Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2002 8:29:40 PM EDT
I read that Armalite will sell the muzzle brake separately and wanted to know if anyone has heard of someone putting one on a Ferret 50, Serbu BFG, etc...? Just curious as I'm still sitting on the fence between a MMAG/Ferret 50 upper, Serbu or AR-50. If you're reading this AR-Sniper-15 I know you'll be saying to get the Barrett 99 like yours but that extra cost will be hard to come up with. I like the idea of the AR-50 being low recoil but the down side is that it's not very mobile and more of a bench rest rifle. I like the Serbu as it's more mobile but unsure about the recoil and so thought about the AR-50 muzzle brake. I like the theory behind the two AR upper .50's as they're not a shell-holder design and thought the AR-50 brake might help them as well. Any thoughts or experience! Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen the AR-50's brake on a Serbu BFG but the new "Shark Brake" that Serbu makes is a good one.

If you get a .50 upper for a AR lower you'll have to remember one thing. There's a big weight difference and it will account for you feeling more recoil.

If you want something to tote around the BFG Carbine is another option also. I've shot one offhand and it was a great shooter, the recoil was less then a 12ga.

If you get one of the uppers, you could always ask them to thread the barrel for the AR-50 brake and install it yourself. Or you could send them the brake and let them do it for you when they build the upper.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually for mobility the Serbu can't be beat its lightweight enuf to move around in all kinds of situations. Also the Shark Break on them are very efficient. They have less kick then a shotgun with slugs and are relatively light compared to other .50s which makes offhand a cinch to do. I shot DVDTrackers offhand at the BRC it was one very nice rifle.
That being said my vote would be for you to get one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the comments 50 Shooter and Snipe I knew you'd have to put your .2 worth in also! I shot DVD's Serbu offhand as welland was very impressed at the lack of recoil. He just had a red dot on it and I'm not real sure on how well the accuracy is when push really comes to shove. Honestly I'm really stressing on my choice between the mobility/price of the Serbu and the heft/lack of recoil and perceived accuracy that goes with the AR-50. As if I don't have enough other things to think about!
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Serbu BFG #233 with 257 rounds through it,and I am still amazed at the lack of recoil from the weapon,I put the heaviest rings I could find on the scope,put a Tasco Sniper 44 on it and had everyone tell me the Tasco would self destruct--Never a problem,never had to readjust the scope. I have fired two different Barrets with a hell of a lot more recoil than the Serbu BFGs--Recoil is less than a 12 gage slug,at first I was disappointed in the lack of recoil,but the back blast from the sharkfin brake makes up for the lack of recoil!
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Idsteff could you please tell me what kind of accuracy you're getting out of your BFG? I'd be shooting mostly surplus ammo but would like to get more of a match barrel someday for handloads/match ammo no matter what kind of 50 I decide on. What kind of bipod does your BFG have? Have you heard much of anything about the BFG Carbine and how it compares to the standard rifle as far as recoil/accuracy etc? One last question, how much is the BFG going for and what is a good price? P.S.-Why did you choose the BFG (portability?) over the Armalite 50 or the others? Thanks!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top