have them, too.

really? why's that? i swear i've used them in my gun before (we've got several brands of .22 lying around) and everything has worked 100% for me. or is it that they burn less clean? if there's anything i know you should stay away from, it's Juniors. Russian .22lr, terrible stuff. we got a freebie case of it, and all the rounds are covered in...oil or grease or something like that. just plain nasty. got so bad the gun wouldnt even cycle!

i'd say go for the bulk federal stuff...it's the cheapest ive seen and works great!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Rem Thunderbolts seem to have a filler added to the powder that doesn't burn, leaving something the consistency of sand in your action.  I hate them.

I stopped using #9 long ago because my wife complained of the fumes and wouldn't let me clean guns in the house.  MPRO-7 does a better job, non toxic, no odor.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Avoid PMC Side Winders, they won't feed in my 10/22.  I really like Wild Cats Federal Bulk Packs and Blazer plinking.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really? why's that? i swear i've used them in my gun before (we've got several brands of .22 lying around) and everything has worked 100% for me. or is it that they burn less clean? if there's anything i know you should stay away from, it's Juniors. Russian .22lr, terrible stuff. we got a freebie case of it, and all the rounds are covered in...oil or grease or something like that. just plain nasty. got so bad the gun wouldnt even cycle!

i'd say go for the bulk federal stuff...it's the cheapest ive seen and works great!

I've used Thunderbolts alot.  Range ammo that they give me.  I get the occasional jam here and there, but for the most part, they shoot well.  They throw the bolt back a little harder due to the increased velocity, but has never given me problems.  My buddy uses it and had a couple fail to fires.  None for me yet though.

As far as clean, I haven't paid much attention compared to other ammo, but I'll take your words for it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
CCI mini mags are all i ever use, but not the HP's..
Reliable, and fairly accurate.. a lil more expensive than most, but still under 4 cents a pop..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Rem Thunderbolts seem to have a filler added to the powder that doesn't burn, leaving something the consistency of sand in your action.  I hate them.

I stopped using #9 long ago because my wife complained of the fumes and wouldn't let me clean guns in the house.  MPRO-7 does a better job, non toxic, no odor.

Must be a gender thing.  My sons love the smell, my wife and daughter can't stand it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be a gender thing.  My sons love the smell, my wife and daughter can't stand it.

Hahaha.  Hoppes isn't a bad smell.  It's Breakfree CLP that smells like shit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

good advice!  

Alot of the bulk stuff is hit or miss.  You can't expect 100% all the time from ammo that is this cheap.  
It's a mass produced item, you're bound to have a dud every so often.  
I have real good luck with CCI Blazers & CCI Standard Velocity.  

Really the only thing you have to change with switching between ammo is your zero on the scope.
POI will be different with standard & high velocity.  My scope has a mill-dot reticle w/ pointy "fence-post" lines where the crosshairs get thicker.  Makes it a breeze when shooting @ 100 and changing ammo.  Allows for an accurate hold over.    
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
i have had great accuracy and reliability with federal champions
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#11]
the only thing iv had a problem with is federal lightning
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody using aguila SSS in your 10/22?  If so what kind of accuracy are you getting?

Thanks...

Just so I contribute something and not just ask questions.  My 10/22 loves CCI velocitors I can get real nice groups(for me) off-hand at 50 yards.  I use quik shocks too but those don't seem to group as tight.  I know these aren't match rounds or even meant to be exceptionally accurate, but I like what they do to little animals so thats all I shoot.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hahaha.  Hoppes isn't a bad smell.  It's Breakfree CLP that smells like shit.

Are you using the spray can or the bottle?

I used to use the spray but didn't like the smell. It's not a BAD smell per se but if any gets on your hands you can still smell it 3 or 4 days later and like a bad song that gets stuck in your head, after a while you just REALLY get tired of it.

I found the little squeeze bottle of CLP doesn't have this property. I've been using it for about 2 years now with no smell issues at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top