Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 12:25:32 AM EDT
hi,

Of these weapon systems which would be the most reliable. I would like to know in the field under combat conditions which rifle do you think would be the most durable and reliable.I think the FAL is number one, but please give me your thoughts on this ,Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I suspect FAL, because you can change the gas port size.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#2]
HI,

I am not trying to start trouble with this post. I think all the weapons that I mention are very good, but one must be more reliable than the others. This is what I am trying to find out. I have heard that the M-14 is very reliable, but from all the data I've read the FAL seems to be better. I think the M-14 is more accurate than the FAL but not anything that matters in a combate situation.Can people here who have exsperience tell me if this is right or wrong. Thanks you for time and help. Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
HI,

I am not trying to start trouble with this post. I think all the weapons that I mention are very good, but one must be more reliable than the others. This is what I am trying to find out. I have heard that the M-14 is very reliable, but from all the data I've read the FAL seems to be better. I think the M-14 is more accurate than the FAL but not anything that matters in a combate situation.Can people here who have exsperience tell me if this is right or wrong. Thanks you for time and help. Thanks,Kev

Ahhhh Kev, I thought we had this issued resolved. Forget the AR-15, not trying to start trouble either but if you are looking for reliability in the most adverse conditions, you would be better served with a mini-14 than an AR if you ask me. The M1A, a fine rifle but take note on how fast they were taken out of service. Many M1A's are in the field in Iraq now though as the M-16's are just not cutting the mustard. I'm not a big fan of the 5.56 round so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask. The pick between the FAL and an M1A is a tough one, both outstanding rifles but if I were asked which one rifle I would want in the absolute worst conditions on earth it would be a FAL. Over 90 countries, hundereds of wars and 5 deacades cannot be wrong. The FAL has seen a thousand times more combat action than the M1A, there is no disputing that. I say go to your local dealer, handle an M1A and a FAL. Most old timers will instantly opt for the M1A but it is really up to your personal preference. Let's hope you don't need to put either to test.
I'd go FAL no questions asked.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#4]
COUGH COUGH *AK74* COUGH COUGH!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Both are great guns.... but yeah I would have to say  the best reliable rifle is in fact the

AK74

it has a good practical range and the round is very effective for a 5.45/5.56 caliber round. Its accuracy is good enough for goverment work...

did I just say that...

Don't get me wrong I owned four M1As (now I have three), plus a M1 Grand and I have a FAL but if push came to shove for real life everyday use 9 times out of 10 I would chose an AK variant. The AK has opposed the FAL alot all over the world too. Hands down the AK is undoubtedly the most reliable weapon ever made.

BTY that's the next item on my list.....
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If Johnny Taliban can work an AK...it's gotta be reliable.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Why chime in with the ak? He's given you the three he's interested in and asked which is more reliable. The ak ain't one of the choices. My vote is for the FAL as well. For lots of reasons. Plenty of cheap spare parts, simple design, cheap mags, adjustable gas port.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I renently got an DSA STG58 FAL and now I own all of the weapons in question and if I had to choose the most battle proof for combat conditions I would pick the FAL for all the reasons Bullet just mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why chime in with the ak? He's given you the three he's interested in and asked which is more reliable. The ak ain't one of the choices. My vote is for the FAL as well. For lots of reasons. Plenty of cheap spare parts, simple design, cheap mags, adjustable gas port.

Yeah, I don't think kev was asking about an AK. Sure, you can let the bolt rust shut and kick it open with your boot and shoot a thousand rounds through it after dunking it in maple syrup but you can't hit the left side of a barn with one. Go with the FAL Kev.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If you can't hit the side of a barn with a 74 you have no business handling a firearm, period...

Of the three mentioned, FAL... but if you are going to have one proven military designed rifle, a 74 hands down...  By the way, I own three ARs, a CETME, L1A1, M14, 47, 74, 5,45 Krink, SKSs...  If I had to head into harms way with just one of those, the 74 wins hands down.  Take the information and consider it, discard it... but you can't have too much insight when making a decision... even if you end up going in the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#11]
good point on the AK.

FAL then.  Definately.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you can't hit the side of a barn with a 74 you have no business handling a firearm, period...

Of the three mentioned, FAL... but if you are going to have one proven military designed rifle, a 74 hands down...  By the way, I own three ARs, a CETME, L1A1, M14, 47, 74, 5,45 Krink, SKSs...  If I had to head into harms way with just one of those, the 74 wins hands down.  Take the information and consider it, discard it... but you can't have too much insight when making a decision... even if you end up going in the opposite direction.

