Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2002 9:18:31 PM EDT
I've got a man who has offered me a pre-ban AR15 that was made in a town in LA. However, he was not able to remember the name of the company that made it (he lives 300 miles from my residence and I do know him). He has been sick and cant get to the rifle for now (not until Monday).
Do any of you know who the manufacture might be, and if so, what do you know about their rifles or the company?
Thanks,
Russell
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
EA, Essential Arms, not to be confused with Eagle Arms (plenty of pig-sticking ripp-off gun-shops try to pass EA's off as Eagle's.

Check the serial number list on the webpage, if it is a preban and it is in good shape then BUY IT!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information USNJoe. I've read that this company went under before the crime bill in 1994, so that should make all of these rifles pre-ban.
I have never owned or handeled one of these and dont know about their quality. Yes, the man that has it is a dealer, but I do trust him. He had received it form a friend of his who is needing money and wanting to sell it.
The rifle is suppose to be in "carbine form" as it was described to me. I will have to drive the 300 miles to figure this one out.
Thanks,
Russell
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
RIP,

USNJoe is correct, but he didn't go far enuff, Essential Arms NEVER made a rifle, they only produced lowers & stripped at that, their designation on the receiver is "J-15", the quality is OK for a good every day plinker, if the rifle is in good shape & good parts it shud sell from about $850 to $1,200.......

BUT !!! if the rifle/carbine has an upper that is post ban it must remain that way...., according to the law that is...........

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
TO add to the confusion .

It is an Essential Arms, EA did go out of business before the ban, EA did not make complete rifles, I think they are very good lowers, suggested value is about right.

As to Pre-Ban, you may need to prove it was assembled or was in a complete kit before the ban.

Now as to the LAW. Recently I have seen a letter posted from the ATF that states their current interpretation is if you assemble the rifle in a post ban configuration, it is no longer Pre-Ban! The ATF does not set law, they enforce it. They can charge you with a crime but it is the court system that will decide if it is against the law. This hasn't been tested as of yet, so for now it's all intrepretations. Maybe a small point given that if the ATF charges you with the crime you are not going to have a good time, but a point non-the-less.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Try this:
I have found a preban EA AR15 type rifle. I don't want the upper reciever that is currently on it, so I am going to SEND the upper reciever of my choice to the seller so he can install it before he ships it to me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
RTP... Be safe... Make sure the rifle is in PostBan configuration... Because Chances are there will be no way to tell how it was sold originally.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all your help concerning this issue.
I'm the guy who has a Robinson M96 for trade and the man was offering this rifle in trade.
I'm just about to give up on finding a pre-ban for trade.
The Robinson is nice, but it doesnt have "the feel" for me when I use it.
Thanks,
Russell
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top