Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2018 7:37:50 PM EDT
I anticipate purchasing my first Steyr AUG at the end of April. It will come in OD and will have factory 1.5X optics. I searched all over for an AUG cheek rest but didn’t find one so I’ve decided to undertake the task of making them.  The drawing shows the two designs, CR1/CR2, that I intend to make.

The Rest will be milded to the stock with an exact fit so it doesn’t interrupt the nice lines of the stock. It will be made out of thermoplastic sheet and it will also cover and protect the area where the ejected casings strike the beautiful bare Stock. This feature will maintain the Stock in pristine condition, free of any marring. Of course, the rest will have an ambidextrous design, as such it will provide protection against marring at each ejection port.  The risers will be designed to mount onto the Stock using the same technique featured on my CR2 risers that I make and offer for the Beretta ARX 100/160.

Additionally, I think the rest will add an element of enhanced aesthetic to the rifle.

What do you guyz think? Am I creating a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist?  Your commentary and opinions are appreciated. - jimmy

Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool. Here's one that steyr made for the CQC, but never sold.

Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried an AUG with a fixed optic to see how it fits? A riser might put you too high behind the optic
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried an AUG with a fixed optic to see how it fits? A riser might put you too high behind the optic
View Quote
The CR1/CR2 are [technically] not Risers. They will only elevate the stock comb or LOS (line of sight) about 1/16”, which is the thickness of the riser’s body.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If this doesn't incorporate a brass deflecting design, I don't see it being widely adapted.

If you can put a lip that deflects brass and keep it inexpensive while aesthetically pleasing, then you'll sell a truckload.

Currently there are other products that protect the stock from ejecting brass - at very reasonable prices.

The two products that deflects brass are the manticore brass buster and the corvus defensio brass deflector. The manticore product is cheaply priced and aesthetically a disaster (in my opinion). The corvus product is insanely expensive, must be imported, and there are reports of its failure.

Then you have the Steyr brass catchers which can act as a deflector as well, but those are even more expensive than corvus' offering, and only work with certain AUG receiver models - and may require modifications...

If you build it, they will come.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If this doesn't incorporate a brass deflecting design, I don't see it being widely adapted.

If you can put a lip that deflects brass and keep it inexpensive while aesthetically pleasing, then you'll sell a truckload.
View Quote
+1 this would make a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: ...If this doesn't incorporate a brass deflecting design, I don't see it being widely adapted.

View Quote
A brass deflector “lip” would be easy to design as the part of the Rest. A few trips to the range would be needed to establish the correct Height and Angle of the lip to achieve proper angle of brass deflection.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Currently there are other products that protect the stock from ejecting brass - at very reasonable prices.

The two products that deflects brass are the manticore brass buster and the corvus defensio brass deflector. The manticore product is cheaply priced and aesthetically a disaster (in my opinion). The corvus product is insanely expensive, must be imported, and there are reports of its failure.

Then you have the Steyr brass catchers which can act as a deflector as well, but those are even more expensive than corvus' offering, and only work with certain AUG receiver models - and may require modifications...

View Quote
Took all them fancy fancy words right out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They will only elevate the stock comb or LOS (line of sight) about 1/16”, which is the thickness of the riser’s body.
View Quote
What are the advantages of a cheek rest this thin? Is it soft or something? Also, is it far forward enough for proper eye relief? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: ... What are the advantages of a cheek rest this thin? Is it soft or something? Also, is it far forward enough for proper eye relief? Thanks!
View Quote
Good question. To be candid, The cheek rest offers no real advantage in terms of tangible effects to the rifle or the operator. The cheek rest is an accessory offered as an option to AUG/MSAR owners for personal customizing of their rifle. The added "brass off the stock" feature of the design will be a big plus.  I'll also consider adding a brass deflection lip, as well.

As in every situation, eye relief with magnified optics will obviously vary from operator to operator. The rest will probably work best with magnified optics that are mounted with the ocular lens closer to the ejection ports such as the mounted position of the factory 1.5X/3X scopes.

Subjectively speaking,  Red Dot optics should not be a concern regarding eye relief.

