Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/10/2002 8:34:38 AM EDT
Ok so here I am, at my favorite honorable firearms establishment, and I see the deal of a lifetime!!! A Springfield Armory M1A loaded, NIB for $1089.99!!!!

So I drop a $100 as a layaway to hold this beautiful rifle... It was a pawn that no one ever came to pick up, so it went up for sale. I figure this is great, I always wanted to start getting into long range precision shooting as well as getting a .308 battle rifle.

Then I started thinking about it... In order to set up the M1A to do long range, it needs a scope mount, nice scope, etc. But you don't want these things on a battle rifle.

So here is the million dollar question...

Do I keep the M1A and try and make it a dual purpose rifle, or do I put that $100 on the DSA SG58 carbine next to it ($900) and get a precision bolt action long range rifle?

What to do, what to do...

The mags for the M1A are $50 for the high caps, I could buy 10 FAL mags for $50. (crap the 10 rounders are $25 for the M1A!!) I think the over all package for either option is about the same $$$$, so give me some opinions please [:\]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:42:49 AM EDT
I vote M1a.

Just my .000000000000002

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:01:01 AM EDT
No question... M1A all the way.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:06:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By illigb:

I agree
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:08:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By illigb:

Ok, Why????
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:41:52 AM EDT
DSA FAL & then something like a Remington PSS or Svage10FP

then you'll have a proven .308 battle rifle
& a precision long range rifle
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:51:54 AM EDT
cnatra said it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:56:33 AM EDT
FNFAL, cheaper mags, easy to maintain, more proven than the M1A, cheaper overall.

On the downside it will never be as accurate or true marksmans rifle.

Awww shit, get both on the lawaway program!
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:28:54 AM EDT
M1a here too
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:52:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cnatra:

See this is where my head is going now... I am so confused
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:23:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BlackDog714:

Originally Posted By cnatra:

See this is where my head is going now...
I am so confused

I feel your pain!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:13:38 PM EDT
Go for the DSA/bolt action combo. By the way, what pawn shop is the M1A at. I'm looking for one!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:25:03 PM EDT
While I love the M1A, If I were in your position, I think I'd go for the DSA FAL, a pile of cheap mags and a bolt gun.

The only justification I can find, Besides you've got to have one, for buying the M1A is if you plan on shooting Service Rifle matches. As an all around rifle, the M1A rigged for precision work, is too bulky and heavy for battle rifle duty, because you need at least a medium weight barrel, and a fairly heavy stock to wring that kind of accuracy out of the platform. True precision also requires glass bedding the action to the stock, unitizing the front ferule to the stock, and unitizing the front band to the gas cylinder, either by epoxy and screws into the gas spindle or by welding. All this adds complexity to the system and requires additional maintenance.

One of the critical maintenance issues on an M1A tuned up for precision shooting is the necessity to keep oil, cleaning solvents etc. away from the bedding. Even light lubricating oils will soften and dissolve the epoxy bedding material. Also once a rifle action is bedded into the stock, it is not advisable to remove it from the stock very often or the bedding will loosen. This significantly complicates routine cleaning.

2 stage match triggers, also important for getting precision out of an M1A, are not all that conducive to combat style shooting. They are a bit slow, and while really precise, they are also light, making them a bit easy to accidentally trip under stress.

By contrast, buying a dedicated battle rifle like the FAL and a dedicated bolt gun, allows you to tune the two systems to their needs without compromise.

Go DSA FAL and Bolt Gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:37:21 AM EDT
Ok, well I spent some time thinking about this and discussing it with my girlfriend and then my best friend... I have come to the conclusion that I am going to let the M1A go and get the FAL. My girlfriend said that when we are making more money later (she is a med student) she will get me the M1A of my choice! You wanna know her reasoning??? Because the mags are so much cheaper for the FAL and money is a little tighter now than it will be later... God I love that woman!
Top Top