Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2001 6:18:03 AM EDT
I bought my first AR-15, its a colt preban with a pre ban style flash suppressor.  I have never shot one before and when I did I was shocked by the amount of noise it produced.  It sounded about ten times louder than a 12 ga.  The noise was rolling over hills and causing one hell of an echo.  

I guess its normal but im just curious to find out from people who are experienced in that area.  Does anyone know how far away a AR-15 can be heard?
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Much of the echo effect is caused by the sound that is trailing the supersonic bullet after the initial explosion.  The shotgun does not propel the projectile as far and as fast as the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
308's are waaay too loud... I hear people shooting those and I could feel the blast... its almost as if a bomb went off...
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#3]
If you think the F.S. is loud, wait until you shoot an AR with a muzzle brake, the .308 guys will be packing up and getting in their cars and leaving!
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Our range at work has an overhang over the back of the building we shoot under.  Enclosed on three sides.  Wandered out there and forgot to put on hearing protection the other day.....talk about loud
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#5]
That is why I love the muzzle breaks. It definitely wakes up the neighbors around you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#6]
an AR15 loud?

In absolute terms, yea I guess so, but relative to other firearms, its fairly tame.  For a similar length barrel, a 308 would be louder.  Loudest thing in my arsenal is an HK51 - a .308 with an 8.9" barrel.  Makes a 16" barrel AR15 sound like a cap gun.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Just wait till you see someone shooting a .50. Last time I was at the range there was a guy shooting a semi auto Barret. I was about 20 feet away and I still felt the shockwaves going through my body-it's a weird feeling.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I had my Armalite 16" with muzzle brake at the range yesterday and the guy at the bench about 10 feet away said to me, "Damn that thing is loud and I can feel the wind coming from it".  He was shooting some kind of custom .308 pistol that was loud as hell.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, those 50's clear everyone out! I've never been behind the trigger of one, but like you said you can feel the M.B. 20 feet away!

I actually like shooting the AR w/o a brake. People next to you don't get upset and the recoil of AR is a nice feel.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yeah, those 50's clear everyone out! I've never been behind the trigger of one, but like you said you can feel the M.B. 20 feet away!

I actually like shooting the AR w/o a brake. People next to you don't get upset and the recoil of AR is a nice feel.

No can do anymore on the new AR50's.  They come with the brake's welded on now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
you guys should try a Glock 32C...a ported .357 Sig is LOUD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top