Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:50:38 AM EDT
I remember having a EMF AP74 as a kid. Was a pretty neat rifle. How many of these rifles are still around? I dont seem to see much of them anymore. Also can someone post AP74 pics if possible?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:13:04 AM EDT
Had one for several years. Ran thousands of rounds thru it. Finally sold it when it was starting to need parts.

Fun gun but a bit fragile. Numrich has some parts.

I don't recall seeing more than a couple of them in the last twenty years. Were always pretty scarce and pretty expensive. As far as I know they are no longer imported, and haven't been for several years. I doubt if its still in production.

Looks exactly like an early M-16, including the prong type flash hider.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:32:07 AM EDT
I remember mine being fragile too, seemed the steel was really soft. after about 1000rds the hammer spring needed replaced. 2000rds the firing pin broke. adjustment screw for the rear sight stripped. I traded mine for a 10/22 when the parts started drying up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:48:05 AM EDT
I think my model came later and is designated AP-15 -- this particular rifle is in .32 automatic.
It is also fragile and I have been lucky to find parts -- I also have 5 of the 15 round mags for it plus the standard 8 round mag.

It's a lot of fun to shoot and it does have a bit of power for larger varmints.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:53:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 1:00:06 PM EDT by Melvin]
I got mine for a Christmas gift in 1985, was ordered from EMF. I also later had a AK-22 designated the AP-80 from the same manufacturer, Armi Jaeger in italy. It was plaged by the same soft steel issues. Good pic AR fan, anyone else have pics?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:14 AM EDT
I'm not sure it was even made of steel. The upper and lower looked like some kind of zinc pot metal alloy. The internals may or may not have been steel. Op rod was pot metal for sure, broke it right in two.

Really was an expensive toy. A fun toy. But a toy nonetheless.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:45:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 6:47:49 PM EDT by EARRNHARDT3]
Here is a picture of mine.
I bought it about 5 years ago from a local pawn shop for $200 w/o scope.
It works great. A spare mag cost half as much as the rifle did. The only thing that has broken on mine was the 3 prong plastic flash hider. So i got one from Numrich that was a real steel one from an AR-15 and they drilled the threads out and put in a heli-coil that was the same thread as the barrle. I was going to sell mine to a freind but my son wants to keep it so he can be like dad some day. I first seen one of these rifles almost 16 years ago at a pawn shop ina differnet state and i told my self if i ever saw one again i would buy it so i did. Its fun to shoot thats for sure.

Mine is an 22 lr caliber

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:33:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:23:16 AM EDT
I got mine in '86(?). I was heavily into .22 EBR's back then.
My AP-74 "was" an "A2" with round handguards, a birdcage FH, and the correct replica carry handle scope. A couple of years ago, I got a correct set of carbine handguards off of the old Rockin' Rimfires forums (which are now closed down) and last year I started to convert my "A2" into a "Commando" type carbine.
I'll post a before/after thread, when I get finished with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:36:04 AM EDT
I also remember seeing one with wood in the EMF catalog havent seen one up close though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:48:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Melvin:
I also remember seeing one with wood in the EMF catalog havent seen one up close though.

I bought an Armi Jaeger AP 74in the mid 80's, the butt & handguards were made of wood.
Wish the parts were plastic like the original M16 but couln't find them.
It functionned flawlessly for a year or so (fired thousands of rounds with it) then it became more & more unreliable, I eventually sold it.
It's a nice looking M16 replica but nevertheless it turned out to be nothing more than a piece of italian junk.
Never trust italian firearms since.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:27:23 PM EDT
I have one, mag is shot and my father managed to break it at the front take down pivot point on the upper (no idea how, wasn't around for that) Still locks up the upper and lower nice and tight though but I recently messed the finish up a bit when i was cleaning it with brake cleaner, i figured hey, if it doesn't hurt my AR's it won't hurt this.. yeah... I am considering refinishing it, maybe repairing the pivot point and selling it. Oh, and mine has an A1 type birdcage, not the 3 prong. My uncle has one as well and his has the 3 prong. What are these things worth nowadays? I would like to get rid of this thing and use the funds to get a dedicated 22LR AR upper, they worth that much?

Steve
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:54:20 PM EDT
Other observations of the one I owned. The buffer recoil assy was cheap white plastic. The front sight base was held on by 4 very soft hex head screws, there was no indentations on the barrel to align it so it was pretty much guess work to realign it after removal. The plastic used for the buttstock and handguards were very brittle. The trigger group parts appeared to be cheap cast pot metal, the rifle started doubleing after about 600 rounds. A neat looking rifle that was a real attention getter among 10 year old boys but a total piece of crap.
Top Top