Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2002 7:05:23 AM EDT
I'm figuring on opening my springfield 1911 up and replacing the hammer,trigger,safety,grip safety, etc.

If anyone has experience with Wilson Combat parts (particularly "drop-in beavertail grip safety") or other aftermarket-type parts.  ie: installation/performance. I would appreciate any warnings/considerations.

also, what would be a nice complemant of tools for this project.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to check out 1911forum.com  theres lots of good information on there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Wilson`s are one of the best ways to go.....get the ultralite $35 trigger....trust me on that one........
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I just did what you are talking about a couple of weeks ago, minus the new trigger.

I used Wilson drop in beavertail (fit as well as a non-frame altering one could), value line hammer and sear, and reduced weight hammer spring.  The parts were excellent.

For tools I recommend a fine grit stone and maybe a medium grit for polishing the trigger mechanism sliding points.  I left the sear and hammer hook geometry alone since they came from Wilson better than I could have made them as far as shape and polish.  I used a very fine tooth file and one of the above mentioned stones to fit the grip safety.  Other tools a screw driver that fits the grip screws, a small dia. punch to disassembly the mainspring housing.

For instructions see the Blind Hogg website and Boderous(sp?) custom guns.  Hint (learned the hard way):  Make certain you know how to remove the magazine button before you bugger the screw.

Results crisp 4# pull w/o creep.  It is a series 80 so I have some take-up and w/o the new trigger I have some over travel.  I'll install the trigger latter.

Good luck! I learned a lot about my 1911 from this project.

Ian
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]
You can't go wrong with Wilson parts!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The most important thing for your project is to make sure your completed 45 passes all of the safety tests for thumb safety, disconnector, and grip safety. There are different function tests for all of these, please make sure your pistol passes them all.

Oh there is also a test to check that the hammer stays at full cock and doesn't follow the slide back to battery.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, I have just installed a Smith and Alexander beavertail safety last night and it is awesome, but the gun will release the hammer when in the "half cocked" mode. Any ideas? I have a Wilson ambi thumb safety , sear and hammer that will be here monday if that is the fix but I dont think it is.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For instructions see the Blind Hogg website and Boderous(sp?) custom guns.  Hint (learned the hard way):  Make certain you know how to remove the magazine button before you bugger the screw.

Ian

What is the trick on removing the mag release button??
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never had a problem with any of the Wilson parts that I've used....Oh my belt buckle still works fine too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]

What is the trick on removing the mag release button??

The little part that looks like a screw on the right side of the mag catch is called the mag catch lock.  Although it looks like a screw, it isn't.  You simply turn it about 90 degrees, then you can pull the mag catch out.  It's easy to remove, as long as you don't think the little piece that looks like a screw is a screw.  If you try turning it, you can break the tab off of it.  That's what Green_Canoe is warning about.z
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to every one for your responses- particularly the advice about the mag release lock.

I'm sure, with some looking, I'll find some advice on springs and the like.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the two Kuhnhausen 1911 shop manuals.

You can get them at Brownells (and other places), and they're probably the most valuable information resources any 1911 owner could ever want.

Not much of a plot, but they're good books anyway
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Bill Wilson sells a few books also.....available at most gun shops.......
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks to every one for your responses- particularly the advice about the mag release lock.

I'm sure, with some looking, I'll find some advice on springs and the like.

Wilsons are tops....but here`s a few others.....ed brown.....gil heben.....dpms.....these are some of the best.....also...chip mccormik.....use wollf springs......and get a brownell`s catalog.......you`ll have all the bases covered........
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody tried the barrels? They make a barrel and bushing combination in stainless that interests me.
E. Pluribus Uterus
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the process of upgrading mine as well.

Here it is:

For more info, take a look at this thread at 1911forum.com: www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12959

If you want, i'll post more info.

BTW my beavertail is from King's Gunworks, it is a drop-in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top