Relax my friend. First of all nobody asked for an opinion on any AK variant here, this guy is looking to spend some real money, not $300. The fact is AK's of any type are over-hyped. I have shot them many, many times and to be honest their accuracy is laughable and the fact that you seem to find them so accurate leads me to believe that you in-fact sir are the one who should never handle a firearm. The truth about the wonderful AK47 is that they were made to kill Americans and all other freedom loving people world-wide. I dislike them for several reasons they are Communist guns, I was raised to  resist all things Communist perhaps you were not. They are stamped out of foreign sheet metal and my family has spent signifigant time in the military being shot at by clowns in sandals and their AK's. I'm sorry but they are far from what I would describe as an accurate weapon. I would hate to be some third world terrorist with an AK facing off with a Marine and an M1A or a Brazilian with an Imbel at 300 yds. See my point? The FAL exceeds the AK on any level for that matter so does an M1A and AR15's and I am no AR fan either. Sorry my off-cuff comment upset you so much, didn't mean to insult your rifles but again, nobody asked for an AK review.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:01:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

And just because a Honda Civic may be more reliable, I aint gonna get rid of my big old Chevy pick-up for it. That Civic may get you fifty miles to the gallon but if it's in the mud with my Chevy, it's dead.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Kind of OT, but here's some interesting reading...

www.isayeret.com/weapons/assault/m16vsak47.htm

BTW, my SHTF weapon is an FAL carbine...AK reliability and AR accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#15]
HI,

PATRIOT 73, you are exactly right we did . This is why I am telling everyone I do not remember posting this and think someone is playing games. I saw another topic on another foum posted by so called me and I know I did not post it either.I am going to keep track of every post. PATRIOT does't it seem strange I would post this question when like you said we thought we had this issued resolved.I think a jackass is playing games. I will keep watch of everything I post. By the way why the hell would I say the FAL is number one, I only own a AR15, which I like a lot. I would like and will get a FAL, but do not even own one THANKS, KEV
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
HI,

PATRIOT 73, you are exactly right we did . This is why I am telling everyone I do not remember posting this and think someone is playing games. I saw another topic on another foum posted by so called me and I know I did not post it either.I am going to keep track of every post. PATRIOT does't it seem strange I would post this question when like you said we thought we had this issued resolved.I think a jackass is playing games. I will keep watch of everything I post. By the way why the hell would I say the FAL is number one, I only own a AR15, which I like a lot. I would like and will get a FAL, but do not even own one THANKS, KEV

That's weird.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
HI,

Kinda makes me nervous too, if people have your user name and are using it, who knows what else they will type in your name here. Think I won't be back here. Too bad.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HI,

Kinda makes me nervous too, if people have your user name and are using it, who knows what else they will type in your name here. Think I won't be back here. Too bad.

Gotta love the internet!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#19]
First, I said 74, not 47... if you don;t know the difference why don;t you look it up before proving what an ignorant fool you are.

Second, you forget that many of the people who fielded the AK never more ill will against the United States, many of them are in fact our allies.  In the recent war on Iraq they stood by our side while our Western European allies fucked us over...  Yeah, the good old Germans and French...  And where was the rest of Nato?  I mean other than the recent Euopean members like Poland who was there for us.

So tell you what pal, I own all three of these rifles plus a bunch of AKs and I'm telling you in my opinion that AK74 is the most reliable, durable and accurate rifle combination.

Replace the shitty rear sight with a peep sight and you have near AR accuracy - the 5.45x39 round closely approximates the 5.56 in performance and is more than adequate for man sized targets out to 300 yards.  Beyond 300 yards you don't need to engage, you can fall back.  Ammo, mags, parts and the weapon itself are plentiful and cheap.  You can carry far more ammo for a 5.45 than you can a .308.  If you have to do CQB, you don't want something huge and heavy like a FAL or an M1A.

If I was defending a statis position I would say FAL, if I'm manuevering and moving from urban to rural terrain I want either an AR or an AK for the above reasons, and the AK wins over the AR hands down.

So if you want to be loaded down with a ten pound plus rifle and maybe limited to 200 rounds of ammo on your person, fine...  I'll take the seven pound rifle and 500 rounds...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Jesus Hiram, why are you always so hot and bothered? Are you about to run off to war or something and pissed about it? I think you need some more hobbies and perhaps a beer. Chill out as well.. :)
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude, I don't fucking drink beer!  Pass the fucking scotch!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Dude, I don't fucking drink beer!  Pass the fucking scotch!

Well I could give you some Scotch Tape.. :)

Anyway this thread couldn't have gotten any more bizarre based on kev50's last post.. I'd have to say we are done here and can do no more good.. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top