I think the rest blends well with the Stock. It gives the AUG/MSAR a two-tone effect that looks good combined with the factory black components of the rifle.  My first prototype will be made in a carbon fiber finish.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seconded/thirded.  
Guessing at pricing puts it a good amount more than a strip of velcro or cut kydex or other plastic, while the addition of a shell deflector would make it overall significantly more appealing to a larger # if users.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered an exemplary stock. We'll start rock'n & roll'n pretty soon..
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#12]
The stock is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Unless I run into a brick walk, photos of the prototype will be uploaded by Saturday evening.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#13]
AUG CR2/prototype-001

It was a long day at the office but I got exited when I learned that the stock had been delivered so I rushed home to start on the project. The prototype was hand molded and although I obtained pretty good fitment, I'll have to make a tool to obtain a precise fit.   I've got a good idea on how to integrate a brass deflector so I'll work on that prototype tomorrow..
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks nice. I'm in for one if it includes case deflector and comes in less than the Corvus.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks nice. I'm in for one if it includes case deflector and comes in less than the Corvus.
View Quote
Thank you. I appreciate your interest.

I have very low overhead. ;)   The price point that I'm trying to reach for the CR2-BD is about half that of the Austrian made deflector. I just gotta make sure it's gonna work! :)
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I made good progress tonight with the deflector design.  I used prototype-001 and reformed it on top of the dummy [1/2" tall] snap-on deflector that I made. I'll try to work on prototype-002 tomorrow. Prototype-002 will have the deflector formed into it's body. So far, so good...

Here's a few pics. Please excuse the poor quality of the photos. They were taken with my cell and the lighting in my garage is atrocious.

Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks interesting but it all depends on how it performs.

I'd suggest getting a real Steyr AUG stock before proceeding with production as you can't be certain it will be compatible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#18]

With most AUG's, brass ejects straight back. If the area in yellow is a hollow void, it's likely going to induce malfunctions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks interesting but it all depends on how it performs.

I'd suggest getting a real Steyr AUG stock before proceeding with production as you can't be certain it will be compatible.
View Quote
Thanks for you suggestion and input. I appreciate your participation very much. Before committing to purchase I had the seller measure the width of the subject stock comb with calipers and it checked out within 0.004” of his personal AUG.

I’m purchasing my AUG in a few weeks.  It’ll be used at the range to test the prototypes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Y4SwBbv.png

With most AUG's, brass ejects straight back. If the area in yellow is a hollow void, it's likely going to induce malfunctions.
View Quote
Copy that. The deflector will not be hollow.  The yellow area will be covered with a solid piece..
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I am confused.  Are you making a cheek rest or just a brass deflector?  I ask because I don't know of anyone including me that puts their cheek that far back which would put your ear up against your shoulder.  When I shoot my AUG and everyone else that I have witnessed your cheek is pretty much on the opposite side of the ejection port.

Is this device just to keep the brass from gouging the stock?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am confused.  Are you making a cheek rest or just a brass deflector?  I ask because I don't know of anyone including me that puts their cheek that far back which would put your ear up against your shoulder.  When I shoot my AUG and everyone else that I have witnessed your cheek is pretty much on the opposite side of the ejection port.

Is this device just to keep the brass from gouging the stock?
View Quote
Good question. At this juncture the operative is to make a cheek rest with an integrated deflector.

Cheek weld position on the stock will vary from operator to operator but after viewing most, if not all the videos posted on YTube, it would appear that the majority of right hand AUG operators plant their cheek aft of the left-side ejection port.

One thing is certain, right-side of stock cheek weld position will definitely be Aft of the ejection port when cases are ejecting right-side of stock.

** I could design the rest to extend on the left-side of the stock, but it would probably cover 1/3 - 1/2 of the ejection port. Not sure that would be very desirable. Hmmm...

Thank you. -jimmy
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm really digging how that looks, certainly be up to see one in a more standard kydex appearance. Having it cheaper than the Corvus deflector is even more attractive.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Interesting. I think I kind of like it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Stay tuned. Photos of the latest prototype up in a few days..
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I like it better than the olive drab Velcro I have on it now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Any updates?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top