Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 6:18:22 AM EDT
I have a SKS, and it is a fun piece of metal! But are the AR's worth the extra $$$ I'm getting ready to buy another sports rifle and I really like to way the AR looks and feels, but is it a superior gun compared to an L1A1. I'm  new to sports rifles and can use any advice anyone can give me, Thanks nicbig
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes....
It's lightweight,SUPER customizable,and it looks bad-ass.Not too mention more accurate and reliable then most other weapons.The support for this weapon is insane.There's countless companies making quality parts for this weapon SYSTEM.The system is also combat proven,and has been improved over the decades.Yes,like ALL weapons,it has is weaknesses,but these are easily overshadowed by it's strong points.
It "could" be the most versatile rifle system in the world today.It's $800 bucks for a reason,you'll love it!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
You guys are making this a lot easier for me!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes,

get one anyway, i know you will like it.

a word of caution: buying things for your AR15's can become addicting!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy one! I suggest a Bushmaster, however I own Colt's as well. You will find after the first that a magical thing happens in your house, ARs start poping up all over. Not to mention the ammo dump, the mag dump and all the goddies you start squirreling away. Check the price of rails for the flat top as well as Sure Fire lighting, not to mention a little night work. The price goes right up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes,  hell yes.  Get it.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll have no regrets buying an AR.  They are well worth it!  I like the Colt rifles, they will eat anything and are very accurate.  Buy some 30 rounders, buy a case of ammo, and have fun!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#8]
YES!  Do yourself a favor, drive to the local gun store, have them ring one up, pay for it, leave, go shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
What are you going to do with one of those weenie mouse guns?
Get an AR-10 instead
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I got my first AR late last year, and about 2 months later, I am the proud owner of 4.  Will the madness ever end?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#11]
An AR-10 is really just an AR-15 all over again but with bigger ammo.  Close enough that AR-10 shooters are still "one of the boys".

Yes, an AR-15 is worth the extra money.  Try it, you'll like it!

And of course, you can still have an SKS, too.  Have all the guns you want.  It's an American tradition!

CJ

"I like my guns like I like my women...black, ugly, and LOUD!"    (kidding about the women )
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#12]
" But are the AR's worth the extra $$$ ?"

HELL YES !!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#13]
OK,OK
I think you have your answer.

You must get an AR-15 and an AR-10.
Now get off the internet and go buy one of each.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Well that depends.  It will definitely be a step up from your SKS.  However, you can spend any amount of $ you want to on an AR-15 setup.  I purchased a DPMS just about a year ago, and have been satisfied with it in every aspect.  My primary goal was to get a varmint caliber rifle that was also fun to shoot.  I chose a 16" bull barreled model, tricked it out with scope, bidod, competition trigger, and an aftermarket molded pistol grip.  Since my purchase, I primarily hunted varmints with this rifle - I was amazed at its accuracy out of the box.  However, others may lean towards competition shooting with their AR's while others still favor the tactical nature of this weapon.  That's just it - the AR is a very versatile firearm which can be configured for just about any purpose you can imagine.  If you're only looking for a fun plinker, similar to your SKS, you may have a hard time justifying an $800 expense for just another plinker.  While the AR is as fun to shoot as any weapon, one may be reluctant to make that kind of inital investment in a "fun" gun.  For less than $400 you can get yourself one of the AK variants like the SAR-1 (7.62X39), SAR-2 (5.45X39), or SAR-3(5.56X45NATO) that can equally serve as a fun sporting rifle.  I have a SAR-3 myself and enjoy shooting it almost as much as my AR-15.  Like someone on this board once said - "My AR is like my wife, while my AK is like my mistress" type of thing.  However, with the AK variants you'll always have an AK variant - with an AR-15, there's no limit to the combinations of uppers/lowers - not to mention to number of aftermarket products available to experiment with.  There's no doubt that an AR is one of the staples which no man's gun closet should be without.  You'll never regret buying an AR - it's just coming up with the cash that's the PIA.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#15]
They really are pretty cool.  You can either shoot them stock or you can turn them into the most esoteric space gun you ever saw.  There's nothing else that really compares for availability either.  

Unless you have pressing financial needs, get one because you will NOT regret it.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Get you a good ar15 s*can the 10rounders get GI mags for it! then have fun with it AR15's are a
blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]
nicbig

I thought the same thing for years.  When I was 18 I bought an SKS sporter.  I just loved it.  I would laugh at the guys that had ARs.  

I know I was very young and stupid. 8 years latter and I bought my first AR15.  Needless to say my tricked out SKS has migrated to the back of the gun safe.  

It only comes out when I have company in from NY that don't know any better.

Now that you have found this website, I would be willing to bet that you will have an AR in 2 months (at the most) and a small ammo dump in the closet right after that.

Or maybe it is just me.  Welcome to the club
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
what sort of answer do you really expect here at AR15.COM?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I would definitely be inclined toward getting an AR-15 for my next rifle.  But the one after that should be an FAL.  They're every bit as much fun as an AR.  Both guns have their pros and cons.  On this site I think the AR-15 bias will be obvious.  You might try hanging out at www.fnfal.com to get another perspective.  One of the attractions of the FAL is building them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Have you ever shot an AR15? That would clear up any confusion you have.

Simply put, if you by an AR15, your other rifle(s) will gather dust. They are that damn good.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I feel badly for my other guns at times, like I'm neglecting them. But damn I love my AR's.

Oh, and get one in a military configuration for a first gun. Everybody should own at least one. Then move on to varment uppers and such.

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Would you spend 50 cents on a coke or drink ONLY water when you are thirsty.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#22]
no. send all your EXTRA money to me. I take paypal.

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#23]
nicbig...Get one!!!  I have three now and looking for number four!  Have fun...go to the AR15's First Black Rifle Shoot or go to Knob Creek and meet up with all the other AR fans!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#24]
GET ONE!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#26]
i shoot my ak more then my ar granted my ar is still just a stripped reciever sitting in my safe
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#27]
i started with an sks. traded it in on an armalite. I miss the sks. I will never give up my armalite. This year i also picked up a bushy shorty. I'm not big on .223 ballistics for a firefight. but for blasting, target shooting, and varminting they CAN NOT BE BEAT!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
also don't forget. It is the most customizable rifle you can own. MANY different calibers from from .50 all the way down to 9mm. all it takes is pull to pins and swap uppers. Instant new rifle.

mike
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#29]
If you stay on this web, you'll have to get an AR. The information is superb, the guys very knowledgeable. Like BEER- SLAYER, I'm an Armalite type. Wanted to start with the best I could afford ($1200+) at the time AR-15NM. Then a big sexy looking AR caught my eye. Had to have her, AR-10T,Signature Series Burris, Bi-pod ($2,100 plus) Armalite of course(. Something to kick around in my truck, Bushmaster AR-15-ES2 16" ($700). Needed something fat& sexy, DPMS Bull 24 Upper,($560 plus) Flat-top. Want the most from all the AR's you have, handload, Dillion 550B, LC Brass, Multiple cans of powder, different bullet weights, scales, calipers, micrometer, spotting scope(s), new truck to haul AR's in. Get the fever, join the club. One of the most addicting things you can do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top