Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/2/2002 1:55:41 PM EDT
Besides the Colt mags...any Experience with other ones? Argentina ? USA brand ? Uzi moded?
Also...who has them for sale at the best prices?
Any of these hold the bolt open?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 2:12:03 PM EDT
Only Colt mags activate the bolt hold-open. Take a look at one and you'll see why: Attached to the back of the follower, and riding in a channel that sticks out the back of the mag body, is a tab that activates the hold-open. Except for this tab and the channel it rides in -- which is stamped into the body during manufacture -- the Colt mags is almost identical to the Uzi mag.

No other design uses this tab-in-a-channel, so no other mags activate the hold-open -- and there's really no way to modify them to do so.

I've had good luck with converted Uzi mags as long as I'm using 115-gr. RN FMJs. With the fatter 124-gr FMJs I've run into some feeding problems -- mostly because without that channel noted above, the converted Uzis fit a little loosely front-and-rear .... 115s still feed fine, but fatter bullets sometimes jam when the mag tilts a bit.

The hands-down best mag for the Colt system is the 72-round Suomi drum mags, as converted by C&S or MMAG before BATF shut them down. The ones I've used feed flawlessly with all ammo, including HPs and 147-gr subsonic. No, the bolt hold-open doesn't work with these, but with 72 rounds, you don't need to swap mags.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:32:47 PM EDT
Thanks Tony
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:25:06 PM EDT
My Colt 9mm carbine uses the converted UZI with out a hiccup. I had a friend do the conversion from a factory Colt magazine I had. The magazines cost me 25 dollars each from Vector back about five years ago, and it is the best investment i ever had.

Since the bolt does not hold open, I installed a tac latch ot my charging handle, this help me cock the gun much faster when the gun run dry. I am used to shooting MP5s, so the help open is not that big of a deal to me. although that ability is very nice to have. but for the price of a Colt magazine, I can do without it.

Stay far away from USA magazines.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 11:13:56 PM EDT
There were some curved mags for the Colt 9mm (maybe they were Argenine, dont know). They work great.

The South African mags work great too. Granted, there are some that are undersized.... and slop around. But putting some 'furnace tape' (an Aluminum tape) helps build up the sides so they don't slop. Some UZI type (ie double feed) mags can jam..due to the feed lips being too high...nocks the round out before the ejector does it's job.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:56:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/3/2002 6:57:26 AM EDT by Code39]
Is this the curved magazines you are referring to?

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:04:42 AM EDT
Code39,

Not sure.....I don't think the magazine had the "ridges" as your does. The curve looks a little less on yours then the one I have.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:12:07 AM EDT
I was "told" that the two curved mags I have belong to a Madsen???...
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:02:18 PM EDT
Someone please tell me why inserting my mag locks the bolt back, and the mag doesnt lock in.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:21:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Someone please tell me why inserting my mag locks the bolt back, and the mag doesnt lock in.

Well, what kind of mag? Uzi modified... did you cut the notch?

Well, if inserting mag locks bolt, I would say that the mag is too high. Second, the not locking in, maybe the "notch" in the mag isn't perfect.... too "narrow" or the catch is not long enough...

Top Top