Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2002 6:42:56 PM EDT
I was out shooting my nine year old Colt Sporter II the other day and the bolt split in two, half of it went back with carrier and the other half stayed locked onto the empty brass still chamber. Had been shooting Wolf ammo last 200 rounds or so and only had fired twenty the day she blew. Anybody got any ideas as why, could you recommend a place to buy a new one, and is there anything I need to know about bolts before I buy one? I know enough to replace it but is there different kinds?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
They are all the same unless you have an AR pistol.

Try here: Quality Parts
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was out shooting my nine year old Colt Sporter II the other day and the bolt split in two, half of it went back with carrier and the other half stayed locked onto the empty brass still chamber. Had been shooting Wolf ammo last 200 rounds or so and only had fired twenty the day she blew. Anybody got any ideas as why, could you recommend a place to buy a new one, and is there anything I need to know about bolts before I buy one? I know enough to replace it but is there different kinds?

OMG! OMG!  WOLF AMMO CAUSES ANOTHER MALFUNCTION!

(Just kidding).
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me guess. Failed right at the hole for the cam pin?  Seems to be a bit of a stress localizer.. I seriously doubt it was a direct result of the ammo you were using..

As to the bolt, there are a couple views. One says "drop in any old bolt, and go shooting" and another says "Headspace must be checked with the new bolt"..

I'd use a new Colt bolt, and then check headspace, as well as firing pin protrusion..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
get one from JTdistributing.com
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Did it look like this?www.fulton-armory.com/Kaboom.htm

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the upper reciever OK ?
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input all, the upper was fine the bolt really just seperated when firing a round. How would you check the head space? Oh and you were right Meplat it was in the cam hole.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Axehole said:

the upper was fine the bolt really just seperated when firing a round. How would you check the head space?

Axehole, no offense, but if you do not know about headspacing the bolt and how to do it, what makes you think you know the upper is fine?  The bolt carrier could be damaged, along with the barrel extension.

I do not want your next post as "last six days in the hospital and the food sucked!" or something like that.

Any serious malfunction such as your should be inspected by a qualified armorer or gunsmith.  I would hate to hear that you had to put a good horse down.

223REM

Edited because I really, really like this feature!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#9]
If you don't have the gauges, and have'nt done it before, get a 'Smith to look er over like 223Rem suggested.

As to the reciever, Dyepen inspection at home is a bit messy..See above..

Good luck.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Point taken, I didn't see anymarks in side the upper or any unusul marks in the bolt carrier i'll get it to a smith before I take it out again thanks.
AXE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top