Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2002 8:13:03 PM EDT
How do I go about removing the barrel from my Colt "Match Target" AR? I need a barrel wrench right? Is it a difficult Job?

Thanks
Josh
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Josh223,

1) To protect the upper, use an action block to hold the upper in a vise.
(Pic of action block)del-ton.com/img_tools/Pr-02.jpg

2) Remove handguards.

3) Punch out the gas tube retaining pin and remove gas tube.

4) Loosen barrel nut with barrel wrench and unthread nut from upper.

5) Pull barrel straight out from upper.

As an alternative to the action block, you could use a set of aluminum barrel jaws, but the action block is the best way to go. Not too difficult, but if you don't feel up to it, have a 'smith do it for you. The tools can be a little pricey for a one-time deal.

coyote3
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your help.

Josh223
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The hardest part is keeping the barrel from spinning and keeping from knocking the teeth off of the barrel nut.  I've got an old Colt with a barrel I'm trying to remove.  The only thing I've accomplished is crushing a couple sets of vise blocks and knocking a few of the barrel nut teeth off.  I tried soaking it in Kroil, and that didn't help.  I tried the freezer trick, and that didn't help.  Aside, by freezer trick, I mean keeping the upper in the freezer overnight then trying to take the barrel off.  I'll get it off sometime, but it won't be before I find some nicer vise blocks.z
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#5]
this is all very interesting........!!!!!!!

i bought a used pre-ban, give it a thourogh visual check out, clean bore, no missing parts etc., filled a 30 rnd mag & cut loose from the hip..., that sucker shot beautifully......

took it home, started to disassemble it & noticed some looseness in the barrel to receiver, pulled of the hand guards off removed the gas tube & turned the barrel nut half a turn by fingers.......

i was told i was damn lucky the rifle didn't KaBlooey !! the rifle is now in parts & waiting for my tools to put it back together properly........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top