Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2002 10:57:28 AM EDT
I've been on a rimfire kick latley. My newest rimfire is quickly becoming my favorite.
Its a Taurus M72 22 MWR, very similiar to the Winchester gallery guns of yesteryear. It sports a 20" bbl and holds 12 rounds of 22 WMR.
Optics: I removed the rear sight and installed a Loopie 2.5 EER scout scope, marked Steyer, bought from CDNN. Very easy installation using the Taurus factory mount.
Fit and finish are very well done. Wood to metal fit looks like it was hand done. The metal (stainless model) is highly polished.  
This has proven to be an addicitive little plinker. Both eyes open shooting, combined with a smooth pump action and a great trigger make this rifle pure joy to shoot. Spinner targets were made for this thing, and I'd like to give "rabbit" type sporting clays a try.
The 22 WMR round has enough power to be a 100 yd varmint rifle, without the recoil or noise of a centerfire.  
New shooters immediatly fall in love with it, as it lends itself to fast and accurate shooting. (me buying the ammo might help a bit also)
 I'm ashamed to say it but my AR has been neglected and is probably quite jealous at this point.
Oh, did I mention its a take down! No tools needed, excellent rig for backpacking and throwing behind the seat. It fits perfect in a carbine or smaller case, very easy to assemble.
The selection of ammo is growing steadily (did you hear that ammoman?) and is available from 50gr solids to 30 gr HP's. I've had excellent results with the PMC PSP's and the CCI 42 gr HP's.

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
GIT it off da Trash Can!
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
GIT it off da Trash Can!

Sheesh, tough crowd! We ain't all professional photographers ya know! I think the trash can contrasts very well with the stainless steel.
BTW, the trash can is a pre-ban, very low serial #.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Those really are great riffles.  My only complaint was the sights.  I bought the carbine version of the .22lr for my niece as her first gun.  Damn brother in law is too much of a tight wad to get her anything.  I figured it was a good riffle to start her with, especially since it has the three safety features.

That stainless magnum model looks pretty cool.  I may just have to buy one for myself.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That stainless magnum model looks pretty cool.  I may just have to buy one for myself.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed if you buy one. Sweet shooter is an understatement. Being able to get it in 22 WMR is a big plus in my book. I'm really falling for that cartridge, it will do alot of jobs, similiar to an SUV.
The feeding action of my rifle is ultra reliable. I've emptied the tube as fast as I can many times. Never a jam.
The scout optics setup is the fastest I've ever shot, I'll bet it would be even better with a red dot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I ain't feelin' no love here!
Would ya'll like it better if I painted it flat black and welded on a bayo lug?
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats uh fancee lukin skwurul poper ya got ther Jed!
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Slacker, I noticed the zip ties on your rifle rest. Are the ties holding some type of weight to the bottom of the frame? If so, what are you using for a weight? I have one of those rests but it is too light.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey Slacker, I noticed the zip ties on your rifle rest. Are the ties holding some type of weight to the bottom of the frame? If so, what are you using for a weight? I have one of those rests but it is too light.

The zip ties are holding the plastic bullet holders that come in most federal centerfire boxes. Its handy to have 10 rounds at my fingertips.
I use a sandbag on the front of the rest when I'm shooting. It helps out alot, give it a shot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Ahh yessss, another rimfire addiction! I'm glad to see the rimfire addiction has afflicted someone besides myself. However, if you think the .22 WMR is fun and useful, try a .17 HMR. I guess now you'll have to spend an equal amount of time on rimfirecentral.com too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I guess now you'll have to spend an equal amount of time on rimfirecentral.com too.

Not a chance. I'll talk rimfire on TFF or Glocktalk first. I might offend someone, very easy to do on Rimfire central.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess now you'll have to spend an equal amount of time on rimfirecentral.com too.

Not a chance. I'll talk rimfire on TFF or Glocktalk first. I might offend someone, very easy to do on Rimfire central.

I am offended that you would place these photos here. I do not have one of those I have had my feelings hurt. I will be suing you for violating my civil rights plus damages to my self esteem. We can settle out of court if you just send me the rifle. US mail to my PO box. Thanks. No hard feelings, right?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am offended that you would place these photos here. I do not have one of those I have had my feelings hurt. I will be suing you for violating my civil rights plus damages to my self esteem. We can settle out of court if you just send me the rifle. US mail to my PO box. Thanks. No hard feelings, right?

I'll throw in overnight shipping, just call off the lawyers!
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK, I ain't feelin' no love here!
Would ya'll like it better if I painted it flat black and welded on a bayo lug? hr

I like it just the way it is.  :)>
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll throw in overnight shipping, just call off the lawyers!

Consider it done of you throw in the Tactical Waste Unit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#15]
So how much do they go for at a gun shop?  

I have an old Stevens .22 that WAS a tack driver.  Something happened to the gun and now the zero is way off.  I can't get it to zero any closer than 5" high at 50 yards.  I think it may have been bumped around in a move.

Anyway I am looking for something to replace it for plinking and education new shooters.  This little gem looks like a viable candidate!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So how much do they go for at a gun shop?  

I have an old Stevens .22 that WAS a tack driver.  Something happened to the gun and now the zero is way off.  I can't get it to zero any closer than 5" high at 50 yards.  I think it may have been bumped around in a move.

Anyway I am looking for something to replace it for plinking and education new shooters.  This little gem looks like a viable candidate!

Mark,
Offhand, I don't remember how much I paid for it. Check out AA or GB for prices. I paid $199.00 for the scope and $19.00 for the scout scope base.
Mine is the rifle model, they also come in carbine length. Blued or stainless and you can get a peep sight as an option. I think the blued model is a little cheaper. If you buy one make sure you can afford lots of ammo as this thing will eat a brick in an afternoon. A spinner type metal target is a must have.
Try this link for info:
www.taurususa.com/m72.html
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the tips Slacker!  I have a couple new shooters interested in learning and this looks like just the ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top