Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 12:02:19 PM EDT
Ok, for the better part of my 'shooting career' I've always had "issued" equipment.  As a sniper I usually always had the best stuff the Army or my LE dept could buy.  My absolute favorite setup (and you'll have a hard time convincing it's not the best) was my AI 308 with Nightforce NXS scope.

Now that I'm buying some glass on my own dime I realized that not only is that NF shit expensive! but I've never shot anything other than Leupy or NF.

I'm sure there are some good mid-priced optics out there but I never took the time to look into them.

I'm about to put glass on three rigs.....

An AR10 with 18" barrel and can.....Most likely won't ever shoot past 600 on this so I'm thinking mag up to 14x should do.  I'm leaning towards a Leupy Mark 4 but that's just because I trust the Leupold name and don't have the cash for a NF.  (we have a 56mm NF on a Stoner 25 at work so I know with the right rings a large OL will work)

an AR15 with 24" varmint barrel.....it's a varmint rig so it's self explainatory with what I need on this.

and lastly an AR15 chambered in .300 fireball.  This is my new hunting gun....goodbye bolt guns.  Because of the limitation of the subsonic .300 rounds and the fact that even when I'm using supersonic it will be for hunting max distance will really be 250 yards.  I'm thinking a 1-4x 24mm or something similar.  I also saw a 2-7x33mm that looked pretty good.  I think I may be leaning towards the accupoint scope because of the illuminated reticle and the purpose behind this gun.  A good quick aiming point on a pig running across the brush would be nice.

So what brands out there are good for the money.  I'm not "saving lives" with these rifles so it's not like I have to drop $1700 or more on a scope!

I'd like to keep the budget in mind.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2009 12:12:39 PM EDT by BB]
Burris makes good glass. So does Nikon.
Below that price point, look at the SWFA/Tasco Super Sniper line, and the Falcon Menace line. The Menace line is actually has some really good options like FFP reticles.
Above that, IOR makes stunning optics; really exceptional. I also like the Zeiss Conquest scopes; they are nice but simple.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:39:35 AM EDT
The Accupoints are generally regarded as providing a pretty good "bang" for the buck.  Be forewarned tho- if you get the chevron reticle, the thick black post (which I understand houses the fiber optic to illuminate the chevron) is quite thick and makes holdover frustrating.  At least it did for me, and that's part of the reason why I no longer have it.  I would recommend going with one of the newer reticle options.  

But really, you're kidding yourself.  Go to walmart and grab a $15 paintball red dot, it'll do ya fine
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:19:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:37:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BB:
Burris makes good glass. So does Nikon.
Below that price point, look at the SWFA/Tasco Super Sniper line, and the Falcon Menace line. The Menace line is actually has some really good options like FFP reticles.
Above that, IOR makes stunning optics; really exceptional. I also like the Zeiss Conquest scopes; they are nice but simple.

Nikon Prostaff is hard to beat for the money.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:55:42 PM EDT
Super Sniper from SWFA.

I have a 20x on my AR50, a 10x on each precision AR10s (three of them),  a 10x on my 110FP, and a 10x on my M15A4.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:54:08 AM EDT
For your 1-4x24 (ish) sized, illuminated optic......have you looked at the Leupold 1.5-5x20mm VX-3?  They have one in an illuminated circle dot which runs just under $600.  A leupy insider told me the glass is the same as the Mark IVs use and is essentially the same scope as the Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm....just different turrets and a different reticle.....but I sorta improve the circle dot for a shorter range scope. The VX-3 is $300 less than the Mark 4....but it has a gold ring and Leupold emblem on the side instead of the while Leupold lettering on the Mark 4.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-14275-2736-leupold-15-5x20-vx-3-30mm-riflescope.aspx

HTH,
Sean
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2009 8:59:04 PM EDT by desertmoon]
Man...once your spoiled on good optics it is REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hard to go back.

Try your hardest to stick with the best you can buy....even if you have to pimp youself out to an older nurse on the weekends.

The personal thing that I prefer with Leupold among other hi end brands ( even some that are better than Leupold ) is their generous eye relief.....it really helps me set up the optics to gain an "easy" picture when transitioning from one position to another.  Scopes with narrower eye relief tend to have to be set up to favor one position over the rest, such as bench over prone, prone over sitting, etc.  For me, at least, I can set up many of Leupold's optics in a fashion that allows me a comfortabel sight picture regardless of my shooting position.
Top Top