Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2002 6:08:05 AM EDT
Just curious. About how many rounds can be run through a 14.5 inch barrel before it is "worn out"? Not that I have to worry about it just yet, just something I have pondered from time to time. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The USAMU jerks the barrels out after every 2500 to 3000 rounds. Mind you, these are match guns, and they hold them to a different standard. I have a Colt 20" upper that has roughly 10,000 rounds through it. It shoots only marginally worse than my Bushmaster 20" that only has 2000 rounds through it. Alot of it depends on the type of ammo you use, how often you shoot, and weather or not the barrel is chromed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrels can last quite a bit of time.  Barrels for civilians should be changed every 20,000 rounds.  Just keep an eye on the Headspace and rifling in the barrel.  If accuracy drops, then change it out.

Max
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If accuracy drops, then change it out.

Max

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#5]
According to the Colt rep at my recent Armorer's course, the "standard" is 20K, but, he said that a barrel should last to around 40-50, and he had seen many that lasted to 80, with proper care and minimal abuse (no long strings of rapid fire without letting the weapon cool).
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Under normal use, 20k+ is possible with chrome lined barrels, anyone read the torture test they did with a Colt MT6601 where they shot 10K rounds in only three days! That weapon was abused like none other and it still shot good groups. I guess once you start key-holing[sp?] then it is all over.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
According to the Colt rep at my recent Armorer's course, the "standard" is 20K, but, he said that a barrel should last to around 40-50, and he had seen many that lasted to 80, with proper care and minimal abuse (no long strings of rapid fire without letting the weapon cool).

================================================

i too go along with the 80,000 rnds under propper care.................., BUT !!

in my experience the "AVERAGE" AR shooter.., most likely never exceed 20,000 !!

Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think I make enough money to ever wear a barrel out.  If I ever win the lotto, then i will see how many rnds a Bushy 1 n 9 20" can take.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top