Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 6:59:57 PM EDT
Folks,

Just got an ARMS #18 from the mail to install onto a SOCOM 16. As I'm trying to tighten down on the mount, I noticed that the top rail was not quite lining up with the iron sights. Sure enough, as there is no more to tighten down, I'm seeing the dovetail attachment is not centered nor are the iron sights centered relative to the top rail of the mount--the rail doesn't come all the way to center!

I would imagine that this would later cause a problem with mounting a scope as this would show up as excessive windage.

Is this normal?

Please advise.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem with my SOCOM 16.  Bought an Arms18 first but the reciever was so out of spec that there was no way it could work.  Then I bought a Smith which almost fit but almost doesn't cut it.  Finally I bought Sadlak's custom reciever measuring kit and am having them custom fit one for me.  Sell the Arms and do the Sadlak custom fit it'll save you money in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, it's the receiver that's out of spec, not the mount. That is the biggest optics mounting problem with the M1A/M-14 clones: out of spec receivers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#3]
that sucks...  Would there be any recourse by contacting springfield about this?  That's unsat...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That pretty much bites . . .

On the up note, although I was tempted to take out my rasp and file, I didn't. But after tinkering around for a couple of hours I was able to line up the rail and iron sights fairly close to center (not sure how it happened). Also appers pretty much in line with the scout/barrel rail portion as well. I haven't taken a level to it to confirm, though. Not sure if I'll ever take it off now. And I did have to cut a small notch on the top plastic hand guard to fit the front set screw properly.

Thanks again for the input, everybody!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top