Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2003 6:54:32 PM EDT
I was plinking with one of my ARs this weekend.  It started short stroking, then wouldn't eject at all.  I disassembled and found that my Gas key was loose on the bolt carrier.  It was also damged because it hit the gas tube at a bad angle and mangled the opening of the key.  

I have a new key and screws on order.

Question 1:  This particular key did not have its screws "staked" like my bushy bolt carrier.  I am assuming this led to the loosening. Does it need to be staked, and if so how is this done?

Question 2:  Can I just use loctite on the screws instead of staking them?  What color loctite should I use.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Staking. The military manual on M16s, also recommend staking.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think that locktite can hold up to any heat from a rifle as its used on cars. Engines run pretty hot as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  I fell kinda stupid for letting the thing work loose witout checking it.  

It looks like staking should be easy, so I will go that route.

After further inspection, it appears as though there was an attempted staking but it only marked the key and did not deform the screws at all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top